Mojano's

WaterDog

So these guys haven't started getting too out of hand yet, but I kind of want to nip them in the bud before they spread. What can I do to get rid of them now? I've read that some dwarf angels may eat them, but some/most are threats to coral too...

I also read that post about the "zapper" but I'm not very good with my hands or DIY stuff so I'm nervous about making or using that?

you can try mixing pickling lime with water until it is a paste. You will next inject it into the mojano mouth and than completely cover the mojano. You have a 65 gallon so only do a few at a time to avoid a rise in alkalinity.

I had to battle Mojano before and it wasn't fun, definitely get them out asap. If there are just a few of them in an area that you cannot pull rock or scrape easily, I would try covering them with a small piece of rock. They will try to move towards the light by climbing on that rock which you can then remove.

If the infestation runs deep, try a Bristle Tail Filefish (semi-reef safe, although mine never picked on anything), I have a video of my guy here before my tank breakdown:

Paul B talks about how to make them in This WAMAS thread and a similar thread on RC that I couldn't find quickly since it didnt come up immediately on google and their search capability is down at the moment.

That's what I need - a commercial model! Mine has never worked very well. LOOKS like it is working, bubbles and all - but the mojano's and aiptasia just seem annoyed. :)

bob

I put one together a week or so ago to see if I could take out some prolific and pesky mushrooms.

I used an old Dell laptop power supply (24 volts DC out), a stainless steel darning needle from Joanne Fabrics for the cathode (negative terminal), and a piece of carbon fiber rod for the anode (positive terminal). You can't use metal at the anode as it will ionize the metal, releasing it into the water (that is, it will dissolve the needle if you wire it up backwards). In my case, the electrical connection between the carbon fiber rod and the copper wire lead from the power supply was done through some electrically conductive metal tape and soldered in place. It could be done, I suppose, using a spring, or some other mechanical connection between the two. All connections are water tight. In my case, I used a silicone sealant. I put a switch in-line along the handle (which bears the cathode-needle). I used a plastic tube that I had lying around for the body, running the wire with the needle down the inside and zip-tying the wire with the carbon fiber rod to the outside.

I don't have aiptasia or mojano's to deal with, so I've not tried it on them. I am playing around with trying to zap a few nuisance palys with it, though.

That's what I need - a commercial model! Mine has never worked very well. LOOKS like it is working, bubbles and all - but the mojano's and aiptasia just seem annoyed. :)

bob

Welcome back, Bob!