Moving my tank tomorrow

BowieReefer84

I am moving my tank tomorrow from Bowie to Elkridge. It is only a 29gal tank, and I am thinking it should be easy. My plan is this:

1. Rock in rubbermade.

2. Water in rubbermade.

3. Fish in bucket.

4. Coral frags in baggies.

4. Wet equipment in rubbermade.

5. Dry equipment/supplies in paper bags.

6. Everything into back of SUV.

7. Drive 30min.

8. Setup tank with rock, water, than fish.

I feel like in reality something is going to come up and be a pain.

Any pointers from the folks that move tanks all the time? This is the first time I will move my tank.

I would make some extra new saltwater and have it ready. There is no way you are gonna get all of it there, you have to account for spilling, water lost in rock/coral/fish transfers. Make sure you have an extra heater too.. I think you have a good plan though.

Guest thefishman65

Water in at least 2 rubbermades. I realize it is not a true 29 gallon, but I have used 18 gallon rubbermades. Half full is doable, but really 1/3 is best IMHO to prevent it sloshing out and really being able to be handled. I also have moved with the fish and rock in these (twice with no loss). However, I have since read the some people worry about crushing the fish.

My thinking was (and still is) to try and make each rubbermade a mini aquarium some rock some livestock, etc. Don't know it it is best, but just something to think about.

Yea, I have 4 rubbermade containers of good size. I was going to put snails, hermits, shrimp and fish in one with just water. Probably a bucket actually. I am worried about crushing them as well. . . I think the water volume is probably closer to 20 -25 gallons max after rock is removed. Maybe even less.

I would worry a lot about damaging the fish keeping rock in there with it.. They could get smashed or even scraped/cut real bad. You could keep the rock in a little water with wet towels over it too.. You only have to go a short distance for a short amount of time. I moved a 72g in the same day with no loss of fish or corals, you will be fine, just be patient and take your time.

And account for that you might not want to re-use the water your fish/ rocks/ corals were in.

Edited by trockafella

I would worry a lot about damaging the fish keeping rock in there with it..

Me too.

And account for that you might not want to re-use the water your fish/ rocks/ corals were in.

I am going to re-use the water. I only have a couple frags at this point. There is no sand in the tank, and really no detritus as it was basically just set up anyways. I will do heavy water changes over the next couple days after the move. I just don't have the things needed to have water mixed and ready at my new place. My main goal is to get the tank out of my parents house asap. I trust my mom to feed and top off, but if any issues come up (LED's frying chalice frags) I have no control right now and it is worrying me.

The main thing that will take time is getting the water back up to temp and keeping the water at temp for the frags/fish (dont forget and air stone for the fish)

29g shouldnt make it that hard but if you have a tiny heater it may take longer then you think.

I would think about putting everything in 5g buckets, lids seal suprisingly well..

When i moved my other tank (100g net vol 4 hours away) i used plastic bags inside the rubbermades and tied the tops to prevent as much water loss as i could, it worked really well.

but sounds like you got it worked out

I would get the fish/frags set up in the buckets with heaters and airstone first then move everything into the new place.

+1 on having extra water on hand at the new place that is up to temperature.

+1 on using 5 gallon buckets with lids to move. The lids keep the water from sloshing out when you are driving and it is way easier to carry a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater (40 lbs) as opposed to a rubbermaid container which holds more and weighs more. The lids on the buckets will also reduce heat loss from the water as well.

I put your corals of individual bags in a bucket of water to maintain the heat. Put your fish in a bucket with no rocks so nothing gets smashed by moving rock. I did a very similar move as yours about 6 months ago and my biggest issue was heat loss in the water durning the move. I would assume it would lose even more heat now that the weather is much cooler.

In any case good luck with your move and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Yes. You can buy 5 gallon pails and lids at both Lowe's and Home Depot. Buckets are also more manageable weight-wise. Rinse and dry them first.

I would keep the fish separate from the rock during the move. With lids on the buckets, you should be able to fill the livestock buckets nearly full. This will help to slow the cooling down some. Keep livestock in the house until you're ready to drive. Move them out first at the other end as well to help maintain temperature. Put a heater in with your livestock at the distant end to help maintain temperature while you set the tank up again.

Good luck with the move.

another reason to replace some of the water with fresh saltwater, someone may have said it and I missed it, is because as you get to the bottom and start stirring up the sand you will release some of the nitrates, etc in the sand, you will want to lose that water and replace it with fresh. Otherwise you're going to have to deal with spikes in your chemistry. Now if you are running without sand, just disregard this, but I remember my move and the tank was considerably bigger (150g). I went sandless, though when I switch tanks I will go back to using sand again, I just don't like the sandless look.

