Please SPS Help needed ASAP!

Reefoholic

Hey guys,

My tank was thriving and everything was growing like nobody's business since 2 weeks ago when everything decided to turn brown. I have been checking my salinity, Alk and Calcium with all the other parameters daily and everything is stable. I have done regular water changes and honestly I am out of answers. I am suspecting it is the new AI fixture but I acclimated my corals to the LEDs over weeks, gradually ramping up the intensity.

Here are some before and after pics...

June 22

5860741211_4c44764ebb_b.jpg

Now:

6116446040_96782c0f4b_b.jpg

June 10

5819550872_102a4cf321_b.jpg

Now (Notice the growth but it turned brown and no polyp extension all of a sudden. I love this one)

6116446458_f47d35d071_b.jpg

Close-up shot...

6116445992_59a0221046_b.jpg

I am very frustrated and disappointed right now. I dunno what is killing my SPS...

Thanks for your advice and thanks for looking!

Matt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you cut down feeding? Also just to point out...the before pics were all without flash and the after pics were all WITH flash which typically makes SPS look plain brown. The lack of PE is probably due to a lack of feeding. My SPS polyps are out day and night because I feed 3x a day with frozen and then add liquid food every other day. Given that my system can handle this because I run biopellets, SPS corals still need food, if you think about it, they are built to eat more than any other coral, they have the most surface area devoted to eating except a coral such a scoly.

Thanks for your reply Max,

I cut off feeding completely when an expert in this hobby suggested that the SPS needs very little food almost none. I used to feed almost 2 times every day but it has been a while since i stopped feeding them.

Can someone please enlighten us on whether or not to feed SPS???

thanks!

it's not only the lack of larger zooplankton (brine shrimp, cyclopeeze) but also I noticed a HUGE difference when I started a liquid regimen of Roti Feast, Oyster Feast and Aquavitro Fuel. HTH

I just fed them with Roti Feast. I am gonna order some more yummy food for them as well. Also, I increased the intensity of my lights some too. Now, it is a waiting game...

Thanks everyone for their input!

Are there any experienced reefers in DC? I need someone senior in this hobby to be my guest and have a cup of coffee (or beer) and check out my system please.

PM me if interested...

Dont worry just Be patient. as long they are growing the color will come back after they adjusted from the LEDs lighting. Same thing to my SPS they turned brown under the LEDs but after couple months now the colors starting coming back.

This is my 72 3w cree leds lighting.

001-1.jpg

Thanks Andy!

I also revised my LED lighting schedule and I am thinking now that maybe I wasn't giving them enough light because I was afraid if bleaching the corals. So they had a long acclimation period. Oh well.

I use Brightwell Salt and I found out recently that actually it does not have added minerals in it. What do you guys use? How can I supplement for the trace minerals and what not?

Thanks!

I use D-D H2Ocean and I think it's phenomenal versus Reef Crystals which I used to use. It's so nice to have a salt that has balanced Ca and Alk right after mixing, no more playing with calcium chloride or baking soda, just even balanced dosing. I'm not sure how important the "trace minerals" that you say are missing from the brightwell salt really are, I'm sure it has the essential trace elements, and with a good water change schedule they will stay balanced. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I had a big problem with browning when I switched to AI Blues. You probably need to crank them up a bit. I run 5 modules over a 60" tank at 100 percent. Colors are coming back. Make sure you tank has some Iodine in it. It is essential to prevent burning as you increase the light.

If the LED is the AI SOL it also may be the culprit. I have three of the SOL Blue and they can fry SPS very quickly because of the intensity. What is the highest percentage you are running them at. There are a lot of really long forum posts on Reefcentral about them as well. Most people are ramping them up over several months not weeks. You may want to give them a read

Sounds like the T5's worked just fine... Hmmmm.... I also think the "heavy" feeding is VERY overrated.. Good consistant water chemistry, and consistant lighting grow corals better than any super food. You have had 3 or 4 different lighting systems, and added a lot of coral to a small tank... You have lots of possibilities why your corals are browning and or dieing.. You dont need an expert, you need to leave it alone..

<br />Sounds like the T5's worked just fine... Hmmmm.... I also think the "heavy" feeding is VERY overrated.. Good consistant water chemistry, and consistant lighting grow corals better than any super food. You have had 3 or 4 different lighting systems, and added a lot of coral to a small tank... You have lots of possibilities why your corals are browning and or dieing.. You dont need an expert, you need to leave it alone..<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ouch! I was just asking for guidance and also I wanted to find someone who is close by in DC since everyone on this forum lives deep down in the suburbs.

I appreciate your watching my progress closely and your expert advice very much so THANKS.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.887892,-77.092792

Sounds like the T5's worked just fine... Hmmmm.... I also think the "heavy" feeding is VERY overrated.. Good consistant water chemistry, and consistant lighting grow corals better than any super food. You have had 3 or 4 different lighting systems, and added a lot of coral to a small tank... You have lots of possibilities why your corals are browning and or dieing.. You dont need an expert, you need to leave it alone..

+1

Some good inputs on this. I agree feeding will increase the health of your corals, I believe the browning was more due to your lighting than the feeding. The browning is probably due to an overgrowth of zooxanthelae adjusting to your new lighting. Either they are just adjusting to the different type or perhaps like someone else suggested it is not enough and trying to compensate (I'm not too familiar with LEDs par and their adjustment from t5/mh).

The feeding might indirectly help it by giving it the nutrition it needs and thus less need for the abundance of zooxanthelae to process energy. So give it time, feed a bit (not too much at once obviously so you don't get an algae outbreak and unbalance your tank) and see how things go over next couple days.

<br />Some good inputs on this. I agree feeding will increase the health of your corals, I believe the browning was more due to your lighting than the feeding. The browning is probably due to an overgrowth of zooxanthelae adjusting to your new lighting. Either they are just adjusting to the different type or perhaps like someone else suggested it is not enough and trying to compensate (I'm not too familiar with LEDs par and their adjustment from t5/mh).<br />

<br />

The feeding might indirectly help it by giving it the nutrition it needs and thus less need for the abundance of zooxanthelae to process energy. So give it time, feed a bit (not too much at once obviously so you don't get an algae outbreak and unbalance your tank) and see how things go over next couple days.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for the input. I have started feeding and increased the light density a little and already everything seems to be doing better.

My zoas are growing fast, so are the frog spawn and Duncan. Acans are hunting every night. I must be doing something right.

I am going to focus on keeping the parameters stable from now on.

Also, I have read the dreadfully long posts on RC (and many other forums) about AI LEDs. Everyone seems to have their own opinion. I have come to realize that there is never a stock solution for these micro ecosystems we create in our homes.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.906910,-77.044757