Marisa & Justin's Fish Room

SunWyrm

you need something like this to clean your tank. Much easier.

Mag float with scraper

used tank?

That looks great, I may have to get one as well!

Marisa, your tank is looking amazing. My coworkers give me a hard time about my tank size, and ask if I swim in it...but with yours that IS an option! clap.gif

*Just be ware of all the sharp, pointy, and venemous stuff!*

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks great, I may have to get one as well!

Marisa, your tank is looking amazing. My coworkers give me a hard time about my tank size, and ask if I swim in it...but with yours that IS an option! clap.gif

*Just be ware of all the sharp, pointy, and venemous stuff!*

Pretty sure I could lol. I did sit in it for hours on end doing the foam rock wall, but I'm pretty sure my fish and corals wouldn't appreciate me getting in there now. Maybe next upgrade I'll get one I can swim in with them!

Looks great guy's!! Congrats!! Your Herb gang is awesome!

Thanks! I just can't believe how incredibly well they're all doing together; they "school" all around the tank. It's unbelieveable to watch.

Oh dear god....upgrade from this? Ummm lets save you time building the tank, FLOOD YOUR BASEMENT! Lmao, that would be a fun tank. Snorkel under some LED lights, steering way clear of the lionfish we know you will put in there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gah I need to update this badly... Oh well, until it's done I've been pondering my livestock and I'm considering making some changes - or really just adding to the existing fish since the tank is so big I don't think anyone would do any harm if I added some more timid fish.

I've been researching anthias and other finicky eaters and since I'm already feeding Jan's food at least 2x a day I think some my favorites would be ok.

This is for later... when I can spend money on my reef again lol.

Current Stocklist: Here's to hoping I didn't forget anybody...

Purple Tang

Desjardini Tang

Orange Shoulder Tang

Blonde Naso Tang, male

Rabbitfish x 2

Coral Beauty pair

Clown pair

Mandarin pair

Bangaii Cardinal, male

Falco Hawkfish pair

Cyanae damsel pair

Yellow tail damsel

Azure damsel

Huchtii anthias, females x2

Inverts... inverts everywhere.

Wish List: Also hoping I don't forget anybody

Lori's Anthias

Smithvanizi or another anthias that doesnt require such cold temps (looking for suggestions) or perhaps I should bring my tank's temp down?

Longspine Cardinals

Flasher Wrasse

Various Leopard and halichoeres sp. wrasse

Pearly jawfish

Firefish (the reds are still my favorite, though I don't know if I should experiment with mixing)

A bunch of little gobies, like clowns and neons... maybe a hi fin with a shrimp

Some Tailspot blennies - and get rid of my devil lawnmower that's cost me $$$ in frags.

Also want to add my single F pink square anthias just so I can get rid of a tank lol.

I'm thinking of letting corals grow in more (and getting more) before adding some of these - just so there are more hiding places. I'm also not sure how I should go about trying to catch my damsels and huchtiis - or if I even should.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Wow, that tank is impressive!

You mentioned no mechanical filtration. Do you plan on a skimmer? How about chemical filtration? I have the Next Reef MR1 monster, its amazing! Especially since it fits standard GFO, and I don't need to buy the special more dense stuff. That saves A LOT OF MONEY!

Petland is a bit overpriced (shh don't tell them I said that!) but most LFS are. Their reasoning is shipping cost but if ppl do group buys that's irrelevant -sigh- they just don't listen.

There are some LFS that I love though, and my local Petco is amazing! I know Ima get hammered for that comment but for all they're problems, our petco really does have ppl who care... which is so important in a fish store. Yeah, they're bound to have ick and disease but that's not always their fault. And you can't be knowledgeable on every fish - although having google handy in-store is a must imo, or at least on customer's smart phones now - I don't impulse buy, I google/research on the way to checkout! hehe

Anyway sorry for the rant - I've had a lot of pain with LFS around here (and from working at LFS since I was 16) and am at the point where if I can't get it from someone on wamas, I'm just going to go online.

Beautiful fish though! I've always drooled over them. How big is he?

if its the Woodbridge Petco, I can never forgive them for telling me the Seaclone Skimmers are GREAT! That was my first reeftank mistake when I first started out. Now it sits in a box and I kick it every time I walk by...

I did get a nice black clown from them a couple of weeks ago for only 24.99 though. He is doing really well.

Josh, I'll have to get busy listing my equipment when it's all done. I do have a nice skimmer and all that good stuff that's just not hooked up yet. Basically, I've ran all my tanks since I started this hobby with only a powerhead, minimal LR/sand, and infrequent water changes... Probably why I haven't been very successful til now but with my tanks I have always been in the process of upgrading.

