Heater Failure?

FearTheTerps

Just a few minutes ago something caught my eye in my tank in my bedroom. I saw a few flashes of white light coming from the heater, my heater light is orange so I know it wast that. My next thought was that it was a reflection from the tv, turn the tv off and still saw a few flashes. So I hopped out of bed to take a closer look, by the time I was next to the tank I only saw the flashes for a second or two. The flashes were coming from the top of were the coils are, and looked to be small electrical arcs. The heater then cycled off(orange light when out at least) and the flashes stopped.

So I unplugged the heater, took it out and replaced it with one I used for water changes. I dont have a volt meter to check to see if its leaking voltage into the water, My hand was in the tank only a few hours ago so no harm there. Im wondering if I should just toss it, or test it and if ok use it for water changes?

Edited by FearTheTerps

I agree, heaters are relatively cheap in the scheme of things, replacing it is the way to go...

However, if you need a water change heater in the mean time, you could plug it into a GFCI and try it in a mixing container. In a bucket, it is isolated even if it is adding a voltage to the mixing water. I wouldn't, however, put my hand in the mixing water until you have been able to put a voltmeter on it.

all these threads about fault heaters, i am definitely picking up an Ehaim Jager.

The RENA Smartheater is great. There are ZERO negative reviews I have seen on this heater.

http://www.marinedep...nt=AP7155&tab=4

edit- there are some negative reviews, but it is a good heater....

Edited by BowieReefer84

Pulled the heater out today. I gave a pretty good look, but didnt notice any burn or scorch marks. Im starting to wonder if I was imagining things last night. I was planning on replacing the heater with 2 smaller ones once I get my fuge set up.

Is this a clear glass heater? Was it inside the heater? Could you have been seeing arcing as the bimetallic strip opened to turn the heater off?

If it's a cheapie heater, get a good one.

Yes, its a clear glass heater. Its an Aqueon 200 watt submersible heater, honestly I dont have a clue how it works, I just know I had never seen this before and it freaked me out a bit. Are you saying this could be normal? It flashed for a good 10 seconds maybe before it stopped and the heater went off.

I don't know where it was "flashing" so I don't know if it's normal or not. If it was at the switch contacts, it may not be unusual (but I would not call it normal). Look closely at the heater. You'll probably see the thermostat/switch part. Often times, you'll see strips of metal with two thicker metal disks at the end which come together to form the switch. If those contacts are charred, pitted, or even melted, the switch is about to fail and the heater needs to be replaced as it is only a matter of time before it either fails open or welds itself and fails shut.

If this is the way it's built, it's a very common heater design for cheaper heaters. It's not very reliable over the long term, though, and is one of the reasons (I think) that heaters cause so many problems in this hobby. (Another reason is case integrity.) This problem can be substantially overcome by using a reliable temperature controller like a Ranco controller and setting the heater settings just a degree or two above the Ranco setting. This keeps the cheap internal switch of the heater from having to open and close, leaving that job to the Ranco. The heaters, then, become just heating elements with a thermal override (the cheap internal switch still works and will open should, for some reason, the Ranco "fail closed" - that is, fail to remove power from the heaters).

If you can do so, Steve, get a decent quality heater and couple it with a Ranco single stage controller (like an ETC-111000). It's a good combination.

The plan was to add 2 100 watt eheim jager heaters. I should have my fuge online within a week or so.

With the controller would I be better off using one heater, or 2 undersized heaters?