Marisa & Justin's Fish Room

SunWyrm

Not the black pond foam. I think tuff stuff (?) is the one that degrades. Though I'm watching it carefully. Hopefully I don't have to reaquascape in a few years. What a nightmare that would be!

I've had some problems I didn't forsee. It has to be cured completely before water is added or it won't adhere properly. The last corner I did didn't cure long enough and bowed out from the bottom. I added rocks and it looks awesome though this has created a structure that I can't see behind :/

Also, there are so many nooks and crannies that all of my small fish (like my firefish, who have vanished) may go missing for long periods. It's great for pods but I can definitely see a problem with detritus getting trapped behind the foam wall in between the eggcrate.

Overall, I love the look still. Algae grows easily on it and it's pretty porous. So much swim space and not too many hiding spots but that will change as I add corals and they grow out. The foam looks clumpy in some places and I can tell where I made mistakes. One of my cans came out grey rather than black so there's that too...lol.

Working on plumbing very soon, and I'm dealing with a bad ich outbreak and other issues in my holding tanks. This is not a fun part of the adventure.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who wants an update?

I think it's long past due.LOTS of ups and downs with this build and it's still not finished!

A year after buying the tank I'm still not done with the plumbing but I have lights and livestock! So far there's only my test mollies and hermit crabs in, but this last weekend I added all my corals and everything is looking fantastic.Frags I thought were gonners have sprung back to life and my corals that I thought were doing fine are looking better than ever. I'm still very nervous about adding any of my precious fish. Especially since the first time I cycled this tank and added fish they died (or lasted only to vanish as with my firefish). I was incredibly afraid that it may have been the glue that was used on the large barnacle piece I got on Ebay. However I think it could have been anything from water quality to the aquascape and poor lighting making the tank look terrifying and unsafe stressing the newly added fish. Also I know that this tank will most likely never be able to be moved. Due to one being it's so heavy that I dont think my husband ever wants to go through that. The corals and other things will be growing on the rockwall which is permanently attached to the tank which I think would make a move very difficult. And lastly it will be impossible to get certain fish out and drain the tank because of all the nooks and hidey holes they could potentially stick themselves in.

Anyways... The foam rockwall has algae and all kinds of lovelies growing now. I have green coraline on the front that's taking me forever to clean off because I can't see lol. And my first test corals (including a red monti cap and green psammacora)that I added a few weeks ago have some noticeable growth!

Since my clowns are the easiest catch, I just grabbed them with their anemone as the first official residents of the 360. They're acclimating as I type.Then it's anyones guess as to who I can catch next. I'll probably have to rip the other tanks apart trying to get everyone or invest in a nice fish trap.

My biggest snag is my tang issue. I have a purple tang, orange shoulder (who are best buds), and a desjardini and male(?) blonde naso (who are also best buds). Aside from the orange shoulder, these are all large fish. I'm thinking I need to add a few more territories in the rockwork before both Zebrasoma's make it in, though I'm fairly certain these two need to go in on the same day (and I'm thinking that having their buddies will make the transition smoother). I just know that I'll have to tear down everything to get at them, and then I might as well grab everyone. Wooo bioload! Of course I would love to follow my little addition list where everyone goes in this perfect order 2 by 2. But from previous tank move experience I know that's definitely not how it happens.

Another addition issue: Huchtii anthias. Due to my original male dying soon after getting them and then many aggression issues following, I'm down to my dominant female (now turning a pretty silver green) and my 2 lowest on the totem pole females. While they have settled into a very stable trio (from what I've read that's not the norm for huchtii, they "require" a group of 10+) I'm wondering if I should get more for the recommended size harem, and how would I go about qt'ing and adding 7+ to my established group. In a perfect world I'd get all tiny females and add them a day or so prior to my harem, but again that's never how it goes. I might get another juvi male (my old male tolerated my juvi male very well, but when the dominant female decided to change things got ugly) or my 2 females might take out a few new females out in the fight for dominance. There's way too much drama in my tanks.

Anywho...photos incoming.

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Keep in mind, while we usually say pics don't do this justice - well I think pics make mine look downright terrible.

OF COURSE I would forget to wipe down the outside of the glass. Didn't notice any streaks until the photos were in Imgur. Oh well, enjoy a full tank shot until I can get the rest uploaded.

LgcUF.jpg

zjRVJ.jpg

Wow, it looks amazing! I bet you spent more on lighting than I have on my whole system! I hope they work, for you. I am always looking for something I can use on my 160 deep. I really want some LED's. How is this lighting at the bottom of your tank? How deep is the tank?

Wow, it looks amazing! I bet you spent more on lighting than I have on my whole system! I hope they work, for you. I am always looking for something I can use on my 160 deep. I really want some LED's. How is this lighting at the bottom of your tank? How deep is the tank?

