ammonia help!!!!!!!

Guest alex wlazlak

Quarterly water bill w/o RO/DI - $30

Quarterly water bill w/ RO/DI - $40

Hapiness of my little fishes, crabs, snails, mushrooms, polyps, etc - priceless!!!

:lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex wlazlak

i was just looking on ebay, 115+25 for shiping.its 6 stages, and 110 gallons per day!pretty good if i might say so myself!thanks you guys, lots of help.i dont really want to put too much money towards my 55 anymore cause im saving for a 90..:/but whatever.ill probly give my tang back to the store i got it from, but that is unless it dies :angry: .

Guest alex wlazlak

several hermit crabs always die..is it okay if i leave the dead ones in the tank?!??

Guest ScubaTodd
i dont really want to put too much money towards my 55 anymore cause im saving for a 90..:/

32552[/snapback]

i give up :huh:

Guest mikesroth
Quarterly water bill w/o RO/DI - $30

Quarterly water bill w/ RO/DI - $40

Hapiness of my little fishes, crabs, snails, mushrooms, polyps, etc - priceless!!!

:lol:

32550[/snapback]

Oh, I full recomend RO/DI for your tanks. I just don't think you want to use it for ALL your water. That's where it would get a bit expensive. Well unless you don't drink as much water as my family does. I'd have to make the kids drink Soda instead of water... LOL

Michael,

You're right about not using it for ALL your water needs. I wouldn't exactly wash my car with RO/DI water, nor shower in it. :rolleyes: But for cooking, drinking, icemaking, tea/coffee brewing, ironing, RO water is the best.

Also, Most RO/DI units allow you to bypass DI stage for human consumption, and have a separate output for aquarium use.

-Rob

Guest alex wlazlak

do you guys know where i can get a very cheap, 4-6 stage unit? i was looking on ebay and they had some for around $150..thats pretty cheap, but any suggestions to a cheaper one?

i dont really want to put too much money towards my 55 anymore cause im saving for a 90

Just in case we head toward this,

You can use the same RO/DI on the 55 and then use the same one for the 90.

I hear some people use the same one for several different sized tanks with no problems.

do you guys know where i can get a very cheap, 4-6 stage unit? i was looking on ebay and they had some for around $150..thats pretty cheap, but any suggestions to a cheaper one?

32618[/snapback]

second what chip said,

if you want a 4 stage keep checking, i got mine for under $100 on ebay from the filter direct people

Guest alex wlazlak

the kind on ebay seem like they are like a generic brand..would they still work just as good as a coralife or an good name brand ones?second, my dad doesnt know why the H-E-double hocky sticks id wanna spend 100-200 on a ro/di unit..he says spring water is just the same.:/..so can you guys tell me what the diference betwen ro/di water and spring water?he thinks spring water is the same as ro/di water.its really pissing me off, cause he doesnt think i need one!

spring water would be ok if the tds reads below 10. which natural spring water is not. some of the stuff from the store that says spring water is distilled, which i have not used. i assumed if it is distilled the tds would be low.

when you add up the cost of going to the store, considering gas, actual money the water cost with tax, over the year IMO it would be more economical to spend the initial investment on the RODI and then the rest be on you water bill.

Guest alex wlazlak

but would you say the ro/di in the post i put up earlyer would be good?

it looks good i wouldn't use the extra tank though. im not sure how the inside of the tank is weather it is bare metal or not. you might be able to find one cheaper without the tank. that is what i bought from ebay. it cost around 85 bucks w/ shipping. 110gpd i think. but i bought a ro membrane that has a smaller orifice in the flow restricter to tone it down a bit.

Guest alex wlazlak

thanks, ill probly end up getting one like that then for 100 buckeroos.

Alex,

Don't probably, please do. Tell dad that 98% of the problems of Salt Water Aquariums START with using TAP water! This means LESS money that he will spend down the road to help out with your hobby!!

Let him know that this is BASIC 101 for SW Aquariums and IS NOT A LUXURY!

Wish you well and glad to see your making the right decisions!

Will keep helping to make your interest an easier one!

Your next step will be to go to Home Depot, Lowes or paint store and pickup about Three+ 5 gallon buckets or some other large containers to hold NOTHING ELSE but your RO/DI water to keep on hand for Daily Evaporation refills and at least 1 bucket of premade Salt Water (always mix 2-3 days before doing using) for your water changes.

In the mean time, if you don't already have it, Get test kits to test Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites and don't to another thing to your tank until your reading zero on all 3 test to allow the Cycling Process to finish up.

Sorry you have to take the Tang back, but put it as a learning experience, learn from it and move on.

Good luck!

Howard

Guest alex wlazlak

does anybody have a ro/di unit for sale?i was looking in this magazine called dr.smith and foster or somthing like that..and they had a kent maxxima,ro/di unit, with 4 stages, and had 35 gpd for $220, does it seem resonable?

Pick one and buy it for crying out loud. They all work better than what you are doing.

32771[/snapback]

Ha, that is an awesome answer!!! Flowerseller is right, all the RO/Di units you are looking at are good. Just pick one up and start using it asap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4386430479&rd=1

buy this one, I have a similar one from these guys and have had no problems and they sell all the replacement filters at decent prices. You don't need the holding tank but I suggest getting the extra garden hose/faucet attachement. They have great customer service also.

But I do agree with Flowerseller and Rocko918, you need one soon to fix your problems and I don't believe the name brand matters at this point

Doug

Just do it Alex. ..

I've noticed you've been scoping for a used unit - I'm all about getting a deal on used equipment, but RO/DI is something that you DO NOT want to buy used. The reason for that is that the RO membrane is the heart of the system and there is no way that you can check if it's in good condition. It can be easily ruined if connected to a wrong water source - e.g. high temperature, high chlorine water. Get it new and you are ensuring that it will work like it should.

Would you ever consider buying 'used' oil filter for your car??? :blink:

-Rob

In the long run, the RO/DI will save you money over buying bottled water. Spring water is safe for drinking, IMO it is probably not suitable for a reef tank. Distilled would be a better choice if you are going with bottle water.

At the root of it, most RO/DI's are the same. The key is good filter media and membranes... the housings and rack are just there to hold and keep the water going where it should be going essentially.

Here is the one I would buy... errr I did buy about two years ago. I would add one thing to the order, a float valve. That way you can buy a trash can(container), drill a hole in the side, mount the float valve and make your water in there without having to turn it on and off manually. I flooded my basement twice before buying this $12 item. A TDS meter is another item that is worthwhile. You want to be able to check you water quality from time to time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2351113491&rd=1

Benefits of this system: clear housings, Deltec RO, Re-fillable clear DI housing... everthing you need to get started. (minus float valve)

On another note, this "hobby" isn't cheap. If you are having trouble with a ~$130 item, you might want to re-think going to a 90 in the very least. Finding a cheap tank for instance is a false positive. The associated equipment and ongoing maintenance for a larger tank is a chunk of change and time. I hope I don't come off as a "Negative Nellie".... just trying to be realistic with you.

I got a similar RO/DI and a float valve.

When the float valve shuts off flow, the unit leaks water.

No different than when I forget to turn the unit off.