Nice surprise!

Hilary

Okay, when I set up the 90g a couple of years ago I thought I'd be really smart and add macro to my overflow - kind of like an extra fuge. So I added a handful of caulerpa. Duh. Of course, if I don't watch it carefully and tend to it weekly the caulerpa blocks the slots in the overflow and the water level in the display starts to rise. So I was blindly ripping out caulerpa the other day when something pretty big bounced off my hand. What the heck? I moved the lights aside, pulled up a chair and a flashlight, and went to investigate. I saw a flash of yellow in the overflow, but when I looked in the display found my yellow tang. What could it be? Then this really big blenny comes up to the surface to say hi. A big blenny? OMG. When Aquaco was still open I spent about $80 on a golden Tonga blenny, who disappeared a couple of months after I added him to the tank. He's been living in the overflow for over a year and has gotten BIG! Now if only I could figure out how to catch him and put him back in the display where I can enjoy him!

wow hes been living in there for a year. I was going to say something smart butted but wow... what a mircle how big is the overflow.

(edited)

That is a cool surprise. Can you pull the drain pipe and let the fish flow to the sump?

I've tried this method with a clownfish that used to love my overflow, and when he decided he didn't want to go down the hole, I was left with a fish at the bottom and trying to figure out what to do. May work, or the fish may not go down the hole...

I found pulling the standpipes (closing the ball valves) and using a net worked. My clownfish ended up there on a weekly basis... I even had little nets to try and keep him out (and glass tops) and that stupid fish always found his way back in. I even had a diamond goby about 2 years ago that would jump in there. if you poked him with a net, he would launch himself out and right back into the tank.

Edited by darkcirca

Wow thats really neat, living in there for a year subsisting off of pods and lord knows what else.

And not just subsisting - he's gotten big! I'm sure he gets plenty of food that makes it into the overflow, plus they're algae eaters so he's probably picking at anything growing on the overflow itself. Too bad he's not also eating that caulerpa! :rolleyes:

For all you know he has been eating the culerpa if you remeber correclty that stuff killed my last tank.

I wish that would happen with my Radient Wrasse. I may never know for sure what ever really happend to him :unsure: