Glass tank cover vs light loss

xyrophobic

I am new to this hobby and starting my first tank this weekend hopefully and had a question. Not sure if this is the correct forum or whether I should start a build thread, let me know and here goes:

Anyone have any thoughts or links that discuss the pros and cons of having a glass hood/cover to reduce evaporation and escapees vs possible light loss? My tank came with glass covers and I was considering using them to keep the display tank cleaner. My sump is in a different room and will be open to the air. I realize heat is a consideration but my tanks will be in a basement that runs around 65 degrees year round. I have not fully chosen a lighting system yet either but am leaning toward a 48" 2 bulb Aquaticlife t5 system and will add LEDs in a few months (either a DIY strip or par38 spots on track lighting). I do not plan on havng anything in the tank except rock and CUC before getting the LEDs at which point I will slowly add stuff. I am aiming more toward a coral tank though I have not really mapped out what to add yet.

75 gallon reef ready tank, 29g sump, 20 gal refugium.

Personally, I don't like covers. I gave up covers soon after entering the hobby. An open top can be helpful because it facilitates better air exchange, and greater evaporation. Evaporation helps in two areas: Reduced heat build up (through cooling) and increased use of kalkwasser (for better calcium and alkalinity maintenance).

I used glass covers early on.....but it's widely accepted to use an open top.

Additional evaporation is desirable in order to add Kalk via auto top-off. Additional light is desirable for coral growth, and glass covers get dirty with salt and reduce light. Some people build use netting or egg-crate to stop fishes from jumping.

I used glass covers early on.....glass covers get dirty with salt and reduce light. Some people build use netting or egg-crate to stop fishes from jumping.

I have also wondered about my covers, but even with the small gaps I have I've lost several fish to carpet-surfing (or surfing on the wrong side of the cover - the phrase "baked to a delicate crunch" comes to mind). Recently I tried placing egg crate on one side of my tank and left the (recently cleaned) glass cover on the other side. Both my wife and daughter -- whose eyes are better than mine -- said the side with the glass cover was brighter (i.e. there was more light loss through the eggcrate than the cover).

I haven't tried netting yet; I might give that a shot at some point. I will say I have not had any apparent problem with insufficient gas exchange or heat build-up with the covers intact.

I don't like, and don't use, glass covers. If you do use them, don't sit light fixtures directly on them because the heat can break them (known from experience and a dunked light fixture that had to be thrown away).

I'd be less worried about light loss than keeping heat. If you're looking to keep fish in I would do a top of black pond netting held in place by window screen frame (the latter can be bought at HD or Lowes) the netting with block less light than glass tops will.