Algea Scrubber

Papa Splax

• 3 months later...

I am guessing no one uses one? I was interested to find some info on them, if anyone knows any sites let me know.

I'm pretty sure paul b uses one. I could almost count, with the algae that's growing in my overflow box and 'fuge (where it overflows back into the sump) but that's developed on its own and isn't what you're looking for. I believe I also saw information on ReefCentral. Good luck!

Yea I read the stuff on RC and know about Pauls setup, wondering if anyone uses the screen method thats gravity fed from a drain, or even a pump. Saw a cool pic of a tank that had all the algae in it start to die off once the scrubber was running for a while.

no problem :)

strongly considered it for a while but in the end decided that the less complex solution for my particular setup is a standard protein skimmer. Under the right circumstances, though, I think they are a really great option.

Both Paul and Rob (zygote2k) have used algae scrubbers, I believe. Paul has done so for far longer. Bruce (bbyatv) has run one also, as is evidenced in this thread.

Almost any question you might have regarding algae scrubbers can be answered by reading, "Dynamic Aquaria", by Adey and Loveland. I recommend reading this book before you start using or designing a scrubber.

Also bk_market is using one. I have seen it in action, it looks sweet. He had no nuisance algae growing in the tank, thanks to the algae scrubber.