Marisa & Justin's Fish Room

SunWyrm

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 180 gallon is a great size tank. It has stood the test of time. Most Reefers that are forced to downsize usually go with the 180 . Tagging along. If you guys need help LMK. Just my .02

Happy Reefing

(edited)

Thanks DCReefer, that's really encouraging. I'm trying to be optimistic and happy about it, but the house move plus the fish and the leak right above the fish tank are all ridiculously stressful right now.

Absolutely love the house. A grand total of 6 minutes from work, compared to my now hour plus. Beautiful yard, neighborhood, amazing schools....if we go that route. A dog door for Conan to go out whenever he wants, only downside is our now indoor cat can also use the same door. Not sure what to do about that one lol.

Mildly related to the hobby, but does anyone have any thoughts on installing hardwood floors upstairs with a fishtank in the basement? Any ill affects for the tank during the installation process? We can't decide on getting them now and somehow coordinating them around the time of the move (which is insanity) or later, but at that point the tank wont be moveable.

(note: no hardwood in the basement by the tank, just considering doing upstairs which is currently carpet/tile. Downstairs will probably be some bare cement shenanigans until the tank is done, afterwhich we were thinking of the easily replaceable and cheap peel n' stick that looks like wood from lowes, and won't be too terrible to replace  if  when there is flooding lol.)

Edited by SunWyrm

After looking over some horror stories at Reef central, I'm changing my mind lol. Hardwood floors should probably go in before the tanks... 

Great thread. Interesting to read and a lot to learn and read about. +1. Hope everything is okay during the move to your new house.

My wife and I are moving shortly, and we are going through great lengths to get hardwood BEFORE we move the tank.

Thanks tchun!

I'll lay out my timeline so you guys get an idea of why I didn't want to do this. We close on the 27th, so we're taking off work half the day, and then for the next two days as well. This equates to an amazing 5 and a half days to move. Should be cake right? Nope, lets toss hardwood in there first. :( Now I don't want to waste my vacation for nothing if we're not actively moving and have to wait for the installation. I guess my next move is to talk to a few places and see how long ordering and installation would be and how to best move forward.

I would really hate to move the tanks more than twice!  :unsure:

Fumes. Apparently you shouldn't have any persons or pets in the house at the time. I could try to seal off the tank, but I'd rather not take the chance if i can help it. 

I'll definitely look into it, but so far I know nothing about hardwood floors. Only that we wanted them in the new house and someone had mentioned the fumes so I started googling - I couldn't really find anything about installing them, only refinishing nightmares with regards to reef tanks. 

If you're new installation, you won't have to sand, stain, etc. The floors come prefinished. Check out Lumber Liquidators. They are extremely helpful and provide installation service for people who don't DIY. I've bought laminate (for my basement) from there (great prices) but have hardwood on my main floors. In fact, I still have a box of the hardwood floors left over from when the previous owner's re-did the floors in preparation for selling. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a finished basement, any dust from the installation process (nailing into subfloor causing dust, etc) will be caught by your finished ceiling drywall.

Congrats on the new home.

You are my favorite person today. Seriously, this was the biggest worry i had with the move. Since that's the case, we'll probably put off replacing the floors for a few months. Thank you!

Back to the fun part - planning the new tank build.

• 3 weeks later...

Woo! So after an exhausting, and very long weekend of moving... All the fish are still at the old house  :unsure: 2 hour long trips to feed them after work yay! Moving fish is hard.

So just a quick thought to you all, we have a water filter running for the whole house. It looks like just a simple 2 stage filter with GAC and a micron filter. How safe do you think it is to make up water at the new house using this, just until we get the RODI from the old house hooked up? 
I've got to make a ton of water for the fish move and it would be faster, but I'm worried about any drawbacks from the GAC.

But back to the fun part. What's the general consensus for in-wall tanks? Are metal or wood stands better? 

Pics to come soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I see you guys only respond to pics. Well here goes. Let the planning begin!

Let's start with the reasons we couldn't get the big tank down into the basement:
1. the top of the basement stairs, probably doable...
PXKAfuC.jpg

2. the first turn. if we take the light out, we might be able to shimmie it at least to here.
KUVlP6u.jpg

3. the bottom. here's where it gets tricky. the stair rail would have to come off, but you still wouldn't get anything over 30' past that weird corner. and 30' is probably scratching the walls.
VzKRVL2.jpg

7SqCd09.jpg

4.Did someone mention pushing it through a window?
FcrZLMG.jpg

The wall I want the tank to go on: (bonus Conan shot)
UMebICO.jpg

It's hard to explain, but I want the back of the tank to be against the wall facing in the picture. Start the end of the tank just past the outlet, even with the edge of the drop ceiling, and have my desk chair where the dog is so I can see the back of the tank from my desk...
Maybe a crude paint picture will help:

7vTvaZy.jpg

This was my initial idea, before we moved into the house and had the correct dimensions. This is not to scale at all and doesnt even look like it'll work lol. Very rough ideas and now probably sans bar, we'll see.
Myzn2Pg.jpg
Lfv4b3N.jpg

SMHKMhD.jpg
RClFVIe.jpg

That last pic brings me to why I'm so excited: a short door in the laundry room?
oqQQXW5.jpg

Well there's the back of the outlet... maybe I could put my electrical stuff back here with a dedicated circuit?
aaldPGc.jpg

Wait, more storage space? 
UIHFibp.jpg

I could fit a big sump and a lot of stuff back here!
nKD1Xrq.jpg

But I'm not good at this part, people. Give me some input on how to do this the best way.

I have access panels on the front top of my in wall tank.

What plumbing will the tank have?  Closed loop, internal overflow?

Oh how I wish there was. We actually were looking at the house 2 doors down when we saw this one for sale. It had 

Is there a basement door?

This is what I am not good at :(
All I know is that I'm hoping to reuse my hammer head pumps and my supremely large skimmer, but that might not be doable with this downgrade. What do you all think?

I have access panels on the front top of my in wall tank.

What plumbing will the tank have?  Closed loop, internal overflow?

I'm surprised they didn't make them put a full sized window in the basement before they sold it. That one doesn't meet code. You have no way out of the basement.

I'm surprised they didn't make them put a full sized window in the basement before they sold it. That one doesn't meet code. You have no way out of the basement.

It only doesn't meet code if they call the basement a "bedroom".