electricity in the water

bcjm

I wonder how many of those 3 years it was sizzling your tank and you didn't realize it...you know it didn't crack between the last time it was on and the time you found it smile.gif

They are junk.

What heater do you use? I have had the same cheapo petco heater in my tank for 3 years. Not even sure if it runs. . . .blink.gif Looking to buy a new one ASAP. Most likely off marine depot. Is Jager good? They have some negative reviews, but also a lot of positive. Thanks for any input.

What heater do you use? I have had the same cheapo petco heater in my tank for 3 years. Not even sure if it runs. . . .blink.gif Looking to buy a new one ASAP. Most likely off marine depot. Is Jager good? They have some negative reviews, but also a lot of positive. Thanks for any input.

I use Jager. They have by far the best reviews as far as I can tell.

Here is a funny (short) video...it is obviously a dumb thing to do and should not be done with any heater...but it shows that Jager can withstand some misuse.

Listen and you can hear the guy say "Acthung!"

I use hydor now ....

I use hydor now ....

I've had great results from all of the Hydor products that I've used. I've run Hydor's AquaClear HOB filters for years on my FW tanks and have never had any kind of problems (even without maintenance).

Exactly! smile.gif I just try to find out how to measure the current in the tank water.

It's my understanding you want the current in your tank water at about 60x per hour with sps and less with softies....To measure take the gph of your total powerheads divided by the gallons of your tank.lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

It's my understanding you want the current in your tank water at about 60x per hour with sps and less with softies....To measure take the gph of your total powerheads divided by the gallons of your tank.lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Is this suppose to be funny?

• 2 months later...

I got shocked again this past week when cleaning the tank. I decided to look for the problem again. I used a volt meter, one end in the water and one end connected to the the metal body of the light fixture. It showed 120V. I disconnect the power equipment one by one until the meter does not show 120V anymore. It was the heater in the sump(350W Ebo Jager) instead of the heater in the frag tank.

I got shocked again this past week when cleaning the tank. I decided to look for the problem again. I used a volt meter, one end in the water and one end connected to the the metal body of the light fixture. It showed 120V. I disconnect the power equipment one by one until the meter does not show 120V anymore. It was the heater in the sump(350W Ebo Jager) instead of the heater in the frag tank.

An Ebo Jager? Not an Eheim Jager?

I remember the old Ebo's being labeled as fully submersible. When Eheim started to produde the Jager it became a non fully submersible heater. I still use them but I keep the top part above the water level in my sump.

I realizes this is my own fault. I shut the water off one day when changing the filter in my RO unit and forgot to turn it back on. The tank water evaporated caused the water level in the sump to drop. Part of the heater was exposed to the air. I did not realize that the heater in the sump was broken.

Jager Model TS Submersible Heaters

Jager took their already superior heater and made it better. Jager All New TS Series heaters [b]are completely waterproof, submersible heaters [/b]perfect for freshwater or saltwater use. Heavy duty 2mm thick shock resistant Pyrex glass construction are twice as thick as most other heaters and far stronger. The tempearture is adjustable from 64

All glass heaters can and will break for alot of reasons and any type should in my exper never be used without a

simple module like lifeguard makes.

They are around for 50 bucks or so and will keep your heater from having any problems.

That pet place has the small one for 25.00 bucks on sale.

Seems to me that 50 bucks is a small amount for a reef tank when you consider what happens

if your heater has problems.