Whining Pump

Brian Ward

I have a Reeflo Barracuda pump that I think is producing a new whining noise that I'm hearing. It's roughly the tone of an owl - so not super high pitched but rather annoying. It comes and goes with the pitch going from low to high and then about halfway back down before stopping for about a half a second and starting again. Of course, as I'm writing this it seems to have stopped for at least a couple minutes.

I just had a problem with this pump where it didn't restart after a feed cycle. When that happened, I disassembled it and soaked the impeller in vinegar. There was only 1 little shell in the impeller and I removed that. I've never oiled anything on the pump - is that something that I need to do? Any ideas what it could be or how to fix it? I can't necessarily pinpoint it to the pump, but it'is definitely related to the pump.

It sounds like a bearing or a seal, as David says. Give reeflo a call. They've got a replacement kit, I'm sure.

Check the back to see if there's a build up blocking the flow of air. This heats up the pump.

This has definitely been a problem but I recently cleaned it out. The pump appears to have an auto-shutoff for overheating but would the heat have damaged anything else?

It sounds liek ti may be a bearing or bearings which with patience and research and a realatively small amount of money can be "faily easy" to replace or service depending on the type/quality of the bearings. I've been on here pretty sparsely lately so I can't guarentee a response but if you need a hand let me know. Somewhere buried in the DIY area I think is a photo thread about dissasembling the pan world pump. In the case of the pan world I serviced one bearing set replaced the other. It was pseudo delicate work with a minimal of tech skill but certianly can be done for a fraction of the cost of a new pump. It takes about 30 min to service a pump but look for about 2-3 hours worth of research if you're going to start from scratch (i.e. I had to look up pump schematics, bearing modles, where to bnuy bearings, what kind of grease to use, how to dissasemble bearing cartridges etc. much of that may be covered in/on my thread though.)

It sound like you are describing the same noise as my Reeflo Tiger Shark pump. If it is and they are put together the same you will have to have it fixed by a place that has a bearing press. I sent mine to Reeflo to have it done. Was not very expensive at all. I wish i would have known a local place due to it took Reeflo a long time to get it repaired.