Just when you think everyone is reef safe!

rocko918

So for months now i have been trying to figure out who has been eating my zoos. I had to remove all zoa's to my frag tank. I first thought it was my Blue Jar triggers, but lost the female and the male now hides all the time and does not come out of the left side of the tank. All the zoas were bottom right side of the tank. So i looked at my yellow wrasse, must be him as he is always picking at them, around them. Caught it and put it in the sump. Put 2 test zoa frags in the main tank. with in 2 hours they were gone, someone ate the polyps right off the frags. So now only the fish left are:

Yellow tang

scopus tang

Powder Blue tang

Naso tang

Blue Hippo tang

Yellow Eye kole tang

orange spot watchman

red scooter blenny

male mandarin

4 line wrasse

So i setup a chair off to the side of the tank and drop in a frag. All the tangs come over and pick at the algae on the frag but no one bites the zoas. 45mins i sit there and nothing. So i remove the frag as i was tired of waiting. Try it again another night. Bingo i catch the monster in the act.

Anyone want to guess which fish it is? Free setosa frag for the first person to get it right, you gotta come pick up the frag from my house and i will only hold it for a month. please dont make the free frag a big deal, its for fun.

Blue hippo

If I am correct I'll pass on the setosa. I have a huge colony. Give it to the first newie that can pick it up.

Edited by Jan

watchman

:) I go for the naso (and no frag for me)

I second the Blue hippo - I've had two start randomly eating zoas after years of being fine with them...

Blue hippo

If I am correct I'll pass on the setosa. I have a huge colony. Give it to the first newie that can pick it up.

I second the Blue hippo - I've had two start randomly eating zoas after years of being fine with them...

Winner Winner Chicken dinner.

Now the fun starts, trying to catch it. I have since removed the powder blue, Naso, Yellow with my fish trap but the hippo is not going anywhere near it. May have to drain and divide the tank so i can get him out.

Jan, if you want you can come over and pick something else out.

Try putting some zoas in the fish trap......that should get him in!!

Yea i thought of that but i have all kinds of food in there that is more enticing than the zoa's. I have left the trap in the tank for a week now.

Yay!! When I was stocking my tank I read somewhere that every now and then Dory craved zoas; lil freak that she is.

When are you available? I need salt so I need to make a trip to see John or Sean today or tomorrow. Let me know.

Thank you.

Winner Winner Chicken dinner.

Now the fun starts, trying to catch it. I have since removed the powder blue, Naso, Yellow with my fish trap but the hippo is not going anywhere near it. May have to drain and divide the tank so i can get him out.

Jan, if you want you can come over and pick something else out.

My blue hippo recently started to attack my LPS. Killed my open brain I got from Jan and nearly killed my candy cane. It was fast too, in the two days it took figure out who was doing it the brain was already to far gone.

OH NO SHE DIDN'T!!! Awww, that was such a nice big brain. To heck with the candy cane. I'd want to drown her!!!!

My blue hippo recently started to attack my LPS. Killed my open brain I got from Jan and nearly killed my candy cane. It was fast too, in the two days it took figure out who was doing it the brain was already to far gone.

How about a nice buzz bait that looks like a zoa? :tongue:

If that fails, feed into a clear container and scoop it out. I usually can catch most fish within 10 minutes of doing this.

Shoot ours would be easy to catch, he sleeps in the same spot everynight with his yellow tail hanging out of the rocks. I wonder if yours does that and you can sneak up on him at night and pull him out by the tail!? No but really this thread is disturbing since I think our halfback angle is eating the tips off of some acros. And we have a bicolor which I have heard horror stories about, now this?

Hmmm... my hippo has grown to about 8" or so - and while I have never seen him eating corals, he DOES decide where they belong in the tank. He can pick up half-pound rocks, and distribute them around the tank. No 'frags' in the 240, unless they are well attached.

darned fish... they look pretty, but they sure can get in the way of growing coral!

bob