We definitely shot the wad with the lights! Although we think they were very much worth it. The corals at the bottom of the tank are loving the light. Definitely more than they had, and yet low enough to become adjusted and recover. The tank is 2' deep and the lights are about 5" above I think. I LOVE that the lights are "scootable" along the tank. I can slide them over easily when working in the tank and still have plenty of light to see what I'm doing (great for acclimating new corals to the light as well). They have great coverage.

Awesome tank! It will look amazing when its full.

It will definitely look better when full! I'm almost embarrassed now looking at the pics. It really doesnt look as good. I've got my waterchange station all setup so adding more is easy... it's just that I can only do it in 35g increments lol.

Wow that looks awesome! liking the foam rock wall!

Thanks! I love how much room I have on the sandbed, but all that openness is worrying me as far as territories for tangs and my other "aggressive" fish. Can't wait to have corals grown out all over the place though!

I would love to come and take pic's of you tanks sometime.

We would love for you to!

The clowns are in as of last night, and loving it! The anemones look gorgeous, I can't believe how good they look! I really wish I could've gotten some pictures, but the moonlights were still on when I left for work early this morning and I couldn't get a nice shot with my silly camera.

I'll post more when I get home. Imgur's not working for me at the moment. Sorry work crowd!

Edited by YiatzOfEden

We would love for you to!

The clowns are in as of last night, and loving it! The anemones look gorgeous, I can't believe how good they look! I really wish I could've gotten some pictures, but the moonlights were still on when I left for work early this morning and I couldn't get a nice shot with my silly camera.

I'll post more when I get home. Imgur's not working for me at the moment. Sorry work crowd!

Just let me know when you would like me to come by.

Jake

Wow, can't wait to this this finished and full!

Me neither! I think I bought the tank a year ago?? lol

Well, I promised more pics and keep getting distracted. These are now completely outdated as I finished adding all corals, clams, cucumber and cleaner shrimp, some more rock (yay territories!) and my lonely male banggai cardinal who hangs out with the clowns IN their anemone. (Is it just me or does everyone seem to end up with a lonely male banggai?) Again, sorry for the poor quality pics.

How much water I have fill still:

(I'll get you guys pics of the rest later, poor imgur stopped working again)

One of my in-rockwall frag racks! Needs to be bigger lol.

Torch is back to purple under these leds. tongue.gif

**AAND all my links are broken! :( of course....

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Well it looks like no pics today - only place I can get to Imgur is at home, and when I'm home my husband won't leave me alone to update! Gotta move fish he says!

It's also looking like I'm going to have to take out all the rocks from both tanks to catch anyone and everyone.

Anyone move that much livestock to a newish tank all at the same time before? Do I just watch the levels and do a few waterchanges?

I don't think I have a choice on when to add the purple and desjardini, should they go in same time, same day, or can it be a day apart? Maybe purple first, since he's a touch smaller and calmer? It's going to be a nightmare if they don't get along.

Sorry for the delay in pictures, and for all the algae. Everyone's officially in their new homes and I am tired.

Great news for those that missed it in the third picture - my purple tang and desjardini are getting along very well. Added purple last night, desjardini this morning and after the lights came on they had a little posturing and now all 6 herbivores swim together and follow me along the tank.

Just after I threw in some food:

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Thanks! We've got a Hydor magnum 7 or 8 at the moment until plumbing is finished.

I tweaked it a bit a couple days ago and came home yesterday to 2 heads gone from my torch. Does that seem unusual to anyone else? I added new water at the same time to raise the water level and moved the powerhead up. Everyone else seems fine, including the other 3 heads on my torch.

I would be more concerned with the hair algae then anything else right now. Seems to be other green algae growing on the rocks too. Get ahead of it before it get too much.

(edited)

blush.gif

I should update my pics again! The "turf" algae (was very short compaired to hair algae and quite pretty) was gone the day after these pics were taken. Much thanks to all my grazers. I have a couple patches left of bryopsis, which aren't showing signs of coming back after I pull them up.

The real pain is the green coralline growing on the front of the tank. Just the depth of the tank and the bracing makes it extremely hard to get to and it grows much faster than purple.

I'm sure I'm adding fuel to the fire as I need to change my RO filters (and including the bioload with no mechanical filtration to speak of atm), but I'm not terribly concerned over the algae itself since I have so many herbivores. I'd feel bad if I didn't have algae for them to graze on naturally.

Edit: Not saying I'm not going to change the filters or get the plumbing up to speed asap! lol

Edited by YiatzOfEden

Ooh! Thanks, I'll have to get one and see how it does. I've been using the Mr Clean magic erasers with my fingernail, not good on the manicure but it does a nice job. I've tried the regular acrylic scrapers and they all scratched my tank even more than it was.

It's a used tank yes, and there was some coralline that we never got off, but ever since I added lights (seriously loving them) everything has been growing like weeds.