Josh's 160 upgrade

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I'm occasionally using B-ionic. But I don't like dosing until I get the right tests. So at most I add 25 ml of each component every week or two. I will be getting a couple hanna checkers next week. I just have little faith in my two year old el cheepy kits.

• 1 month later...

One of my astrena stars says hello.

2011-12-16144249.jpg

(I nocked it off the acrylic when I moved that kenya tree away from the pagoda)

Edited by LanglandJoshua

I am trying to think of what kind of chiller I should put on this "sustem". I used the JBJ calculator and it said 1/5th HP. I was thinking of one upping that to a 1/4 HP. But the price difference between the 1/4 and 1/3 has me thinking of just going all out. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!

Bigger chillers take a lot more power, make A LOT more heat. Ive had a 1/3 and 1/10, both current chillers, I was pleased with the job they did, but I dont care to ever need to own another chiller.

It would be placed under the house in a crawl space (possibly). This area is cold year round. I can place a fan in there if needed. That may help with the temp. But would you just suggest sticking with 1/4 then? I plan to add more gear and lights later. The cooling power I need will go up.

Another piece of news...I bought reefkeeper elite, when I tried to remove the temp probe from the SL1 unit it got stuck. The lever lock(name?) on the plug would not release even when I pressed very hard. Then my finger slipped and out came the wire....so I emailed the company(digital aquatics). They refused to help, claiming it was not under warrantee. I am just frustrated that the wire was so loosely attached. Has anyone else had this issue? Since they won't replace it or even let me trade in the original probe I think I will let my father have a go a repairing it. Such a simple issue is holding up getting my tanks temperature swings under control. They aren't bad from 76.5-81 throughout an entire 24 hour period.

• 3 weeks later...

My overflow system is just thre PVC pipes streight into my sump. Which makes lotsw of noise. Anyone have a suggestion on how to shut this thing up?

check out the bean animal system or the herbie system. both work very well. I'm running the bean animal overflow with a basement sump and am very happy with it.

check out the bean animal system or the herbie system. both work very well. I'm running the bean animal overflow with a basement sump and am very happy with it.

This will work best if you have an overflow box. If you just have drilled overflows, (pvc, elbows, and bulkheads) there is no way to efficiently conduct surface skimming. I tried this method but ended up with an oily sheen due to lack of surface skimming. I even tilted the "emergency" pipe to allow a trickle of water over it to conduct the skimming. It worked but not as well as I wanted. :angry:

If you have an overflow box, this will surely quiet your system.

Ron

If I am correct they both have a specific design for the actual overflow in the tank. I just need to silence the falling water a bit in my sump. I'm not wanting to rebuild the system.

Onux, I have a mag pump 1800. With my flow rate and power heads creating surface turbulence I have no oily surface mess. Which is why I want to keep the system thats on the tank now.

Onux, I have a mag pump 1800. With my flow rate and power heads creating surface turbulence I have no oily surface mess. Which is why I want to keep the system thats on the tank now.

Roni and I thought you were looking for ways to quiet your overflow. Which the Bean Animal or herbie will do quite well.

If you are trying to quiet your sump, try extending the piping below the sump water level and add a U at the end of the pipe, directing the water back up. That should quiet the splashing in the sump.

Tank looks like it's doing well! Just wondering, have you had any of your baby peppermint shrimp actually grow to full size, or how big have they gotten? Any pics?

Tank looks like it's doing well! Just wondering, have you had any of your baby peppermint shrimp actually grow to full size, or how big have they gotten? Any pics?

Thanks, they are just mysis. I will put the video of one I caught up. :sleep:

I'll also try to get a FTS tomorrow. How is your nano? I've not heard anything lately.

Roni and I thought you were looking for ways to quiet your overflow. Which the Bean Animal or herbie will do quite well.

If you are trying to quiet your sump, try extending the piping below the sump water level and add a U at the end of the pipe, directing the water back up. That should quiet the splashing in the sump.

Yeah, I guess I asked the wrong thing. Now that you put it that way...I want my sump to SHUT UP! :laugh:

Thanks, they are just mysis. I will put the video of one I caught up. :sleep:

I'll also try to get a FTS tomorrow. How is your nano? I've not heard anything lately.

As in they're just mysis shrimp but you call them peppermints, or they're the size of mysis? It's doing well, I haven't updated the thread recently but need to!

I just caught a LARGE bristle worm. It was just sitting out by some rock. The video is bellow.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid968.photobucket.com/albums/ae163/wolfsfang2/video-2012-01-05-20-38-25.mp4

When I pulled it out of the tank. It stretched out set least 7".

• 3 weeks later...

I found a small leak in some piping under the tank. This piping is getting to be about 2-3 years old(from previous owner). There are multiple places that seem to have salt creep, and at least two dripping. Some electrical tape has stoped most of the drip for now. I made another topic to get advice and decide what I would do. Now I plan to empty the tank, dry it out, and REBUILD! The pictures bellow show what I have now, and the space I have to use. Its going to feel like restarting all over again! :cry: But this time I will use: manifolds, gate valves, ball valves, and couplers. This will free up space for reactors, and other gear as well! So things will be fresh, clean, new, and ORGINIZED! The system was set up in a bit of a hurry, and has never looked pretty. Its time to fix that! This will be an adventure! Any suggestions, advice, or help would be extremely appreciated! :clap:

Here is the corner, this photo is old. I plan to rebuild similar to this. Except there will be more space on the left between the wall and the tank for my reeflo dart 3600gph pump that is running the CL system. A manifold will run the lower backside of the tank for reactors. Two other manifolds will run along the back for the overflow and input for the CL. That will be powered by my mag 18 pump. My corners dimensions are 5'x5'5".

2011-11-14100938.jpg

All wires will be in wraps, maybe even glow in the dark!

2012-01-10195630.jpg

Now for the piping that leaked, the electrical tape is black and you can easily see where it started leaking.

2012-01-21211857.jpg

2012-01-21211939.jpg

2012-01-21211904.jpg

2012-01-21211910.jpg

Here is a view of the tank before I set it up.

2011-07-16094817.jpg

Some piping views, some of these pics can be seen on my origional posts. But to make it easier I will post them here.

2011-07-16225424.jpg

2011-07-16175832.jpg

2011-07-16090555.jpg

WOW.. cant wait for you to start rebuilding,,, that electrical tape scares me :(

need lots and lots of blue glue for the re-build, lol

Maybe you should buy some stock in PVC piping???