Drill my Tank?

bluefin

I'm building my first tank which is a 40 gallon breeder and need to drill the tank for the overflow. Are there any shops locally that can do this? Atlantis Aquariums in Richmond will but it would be nice to have it done locally.

None of the shops I know of will do it. Most of us have done it ourselves. It's not that hard as long as you take your time. You can find some videos on YouTube that will show you how. Blue Ribbon Koi does stock the hole saws you need as does some of the online vendors such as bulkreefsupply.com

Talk to the guys at BRK, they may be able to help you out. It's really not that difficult to do, but you do have to take your time. There's a nice video here that shows you the process:

Glass-holes drilling video

I've used the same technique (where you start with the drill tilted, raising it upright as a groove is ground into the glass) successfully.

I'll sometimes put tape on the backside of the hole to keep the one piece from falling out.

A 40 does have thin glass... so after it's drilled and you get the bulkhead in, be very careful not to put any stress on the glass.

Have you had good success with the kits from Glass –Holes? I read a number of reviews complaining that the overflows from Glass-Holes were noisy? Is that a function of the overflow or the plumbing?

I've never used their kits. I just drilled my first tank a couple of years ago after watching this video.

I believe that at least one of our members, steveoutlaw, has used their overflows and was very happy with it.

It is extremely easy. Like others said, as long as you take your time. I used the glass holes kit which when used with duct tape will keep the bit wet. Look at glass holes or you tube for tips.

A 40 does have thin glass... so after it's drilled and you get the bulkhead in, be very careful not to put any stress on the glass.

+1

I recommend taking a piece of scrap acrylic, drilling the same size hole in it, and put it over the hole on the outside of the tank and sandwich it in place when you screw on the bulk head. This will reinforce the glass around the bulk head some.

It is very easy to break the glass accidentally by putting pressure on the bulkhead when you are working around it especially if the bulkhead connects to a rigid pipe coming out of it. A little downward pressure on the pipe and crack! Water everywhere. It makes a good lever arm.

I broke a 30 gallon sump this way one night taking out my Kalk reactor to clean it. I had my a spare 30 around, drilled it and broke it too the same night plumbing it in. Long night :)

I say drill it yourself, One of the best things about this hobby is learning, and you can take satisfaction that you did it. If you are worried at all about it, practice first. Find a cheap 10 gallon and cut a few holes in it before you cut the 40.

Some people say to tilt the saw when u first cut, but I found if you make a simple template out of cardboard that works better. Just use the bit to cut the cardboard, then use the template in your water dam. The cardboard wont fall apart when being submerged in the water.

I have a hole saw for a 1" bulkhead. If you want to bring the tank over we can drill it.

Thanks for the offer and might be in touch!

Also, if you want a 10 gallon to practice on, I have two that you can have, I haven't had the heart to throw them away, but they sit there waiting for me to do just that...