Congressional Aquarium

akdiesel

I stopped by Congressional the other day I have nothing but the best to say about this place. I was looking for some uncommon things that a LFS might have and they had everything I was looking for. 3/4" lockline Y, Mag 7 impeller and impeller housing. They even put the pump together for me and tested it for about 5 min free of charge. They have any kind of plumbing piece that you could think of.

I didn't see them on the LFS map

It's there. Scroll down the index and you'll see it. Our sponsors are listed first, followed by other LFS. They're mostly in alpha order, but Google Maps wouldn't let me re-order late entries, so there are shops at the bottom of the list that are not in order.

I wasn't looking the Rockville area. As a fairly recent entrant here I automatically associated it with being downtown. Ya know, your friendly neighborhood reef shop where the Senators stop in on their lunch break to browse the acros tongue.gif

I agree about their dry goods. They do sell bags of I0 for $10, which is good for people who only have to do small water changes.

However - a BIG however - their livestock is often sick, their livestock selling tactics and intentional provision of bad information, and the fact that they sell scraped/dyed/injected FW fish, are IMO highly unethical and disgust me. Sometimes I go in there just to see if they have cleaned up their act, because it's a shame to have to exclude them from my list of favorite shops when they are so close by. I have heard them tell noob customers some really ludicrous things, and they have told me things that I know were not right. Some people boycott that shop (mostly FW fans).

• 9 months later...

^ Agree. Would never buy livestock from them. Everytime I stop by I see at least 1 floater, 1 tang with bad HLLE, and many that just seem lethargic. Too bad. I wish they would hire a livestock manager that knew what they were doing.

If one does go to Congressional, find a senior staff there like Chris or one that has been there for years. We have bought fish there. We do our homework and choose stock or equipment carefully there or any store. They have helped me with lights. One had an manufacturing issue. They ordered another one and when it was in, they called, I came in, and it was replaced.

With dead fish, I see that issue in other stores too. With LLE, IMHO there are a number of factors involved such as the food pickiness of that fish, any food competition, the health of it to name a few other factors beside the store. We all want good husbandry practiced.

If nothing else stop in and go compare with other stores. Perhaps one time WAMAS folk could do a day long aquarium shop hop!