Agressive Clown

skipperawe

hey all,

ive been doing some touch-up work in my tank and my my false perc. is constantly ramming in to me/ bitting me.

i know this a somewhat normal thing, but what do you do about it... should i catch it while i do aquascaping..?

On a more serious note, rearrange the tank and stick your hand in there. I've often wondered if the territoriality would disappear if it had no territory and you staked it out first by keeping it at bay after rearranging.

The one in my wife's nano nips me on occasion. I respond by chasing it with my fingertip in a display of dominance. Of course, I break the chase when it backs off. When it approaches, I re-engage. After two or three times of doing this, he tends to leave me alone. He doesn't seem to realize that this is the same hand that feeds him. LOL.

I do the same thing with my large 10yo female tomato clown. It last a few minutes then she sneaks up and nips me when my guard is down.

Obviously a very intelligent fish. :biggrin:

Tomato's are known for being aggressive. Mine's a relatively young perc. Less aggressive, I think.

mine is a 3 year old - and i can't say ive experienced a lot.... but i would consider him MEAN

:unsure:

:fish:

They are territorial fish. Changing there habitat around will limit aggression but can also cause them to get stressed out. When the little brats are biting they are also doing cuz stressed out that your in there BUBBLE! So, when you have had fish for long enough they know what a net is trust me just put a brine shrimp net in the tank next to where you are doing stuff. If the fish dare come near act like your giong to catch them in the net. They leave you alone until next time. Its funny how smart they are.

Damsels can be a PITA, I used to have a perc that would jump out of the tank to bite me.

You could try placing a mirror at the opposite end of the tank that you are working in. It may not distract the clown the entire time, but it may decrease their interest in your hand.

If your dog bites you, I suspect you'll let it talk to the hand. Fish are the same way- give 'em a flick of your fingertip on the nose or head and after a few go rounds of this, they associate your hand as something that will hurt them. They learn respect quickly.

Tomato Clowns are the worst- I've battled with a large one over the course of several months before it finally gave in. It ignores the hand now.

Great thread! :)

I have one perc, and he was aggressive when I first got him (from another hobbyist), but over the years has figured out that my hand is not a threat. I wonder how old that fish is... I've had him for almost 4 years - and the previous owner said he had the fish for 'years'.

You're right - it doesn't hurt, but it takes one heck of an effort to NOT move your hand when they attack. Usually right into a nearby delicate coral, or sharp rock!

bob