Any wisdom on drilling rock?

BowieReefer84

So I purchased a 1/4" masonry bit, 5/8" masonry bit, 1/2" pvc, and twist ties. I am going to get some glue and epoxy online to make sure I know its reef safe. I plan on using the 1/4" to drill pilot holes before hitting it with the 5/8" bit. The 1/2" pvc is actually cpvc. I know it is not as strong, but the sched 40 did not look like it would fit through a 5/8" drill-bit hole. My plan is to make an 18" column and a smaller 6-10" column to go next to it. I am going to put them slightly off center in my tank. The rest of the rock will be worked in and around. I am going to drill completely through the bottom rock and seal the opening of the pvc (top and bottom) with epoxy. I do not want any buildup in there. If my rocks are big enough and if it works, I may use two columns of pvc through the structure for added rigidity.

Does this sound feasible for a rock drilling noob? Am I missing any important steps?

And yes, I WILL be wearing safety goggles while I do this. Also I will be holding the rock with a towel, so I can get a good grip without cutting myself.

Go slow, realize the rock may break in half if its very porous, and go up in bit sizes as incrementally as your patience will allow.

Good luck and share some pictures.

I only have 1/4" and 5/8" bits. Should I get 1/2" as well? I am going to go slow. I really am not in a rush, and only building a couple columns.

I drilled all my rocks quickly and used a 1/2" bit for the acrylic rod. I didn't have one rock break in half. Could be the rock I have... who knows.

However, I would suggest a bucket of saltwater so you can drip the rocks in after to clear out the holes. Also, I wouldn't use a towel unless it's dry rock. If you are using live rock the towel will become soaked so fast and covered in rock bits it will tear up your hand. I found PVC coated gloves at home depot for $5. They are very strong and I didn't get any cuts. Good luck!

I may be wrong, but I think I asked a question about using cpvc for something else a while back (maybe it was something else) and was told that it starts to disintigrate in sunlight so wouldn't be good for use in a tank.

I may be wrong, but I think I asked a question about using cpvc for something else a while back (maybe it was something else) and was told that it starts to disintigrate in sunlight so wouldn't be good for use in a tank.

hmm.. I just thought cpvc was for drinking water? Also, I am going to conceal every bit of the cpvc with epoxy at the joints. We shall see.... I didn't see acrylic rod at Lowes, and not sure where to get it.

hmm.. I just thought cpvc was for drinking water? Also, I am going to conceal every bit of the cpvc with epoxy at the joints. We shall see.... I didn't see acrylic rod at Lowes, and not sure where to get it.

trockafella knows where to get it. I got mine from him. The acrylic rod is the best thing to use by far. Ask him where he got it or if he has any more sale. I have about 4' of his stuff left over from my build.

masonry bit, wood bit, spade bit, hole saw... whatever. have at it. easy as pine to cut, just watch for flying rock bits... safty 1st.

Carbonfiber rod is way stiffer than acrylic... HUGE difference.

masonry bit, wood bit, spade bit, hole saw... whatever. have at it. easy as pine to cut, just watch for flying rock bits... safty 1st.

Carbonfiber rod is way stiffer than acrylic... HUGE difference.

Where would I get carbon fiber rod?

Make sure you call piedmont first, I dont know that they take walk ins anymore..

And why carbon fiber rod.? The acrylic rod is very strong.. ( i use 1/2", wouldnt trust anything smaller)

I can be very convincing. I would rather just "show up" like I am a regular customer, and haven't been in for a while. How much should I expect to pay for 1/2" acrylic tube? Anything lingo I should be using?

I will get a bunch if others are interested. I could bring it to the meet in October.

There not interested in how convincing you are, they just wont come to the door. I would recommend calling prior. Its not like a lowes kind of store, just my advice.. You dont need lingo and they dont "haggle", last time I was there it was like $5 or so per 6ft rod. It is available in lots of sizes..

I had a good visit to piedmont plastic recently. They were helpful and open to walk ins when I visited a little over a month ago to get some weld on.

SO far I only broke one rock in half . . . haha

I have to go REALLY SLOW. Just saying slow doesn't do it justice. I am predrilling with a 1/4" bit than going to a 5/8" bit.

Not too bad, but killing my back.

Not too bad, but killing my back.

Raise it onto a workbench?

Or, alternatively, take some vicoden? blink.gif

Ahhh, aquariums, a project, and beer... Does it get any better?