Hello from Dumfries

Jrod

Hello,

I recently purchased a 55g salt-water setup with live rock and RO unit from a friend. I have not owned one in over 14 years. I am eager to get my tank going. I set up and purged my RO unit last night. I plan on cleaning my tank, heads, skimmer etc.. today. I hope to start putting everything together tomorrow. Anyone suggest what to clean the salt residue with? I thought I saw something referencing vinegar.

I have also been trying to find a local shop that deals in salt-water tanks with no success. Does anyone know what the closest (decent) shop is to Dumfries/Woodbridge?

Welcome back to the hobby!!

Yep, vinegar works well to clean off the salt residue, coraline algae, and other stuff... If you are really cleaning deeply, you can use muratic acid (if you do that, make sure you do it outside and follow instructions well... it is reef safe and works really well... but is very harsh stuff.

On the very top right of this page you will see a link that says "LFS Map" if you click on it, you will find many of the local shops in the area. I think some others closer to you can chime in on which is the best close one, but the map will get you started.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 55g salt-water setup with live rock and RO unit from a friend. I have not owned one in over 14 years. I am eager to get my tank going. I set up and purged my RO unit last night. I plan on cleaning my tank, heads, skimmer etc.. today. I hope to start putting everything together tomorrow. Anyone suggest what to clean the salt residue with? I thought I saw something referencing vinegar.

I have also been trying to find a local shop that deals in salt-water tanks with no success. Does anyone know what the closest (decent) shop is to Dumfries/Woodbridge?

unfortunately there isn't anything really close to woodbridge (i'm in stafford). I'm actually closer to the Richmond shops then any of the NOVA shops. Petland and Fins and Feathers are probably going to be the most convenient stores from you. I think there is a store in Manassas but I've never been there.

Thanks!

I had no idea I could use muratic acid. I've cleaned concrete residue off bricks with it before. I will see what kind of results I get with vinegar and water before trying it.

I see the LFS Map link has a store called Pets Plus in Stafford. I happen to travel that way most every weekend. I may have to check it out. Manassas would be good too if a shop exists there. I would also be willing to go to Annandale and Alexandria and check those shops since I'm working out of Ft. Belvoir. Any incite on these shops would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I had no idea I could use muratic acid. I've cleaned concrete residue off bricks with it before. I will see what kind of results I get with vinegar and water before trying it.

I see the LFS Map link has a store called Pets Plus in Stafford. I happen to travel that way most every weekend. I may have to check it out. Manassas would be good too if a shop exists there. I would also be willing to go to Annandale and Alexandria and check those shops since I'm working out of Ft. Belvoir. Any incite on these shops would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to avoid throwing up, avoid Pets Plus. It's 2 minutes from me. They sell fish, dogs, cats, and rent UHauls. I don't think I need to go any further.

If you want to avoid throwing up, avoid Pets Plus. It's 2 minutes from me. They sell fish, dogs, cats, and rent UHauls. I don't think I need to go any further.

ROFL, very useful info. Thank you!

LOL!! This reminds me of where I took my drivers ed... at Carlos' School of Driving and VCR Repair... got to love the random "extras" thrown in on some businesses.

I think you will be very happy with your choice to head out to BRK, they are superb.

Pets Plus is an OK store for the occasional visit. In Manassas you have the Cozy Clownfish on Liberia Ave. Blue Ribbon Koi is a bit further away but I like their selection. Also, if you need help with anything, I'm right down the road from Dumfries

Anyone suggest what to clean the salt residue with? I thought I saw something referencing vinegar.

In addition to the other recommendations, you might try scraping it off with a razor blade.

Welcome to the club, one easy way to stock a new tank is to buy livestock from club members. If you choose to become a paid member you will then have access to the buying and selling forums. It will be the best 20 bucks you ever spend in the hobby, and you will most likely recoup your cost in the first thing you buy. Of course there are other perks as well.

Howdy and welcome as well. I also live in Dumfries (real close to Montclair), and struggle to find a good store close-by. I totally agree that BRK is worth the trip. Drop me a line if I can help out with anything and I'd be happy to donate a few corals to a fellow reefer in Dumfries.

Thank you everyone for all the info!

I managed to clean out my pump, heads, and skimmer with vinegar. I filled a five-gallon bucket with two gallons of vinegar, soaked, and scrubbed. It worked very well.

The tank itself didn

Welcome, Jeff! If you don't mind, please update your forum profile's "Location" field. That will help people know about where you're located so that if you're needing help or selling something, they'll know more about you and whether they're close by.

Welcome, Jeff! If you don't mind, please update your forum profile's "Location" field. That will help people know about where you're located so that if you're needing help or selling something, they'll know more about you and whether they're close by.

It is now updated.

Dont use detergent anywhere near where livestock will be. Vinegar will clean your tank as well.

I won't use it again.

I will make sure to have everything cycled through before placing livestock in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's been a while since I have checked back.

I have let my water cycle and purchased a water testing kit, but still need to use it. In the meantime I have brown algae forming on the sand and rocks.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing this is the point I introduce the cleanup crew, but just making sure.

the brown algae is normal in a new tank, which is usually followed by green algae. I usually use the first occurence of the green algae as the signal to add the cleanup crew. Test the water to be sure, though.

the brown algae is normal in a new tank, which is usually followed by green algae. I usually use the first occurence of the green algae as the signal to add the cleanup crew. Test the water to be sure, though.

Very good! Thank You!

• 2 months later...

Howdy again,

It's been almost 4 months since I have started my tank. Since my last post, I have only added snails, hermit crabs, and a small crab. The algae remains green and everything seems to be coming along fine.

I need to replace a couple of lights and I would also like to start adding more life to the tank. If anyone happens to live in or near dumfries/montclair and would like to stop by, I could really use help with ideas. I'd be more than happy to start up the grill and break out the beer or soda.