proper way to connect regulator to co2 tank

do you use tefelon tape?

what about those plastic circle thing, do you put those on before connecting main regulator valve to co2 tank?

i got a neg regulator and it only has a neele valve (my mistake for rushing a purchase and not chosing one better), my co2 tank went dry in 3 days, wondering where i went wrong. forgot to put tefelon tape on, wondering if this is what happened?

No need for teflon tape. Use the plastic ring, that is the seal. It goes between the nozzle on the tank and the regulator. Tighten down the regulator nut with a pair of channel locks.

You can test for leaks by putting soapy water (dishwashing detergent and water) around connections and checking for bubbles.

ok thanks guys, the new reg is an azoo from dfs, anyone every hear of or use a reg with only a nedle valve. my other millwake has another valvue that you can adjust the flow prior to the neddle valve. Also, all i did was use the gray circle thing that came with the reg so i'm not sure what went wrong. hole or not an airtight seal in airline maybe??? baffled....

Does the reg unit have two gauges on it, high and low pressure? What was your low pressure set at when you started.

Some setups do not have the knob like the milwaukee on the front but instead you have to use a wrench to turn a large nut or an allen wrench on a screw on the front.

Does the azoo model come with a rubber washer or a nylon washer? If it is the rubber one I would replace it with a nylon one. The rubber ones can lose their shape when tightened and allow the gas to leak out.

Does the reg unit have two gauges on it, high and low pressure? What was your low pressure set at when you started.

Some setups do not have the knob like the milwaukee on the front but instead you have to use a wrench to turn a large nut or an allen wrench on a screw on the front.

Does the azoo model come with a rubber washer or a nylon washer? If it is the rubber one I would replace it with a nylon one. The rubber ones can lose their shape when tightened and allow the gas to leak out.

+1

also, some people (myself included) do wrap the threads with TT simply from a corrosive stand point. Salt water spray or simple moisture around a marine tank can and will cause some build up on and around the threads. Wrapping helps prevent this issue from occurring. I wrap all the way to the end of the threads. Prevent pitting.

also, some people (myself included) do wrap the threads with TT simply from a corrosive stand point. Salt water spray or simple moisture around a marine tank can and will cause some build up on and around the threads. Wrapping helps prevent this issue from occurring. I wrap all the way to the end of the threads. Prevent pitting.

That is a good idea. I will have to start doing that too.

If the CO2 cylinders and regulators are anything like the Oxygen cylinders that we used to use on the ambulance, other than the thumb screw that actually holds the regulator to the tank (it works like a vice), I don't see where one could possibly use teflon that would make a difference. I do like Chip's idea though.

ok thanks guys, the new reg is an azoo from dfs, anyone every hear of or use a reg with only a nedle valve. my other millwake has another valvue that you can adjust the flow prior to the neddle valve. Also, all i did was use the gray circle thing that came with the reg so i'm not sure what went wrong. hole or not an airtight seal in airline maybe??? baffled....

One of the two surfaces that the seal disk touches may not have been clean or had some sort of crack that allowed gas to escape. Or you didn't tighten the regulator nut tight enough. The only way you drained the tank in 3 days is if there was a leak at the regulator/tank seal. It would be really hard to drain a tank in 3 days through the output stem of needle valve (unless it's broken or leaking somewhere) with tubing attached. You'd see a crazy stream of bubbles in the bubble counter.

here is the link.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9895

this thing is trash, that is what i get for buying a reg made in tawain, directions are broken english and make NO sense. i called customer service and they said this unit requires a ph controller, which i'm not sold on, that has nothing to do with adjusting the pressure right??? What! Also says NOTHING pertaining to needing a ph controller to run grrrrrrrrr.... $20 co2 fill down drain and now i have to mail this crap back, sigh....

(edited)

You do not need a pH controller, just plug it into an outlet and it will stay on. If you have an ACIII or similar unit you can plug it into that.

I have had the unit before and it worked great. I think you just need to try it again and make sure you have the washer sealed good.

Edited by Coral Hind

ok got dave on the phone and my blood pressue is getting back down to normal...

it does appear to have a blow out valve if pressure gets too high so it looks like that is what happened since the psi was probably over 100 since i didn't know how to adjust it.

dave i took that outside nut off and it has an alen wretch adapter inside that, i'm guessing that is what you have to tighten to reduce the psi pressure down to normal range.

so product might not be that bad after all, just TERRIBLE INSTRUCTIONS.

If the CO2 cylinders and regulators are anything like the Oxygen cylinders that we used to use on the ambulance, other than the thumb screw that actually holds the regulator to the tank (it works like a vice), I don't see where one could possibly use teflon that would make a difference. I do like Chip's idea though.

CO2 Cylinders and O2 Cylinders are not the same and use different fittings, As do many other gases. This is done so that someone cannot accidently use or refill a product incorrectly. With oxygen most of the regulators have a T handle to hand tighten cylinders, this for the ease of use for a patient using smaller tanks that need to be replaced frequently. I assume on an ambulance you are using at least a D or E size cylinder. Once you go bigger then that size you no longer use the hand tighten regulators and have a regulator that needs to tightened with a wrench. This is similar to what is used on the CO2 tanks, but again it is most likely a different size connection.

Just thought I'd share some of my knowlegde of O2 tanks, I work for a home medical provider.

Is it possible to use nitrogen tanks like for paintball guns? They hold a lot more air. Not sure if the CO2 is just supplying air or what not. I know nothing about reactors.

Most CO2 tanks use a CGA 320 fitting, while Nitrogen tanks use a CGA 580 or CGA 670. The CGA fitting for nitrogen is also used for other non flammable gases such as helium, neon, or argon. Since the fittings are different most gas suppliers wont fill a tank with a different gas for its intended use.

Also, I forgot to add in my other post, CGA fittings dont need tape or dope. The seal is made between the surfaces of the regulator and tank. Using tape wont serve any real purpose as it wont seal anything like it would when using it with male pipe thread. For a CO2 tank I would use a nylon washer, And use a NEW washer everytime you change the tank or remove the regulator.

• 2 weeks later...

ok this thing is offically GARBAGE. just drained another tank in 1 week. this time setting it up, i adjusted psi to 20 (factory issue was over 50!). had my normal buble count going and was checking it pretty much every day. was fine up to wensday evening, didnt' check it yesterday and it was dry today. bummer!