Whats a good active fish?

Chris-

Of all the fish in my tank, seems the tang is the only one that uses the whole tank. I think they are all sucking down Valiums or something. Everyone basically sits in one spot. Even the tang barley lumbers along like he hit his head on something and is dazed, lol, happy, but dazed. Trying to find a good, on the smaller side, size fish that moves around out in the open, maybe darting in a cave or crevice here and there, always on the go.

I have a Christmas Wrasse that swims laps around my tank and moves at all different depths...super fast too...

Just about any wrasse will give you constant motion.

Kicking up the flow in the tank keeps them moving more.

+1 That's what I love about wrasses, they never stop moving.

Read my "unicorn" thread... seriously though, leopard wrasses are great!!

Edited by Chad

I have a Christmas Wrasse that swims laps around my tank and moves at all different depths...super fast too...

Up to 7"? :cry: If I buy one and chop him in half, anyone interested in the second half? :rolleyes:

Read my "unicorn" thread... seriously though, leopard wrasses are great!!

Okay, i think my starry blenny would go absolutely ape if he saw that in the tank, lol.

So, a wrasse of some sort? Hmmm.......

Of all the fish in my tank, seems the tang is the only one that uses the whole tank. I think they are all sucking down Valiums or something. Everyone basically sits in one spot. Even the tang barley lumbers along like he hit his head on something and is dazed, lol, happy, but dazed. Trying to find a good, on the smaller side, size fish that moves around out in the open, maybe darting in a cave or crevice here and there, always on the go.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I just can't decide or find a fish I'm comfortable with in my uncovered 75. Love to have a tang, but tank is too small. Might go with the coral beauty suggestion but always thought they were coral munchers.

Tony

I'm in the same boat as you are. I just can't decide or find a fish I'm comfortable with in my uncovered 75. Love to have a tang, but tank is too small. Might go with the coral beauty suggestion but always thought they were coral munchers.

Tony

You can have a Yellow tang in your tank.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I just can't decide or find a fish I'm comfortable with in my uncovered 75.

Tony

If the tank being uncovered is all your worried about, I would cover up asap. There is a thread around here somewhere I believe that shows how to do it with a window screen kit. I applaud you on the tang thing. Its hard not to get one. I got my powder blue small, knowing I will only had/have a little time with him. He lumbers around the tank so slow tho, I think he may be fine for a little longer than I expected. He NEVER races or even uses half the tank for a speed burst, so far.

Get a Bellus Angel.. Beautiful, very active and not coral munchers..!!

Nice fish, odd I do not see those more in tanks!? Thanks but was kind of looking for something in the 2"-4" range. Looks like wrasses are the only things that move around. Kind of afraid to get a bully though by getting one of the smaller ones, like a 6-line or something..

six lines are active, but they spend a lof of there activity in the rocks, I think there are a lot of other wrasses that will give you more of what your looking for, like a carpenter wrasse, flasher wrasse, velvet wrasse.. IMO they spend more time in the open areas.. But, I do love watching my six line clean the other fish, that part is really cool and its a great scavenger.. Ha, I feel like I just contradicted myself, either way wrasses are awesome fish.. Oh, or you could get some blue reef chromis, very pretty and active..

And you probably dont see more bellus' bc of the nice price tag that comes with them.. I got mine from another member ata great price, and would love to have another, but not for $100+..

Edited by trockafella

yellow 'coris' wrasse is mover--

These wrasses also go into predator mode, where they will hover over a coral looking for pests and then will strike with ferocity.

Fun fish indeed.

I have a flame hawkfish that is my favorite, he is always on the move dodging from one cave or crevice to another. I did my aquascape with this in mind, providing lots of places for him. They dont have swim bladders, so he doesnt swim out in the open very much, tends to stay perched on the rocks. But being bright red, and very active he always catches the eye of every new person that sees my tank.

Lamark Angelfish. Totally reef safe, cheap price, eats anything and over time develops short streamers on the tail.

Okay, that sucker gets to 10" !! Guess I could get a baby or something?

The fish that you sold are pretty active.

Cardinals got chased by my tang and anthias, they did nothing but hide behind the rock work. The others, lets just say it was time to change eras, lol. They were not really working for me aesthetically anyhow.

yellow 'coris' wrasse is mover--

These wrasses also go into predator mode, where they will hover over a coral looking for pests and then will strike with ferocity.

Fun fish indeed.

I was watching them on Youtube and think i ran into a problem with them. They seem to like to sleep in the sand. That may be a big no no for my undisturbed (after the first 1/4", so far) DSB in the DT. :sad:

I was watching them on Youtube and think i ran into a problem with them. They seem to like to sleep in the sand. That may be a big no no for my undisturbed (after the first 1/4", so far) DSB in the DT. :sad:

This isnt something that I would worry about. The top portion of your sand bed is aerobic, and the fish will stay away from areas that may hinder either the fish's style or the function of the sand bed.

McCoskers wrasses are becoming common. They are beautiful active fish and they don't get bigger than 2-3".

+1 I have one (Being moved to the display tank as we speak) and he's very nice. Swims around all the time.