Also, something I learned when I helped Dave (Mogurnda) switch tanks is take a few pieces of base rock and put them in the bottom, then put the sand in as it gives you a solid foundation for your aquascaping that won't have a shifting base under it.

another reason to replace some of the water with fresh saltwater, someone may have said it and I missed it, is because as you get to the bottom and start stirring up the sand you will release some of the nitrates, etc in the sand, you will want to lose that water and replace it with fresh. Otherwise you're going to have to deal with spikes in your chemistry. Now if you are running without sand, just disregard this, but I remember my move and the tank was considerably bigger (150g). I went sandless, though when I switch tanks I will go back to using sand again, I just don't like the sandless look.

Also, something I learned when I helped Dave (Mogurnda) switch tanks is take a few pieces of base rock and put them in the bottom, then put the sand in as it gives you a solid foundation for your aquascaping that won't have a shifting base under it.

Funny you should mention this. The tank is BB right now. BUT, I have a bag of crushed coral and a bag of aragonite thick grain sand in the trunk of my car. They have been there for about a month now. I am debating on whether or not to add them to the mix. IF I add substrate it will be less than 1" deep. Just enough to conceal the barebottom, and worked in around the placed rocks. I feel you on the "look."

I am just worried all the waterflow from the MP10 in a biocube will blow the sand up into the water column. I do not THINK it would, but I worry...

Edited by BowieReefer84

I am just worried all the waterflow from the MP10 in a biocube will blow the sand up into the water column. I do not THINK it would, but I worry...

It may for a bit, but as the sand gets some biofilm to it, it tends to move around, create dust storms, and cloud the water much less. New sand, you will see this a bit, but the problems tends to correct itself in a few weeks.

I would hold off on adding the sand until your tank gets settled in after the move. No need to add another stressor to your corals and fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could offer one bit of advice from having just moved my 24 gallon tank is to be really patient setting the tank back up. I was too exhausted the day of the move to set the tank up so I let everything sit in it's respective buckets/coolers/bags until the following day. Everything had aeration and heaters so I figured it was as good as having them in the tank (...well, almost) but no light. Anyway, the day after the move was pretty hectic too but I managed to steal some time to get the tank set back up that evening. I was pretty impatient and I just grabbed stuff out of the coolers/buckets and put it into the tank. All the corals did fine, but my fish and shrimp were dead the next morning from the stress. Not sure if it was a temp shock with all the new water, or the new water itself, or what but...just be patient and make sure everything is where you want it before tossing livestock in there. It's probably worth re-acclimating your inverts to the new tank after the rocks and water are in actually.

Good luck!

My livestock is pretty hearty. I only have a clown, blue chromi, fire shrimp, and some inverts. They have survived MANY errors on my part over the past couple years. My goal is to get it all done tomorrow even if I am up until midnight. The majority of my rock is 2 drilled columns, so stacking the other few pieces will be easy. My main concern is keeping the water temp stable. I will have the car heated up beforehand, and have my condo set a little higher than the usual "off" position. We shall see.

The move started at 5:30 last night, and everything was in the tank at the new place by 8:30. All alive and well as of this morning. Water cooled down, but not too bad. I managed to use all the same water as in the tank. I am going to check my levels tonight, and do a water change in a couple days regardless.

I added some crushed coral/aragonite substrate. Only needed likes 4 solo cups worth. Just around the edges once the rocks were stacked. Looks much better than glass bottom....

Glad to hear your move was successful. All of your pre-planning paid off in the end. Murphy always seems to rear his ugly head at times like that and it sounds like you beat him.

Another piece of advice, try running some carbon in your tank for the next week or so. I always worry about my corals sliming up from stess during a move and that seems to help a lot. I also use a turkey baster to blow off the corals and the stuff on my rockwork that was kicked up in the move. The skimmer takes out most of it but the fish and corals get a free meal as well.

Depending on how many corals you have and what kind they are, you might not want to bag them all. I think it will take longer than you think to bag and unbag them, when you might be able to just put them in a bucket instead.

Edited by Jon Lazar

Depending on how many corals you have and what kind they are, you might not want to bag them all. I think it will take longer than you think to bag and unbag them, when you might be able to just put them in a bucket instead.

I already moved :) I only had corals on frag plugs. I bagged them to be on the safe side....

Thanks though