pat8you

Hello everyone. Been out in the DC area for just over a year now and I am finally able to set up a new tank so i figured it was time to join. I had a 12 gallon nano cube in the past while i was in college and am currently setting up a 90. I've been in the hobby a couple years now but have not had a tank up in a while since i graduated college and moved out here for a new job. I'm also on aquariumadvice.com quite a bit so i'm no rookie to forums either.

For my new tank I think it is going to be a mostly SPS dominated tank but i'm a real fan of zoas as well. Fish stocking list is still up in the air right now but i would really like to try barnacle blennys. If anyone has any experience with them let me know. I'm looking forward to start touring all the local fish stores in the area and hopefully getting to a couple frag swaps. If anyone is interested here is a link to my old thread on my 12 gallon. My link

Just thought i would put out a short introduction and say hello!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Updated my location as well. I am going to be starting a thread for my 90 gallon as i get things set up. I would rather just do one thread and i am pretty active on the forum aquariumadvice so i will probably post it there. I have not been around here to figure out this forums edict. Is it bad form if i just post a link to my other thread here? I know some forums are a bit more touchy then others about this. It will just be easier to keep one thread updated and then i will respond to any discussion here. Let me know.

You should instead start a thread in the dedicated tank forum (have to be a full member) and copy and paste your posts onto wamas, also consider joining wamas as a full member in time we've got 97% of other forums our there beat in terms of activity and expertise, additionally there isn't a forum out there that comes close to the benefits of belonging to wamas as a club. To be honest the chances of someone following your link and paying attention to your thread on another forum especially once you're post gets buried here are pretty slim unless you're doing something super incredible and ground breaking.

Welcome! Take Jason's advice.

Welcome to the forum, Pat! If you're on the path to upgrading, you're really going to want to drop the the first $20 you have toward joining WAMAS. You'll find it to be the best $20 you can spend because you'll get full access to our forum, including the For Sale forum where you can save $$$$ on equipment resales and frags. Members have access to several more forums than you, as a Bulletin Board member can see, and we trade a lot of advice there. There's a link in my signature that's worth clicking on if you want to get a perspective on what membership gives you and how to join. Take a look. You won't be disappointed.

+1 Well worth it. Welcome! Wear gloves and goggles if you plan on handling zoanthids.

Welcome to the forum, Pat! If you're on the path to upgrading, you're really going to want to drop the the first $20 you have toward joining WAMAS. You'll find it to be the best $20 you can spend because you'll get full access to our forum, including the For Sale forum where you can save $$$$ on equipment resales and frags. Members have access to several more forums than you, as a Bulletin Board member can see, and we trade a lot of advice there. There's a link in my signature that's worth clicking on if you want to get a perspective on what membership gives you and how to join. Take a look. You won't be disappointed.

+1 Well worth it. Welcome! Wear gloves and goggles if you plan on handling zoanthids.

really? Gloves and Goggles? OOPS. I am going to try to go a week without putting my hand in my tank . . .doubt I'll make it.

really? Gloves and Goggles? OOPS. I am going to try to go a week without putting my hand in my tank . . .doubt I'll make it.

Oh yeah. Especially if you're handling Outlaw's Palys (that's how we refer to them here :eek: ). Steve's not the only one who's suffered their wrath. Jan has, and I have, also - twice. Steve's experience put him in the hospital. Mine featured rapid onset (two hours) of chills, tremors, cold sweating, and asthma-like breathing that took 8 hours for the symptoms to clear out. In some cases, I'd add a respirator to Jan's list when handling certain species. Palytoxin can kill you and it's present in many zoas in varying amounts.

Gloves can also keep you from getting wounded and innoculating yourself with uncommon bacteria. Several people have had issues recently, including JohnnyBV over at BRK (who cut his finger as I recall, and ended up seeing a doctor when the wound started turning nasty).

While I admit that it's good advice, I'm not always good at following it all of the time. I, like many, could stand to do a better job at remembering this.

Oh yeah. Especially if you're handling Outlaw's Palys (that's how we refer to them here :eek: ). Steve's not the only one who's suffered their wrath. Jan has, and I have, also - twice. Steve's experience put him in the hospital. Mine featured rapid onset (two hours) of chills, tremors, cold sweating, and asthma-like breathing that took 8 hours for the symptoms to clear out. In some cases, I'd add a respirator to Jan's list when handling certain species. Palytoxin can kill you and it's present in many zoas in varying amounts.

Gloves can also keep you from getting wounded and innoculating yourself with uncommon bacteria. Several people have had issues recently, including JohnnyBV over at BRK (who cut his finger as I recall, and ended up seeing a doctor when the wound started turning nasty).

While I admit that it's good advice, I'm not always good at following it all of the time. I, like many, could stand to do a better job at remembering this.

Particularly if you are going to frag any palys or zoas. palytoxins are nothing to mess around with. I know a guy who had a metal taste in his mouth for like a month when he accidentally touched his tongue after handling zoas.

I was planning on joining wamas but had just not gotten to it yet. Will do that for sure though.

Just got the message that you joined, Pat. Welcome to WAMAS!

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.