Whats in your fuge???

cbatkinson

Starting a fuge and wanted to get thoughts on what I need to put in it...some have different opinions. sand, cheateau, snails, crabs. What's in your fuge and how much is in there? Any other tips and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Starting a fuge and wanted to get thoughts on what I need to put in it...some have different opinions. sand, cheateau, snails, crabs. What's in your fuge and how much is in there? Any other tips and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

All of the above along with a peppermint shrimp. I also hang a bag of carbon in there.

sand right now :) will plan on some mangroves, and chaeto and some other algae coming in my reefcleaners pack...

will also be a look down tank for clams (a little further down the line). may put an trio of thor shrimp in an anemone as well

All you need in a fuge is substrate, macro, and rocks/rock rubble if you choose. I dont really see the need for livestock in your fuge, it will produce its own.

Why would you put a clam and an anemone in your fuge.? What kind of lighting do you plan to use over it.?

Edited by trockafella

well, my fuge's have always been smaller tanks plumbed into my displays, usually gravity feeding the display. this is a 45 gallon tank that will be plumbed into my 180 with a 250 metal halide over it. i try to avoid any fish that are micropredators but in the past i've had a frogfish in a fuge. this time i think we'll go fishless. i've also done the cryptic fuges though haven't thought about it for this system.

You can put whatever you want in your fuge... Really it is just a separate place to put things. If you are looking for function, however, it would be a good ideal to avoid predators (e.g., most fish, crabs, coral, shrimp, etc.). I hae decorative sponges, fanworms, clams, and stuff like that in mine :)

I always thought the refugium was supposed to be fishless. The idea is to create an area void of predators to give pods, snails etc a place to thrive and potentially make their way to the DT and become food. Also it adds water volume and a place to grow macro algae for nutrient export. I am sure this is nothing you did not know already.

I would think if you are adding organisms as you are describing, I would just call it another fish tank! :biggrin:

Anyway, My fuge is the section on the right side of my 40 br sump. I have about 5in of sugar fine sand. 10lbs of rock. Macro algae and a powerhead. I run a standard light on an alternate schedule from the DT.

Rongallery_656_686_546955.jpg

onux, generally a fuge is without fish..however, if you have something that isn't a micropredator, i don't think it matters...i've seen people keep lionfish and eels in larger fuges...neither will go for any amphipods, copepods, worms, snails, hermits, etc.

very helpful. Thanks...My sump is going to be like Trockafella's. Does the sand have to be live or can I just add some new sand since the system is already established?

new sand is fine. If you want it to colonize faster, you can add some of the substrate from elsewhere in your system. But it will be fine.

My fuge only contains chaeto.....I do that so I can easily clean it......the only goal of my fuge is to capture nitrates and phosphates (I really only care about nitrates as I use GFO as my primary phosphate capture mechanism).....I run the light cycle opposite to my main tank in an attempt to balance the pH cycle of the tank. Of course, a fuge can be a variety of things and still be successful

cheers,

Darren

my fuge is sand, rock and 3 macros and a couple snails. this is fed from 1 of my over flows wich passes over my turf scrubber.

chris