What is your reef safety net

El Camaron

Just wondering about what other reefers have as a safety net for when or if disaster strikes, and what is more important for if power goes out, to keep flow going or a heater? I just bought a Vortech battery backup and well it says its good for up to 3 days when powering an MP10 but i have nothing for keeping heat.

Battery backup for my Vortechs and a small gas-powered generator. In my opinion, in-tank flow is more important than temperature at the beginning of an event. Good surface flow can help with aeration, too, which is very important as well.

I am saving my pennies for a small honda portable generator. They are expensive but run for days on a small amount of gas and are very quiet. Right now I have a large Briggs and Stratton that is way too loud. Good thing I live in the country and can run it if need be

ditto!

A good bottle of burbon and some reef geeky friends on speed dial is all you need in a time of need

I have three of these:

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=45

I use one in my frag tank and one in my display tank.

Either:

(a) NO BUBBLER on the end of the hose; or

(b) Place bubbler below rock overhang so bubbles combine into big bubbles before they go to the surface.

The big bubbles alone add enough oxygen and move enough water that my 180G tank has survived without any negative effect for ~24 hours of no power.

My generator has a broken spring and whatnot and now will not start. I should have that thing serviced, hmmmm.

If you're talking about Honda generators, I bought an EU2000i for $899 shipped from mayberrys.com. You'll have to call them to order as they don't advertise the price online. The generator is very quiet (you can have a normal conversation right next to it).

An AC3 or similar controller has a lot of good nets built in as well.

Assuming we're talking about a tank larger than 38 gallons or so, isn't flow just as important as heat? In my 180, even if I were to stick a heater or two in the display tank at the onset of power outage issues, without flow the heater wouldn't effectively heat the entire tank. I have 3 heaters in my 150 gallon sump hooked up to a hefty UPS, and my return pump on its own also heavy duty UPS. I just purchased a generator which I'll be hooking everything up to, but I plan to keep those things on their UPS backups. In the 3 years my tank has been set up in the house, my power has only ever flickered a few times and the UPS system has been completely reliable.

A good bottle of burbon and some reef geeky friends on speed dial is all you need in a time of need

I dont know about that, you cant put them to work once the alcohol sets in lol.

I have three of these:

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=45

I use one in my frag tank and one in my display tank.

Either:

(a) NO BUBBLER on the end of the hose; or

(b) Place bubbler below rock overhang so bubbles combine into big bubbles before they go to the surface.

The big bubbles alone add enough oxygen and move enough water that my 180G tank has survived without any negative effect for ~24 hours of no power.

My generator has a broken spring and whatnot and now will not start. I should have that thing serviced, hmmmm.

I have seen those around, and always makes me laugh at their SILENT AIR aka FART name lol. I should invest in one though, for the price, you cant go wrong.

If you're talking about Honda generators, I bought an EU2000i for $899 shipped from mayberrys.com. You'll have to call them to order as they don't advertise the price online. The generator is very quiet (you can have a normal conversation right next to it).

An AC3 or similar controller has a lot of good nets built in as well.

Yes that is the one i looked at last night, and that is a much better price than what i saw it for. thanks for the heads up.

I have a generator but before that I used my SCUBA tank with a preasure reducer from my airbrush. Using it like that a SCUBA tank lasts for days. I have also set up a hydrogen peroxide drip. Hydrogen peroxide turns into oxygen in water.