Ohaverd, I have since disowned them because of a baby purple tang that had HLLE at the same time my big guy was going through it. I argued with Helen about him and she insisted he was fine. It was bad :( There have been a bunch of other things wrong with the place, but it's definitely a buyer beware, and that was the tipping point for me.

I still go because they're so close, but I trust nothing from them and dont pay attention to a word they say. It's sad. I've gotten a few things since I've been in the hobby from them that are still doing great, but now when I buy something there, I pay with the expectation that it'll probably die and that's not a good feeling to have about any place.

Thanks Dave!

Rob, I actually really like chalk basslets - and forgot them on my list! - but I was thinking a group of 5. 6+ would be better? I'm thinking I might have too many fish in my mind as it is, as most of the new fish I'm thinking of I'd like to have at least small groups of.

I had a bad day yesterday, and actually contemplated getting out with the rest of them (or at least severely downgrading). But after coming home and seeing it in person I know I just couldn't give it up. Seeing all my fish after a bad day is just great and I dont know what I'd do without it. It's been tough with all the ups and downs of the reef tank - I just lost my Niger trigger, (he just went missing suddenly) and now my puffers are having a bout of ich. It's so frustrating.

Also looked into some other anthias to go with the Lori's... I think Randall's might be a good choice.

Maybe I should list out some numbers - I might be looking at too high of a bioload for all the sps my husband wants lol.

• 2 weeks later...

shh... don't jinx it!

...It's almost done!

(gimme a week or two to finish and clean the glass - so excited!)

• 1 month later...

It's done! IT'S DONE!!!!! WOO!

Many thanks to Quantum Reefs for their hard work on my tanks. I'm really impressed and very proud to show off the tanks now.

It's taking too long to upload photos from my phone to Imgur at work but here's a current (bad quality) FTS as of last night:

oszOANj.jpg?1

Thanks! I know the fish do ;) and it leaves me ton's of space for frags!

Kind of embarrassed of the picture and the tank's health in general, I've lost some corals and some have browned a bit - very busy with work since my Florida trip in January and haven't been able to pay as much attention. It's feeling pretty empty.

Don't be, it happens. When your free to put more time into it we know it will be amazing! I can't wait until the coraline algae covers all that foam. Maybe even someday it could be covered in living coral!

My psammacora frag is still encrusting nicely, shows that sps love the foam rock wall and it's really easy to glue frags to and pretty sturdy.

Bad news - all the new coraline didn't survive on the rocks. Good news - it disappeared from the front glass too!

I just went back through and read through this thread again... You have pretty much built my dream tank there. Its awesome! The black foam must have hit you hard in the wallet, mine is only a 125 gal and I must have spent $100 bucks alone on it. I had to order the Pond foam from amazon, but when I needed more after the rebuild because of the bad silicone, I saw that they had some at BRK too. How stable are the parameters in your tank? I've noticed that mine are extremely stable, I have yet to get a nitrite or nitrate reading, Idk if its just the shear amount of live rock or what... but before I built the foam rock walls my nitrate was always up and down. It also might be the Ev400 skimmer though too, its a little overkill for a 125. Also, how is that dward lionfish you bought from Petco doing?

Thank you!

I can think of some other things that hit me in the wallet a lot harder than that foam ;) All the corals and things I lost to my evil lawnmower blenny come to mind. $$$$$

The best part about the rock wall is the safe environment for pods and other life. There's no way my dragonets or an army of wrasse could go through all of them.

The worst is that I see detritus building up along the bottom and worry about that. I just keep tossing in bristle worms and other scavengers in there and gotta hope for the best til I can think of something. I didn't even use silicone to attach mine, I just sat inside the tank and foamed it straight to the acrylic (where'd all the pictures of that go??). I hate that I didn't do the left side too...

I also don't have very much live rock in the display itself, going to have to add some to the sump as I don't want to change the 360 and I like the minimal amount I have in the 180.

I know my parameters haven't been good while I haven't been focusing on the tank, now that the plumbing is all done and everything is linked I'm hoping everything will get better from here.

There's a 1g ghost shrimp tank next to the lionfish's temporary home. She watches it like a tv ALL the time. She has started to beg when she sees me, looking at me then the shrimp tank and back and forth, wiggling like she's about to go through the glass to get them. Now if only she'd be consistent with eating frozen I wouldn't worry so much! I'd like to put her in the 180 but I know at this point she'd be out-competed for food and starve.

She's not the purest yellow like some I've seen, but she's still keeping her color well and hopefully it'll perk back up. What's not yellow is a neat peach color.