protien skimmer design?

GraffitiSpotCorals

If I can't afford to buy a $400 skimmer because I do not have a high income like other folkes does anyone have any suggestions on a DIY protien skimmer design I could use in my sump? In my 29 gallon I just put a air stone in the skimmer box which broke up the film nicely and I never had any problems with troublesome algea blooms. This tank is 210 gallons though, and I have built a larger version of the way a ran the 29 gallon reef. It seems that everything will work fine despite others disbeliefs, however I would like suggestions on protien skimmers and I am not going to respond to negative answers or $200-$400 skimmers, Please DIY projects are best for this broke little school girl. :)

Martin Moe has some DIY skimmer designs in his Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates, including a cheap venturi skimmer made with PVC pipe. In fact, it is full of cool DIY plans for people with no money. You might be able to find a used copy cheap, or one at the library.

You could always build an easy counter current skimmer that uses airstones. You could probably build one for less than $50 too. Another alternative is to build a fuge instead. I assume you're using no skimmer now?

Dan at Gray Sea Aquatics has parts for DIY. He also sells pre-made skimmers in that price range. He is local, located in Mount Vernon. He is also a member of WAMAS. Many people on WAMAS use his products, including myself. I just installed a GSA1 on my tank. Give his sight a visit.

http://www.greyseasaquatics.com/

I'm also giving away parts/pieces for a turboflotor for free. If you have the time to figure out how to repair it, you can have it.

You could always build an easy counter current skimmer that uses airstones. You could probably build one for less than $50 too. Another alternative is to build a fuge instead. I assume you're using no skimmer now?

I always have a fuge on my tanks, its part of the way I always put my sump together and it works. But when I put the airstone in the skimmer box it broke up the film that everyone gets on the top of the tank. I want a DIY skimmer to help with that. I don't know why my boyfriend can put his hands in the tank many times nothing bothers him when I do that and the film is biult up My hands/arm start to get a red rash and I feel like I am getting shocked by something. Does this ever happen to anyone else? I may be allergic to something?

You're probably allergic to something. There are other members here that are also allergic to their tanks.

As far as a DIY skimmer, the PVC skimmer is probably your best bet. Dan's DIY items are also good, but may be pricier than what you're looking for. The problem is that acrylic and pumps are expensive. At $250 for Dan's skimmer body, he's not making that much money. Then, you'd buy the pump for it for an extra $100.

So a PVC body is probably your best bet, or look at a used ASM skimmer as Rob suggested.

Find a used psychlone... cyclone? Oh, yeah - Sea-clone! Made by 'Aquarium Systems'.

You will hear nothing good about these things. They are cheap, don't work... next time you are over - have me show you mine. I got it free, being thrown out by someone. YES - they need to be adjusted almost daily. YES - they need to be cleaned every few weeks (the air/water intake gets clogged easily). BUT - they work GREAT if you do that. And when's the last time you didn't spent 5 minutes doing something with your tank in the course of a day?

Get the Seaclone 150 if you can afford $90 new... It seems somewhat superior to the Seaclone 100. This skimmer uses a little maxi-jet pump, which lasts forever.

I've been tempted to get rid of my Deltec and hang 4-5 of these things in my sump!

bob

I have a Top Fathom 100A Venturi Protein Skimmer for $75 OBO. It's a older skimmer but a good one, takes a pump the size of a Mag7 to run it, is a larger footprint but works good.

Find a used psychlone... cyclone? Oh, yeah - Sea-clone! Made by 'Aquarium Systems'.

You will hear nothing good about these things. They are cheap, don't work... next time you are over - have me show you mine. I got it free, being thrown out by someone. YES - they need to be adjusted almost daily. YES - they need to be cleaned every few weeks (the air/water intake gets clogged easily). BUT - they work GREAT if you do that. And when's the last time you didn't spent 5 minutes doing something with your tank in the course of a day?

Get the Seaclone 150 if you can afford $90 new... It seems somewhat superior to the Seaclone 100. This skimmer uses a little maxi-jet pump, which lasts forever.

I've been tempted to get rid of my Deltec and hang 4-5 of these things in my sump!

bob

I will have to take a look at your skimmer next time I am over........maybe next week? You KNOW I spend MOST of my time with my tank hahaha, I don't know if I could handle only needing to take 5mins that will easily turn into 20! I can't wait to come over and look at your skimmer, Bob! :laugh:

<br>You're probably allergic to something. There are other members here that are also allergic to their tanks.<br><br>As far as a DIY skimmer, the PVC skimmer is probably your best bet. Dan's DIY items are also good, but may be pricier than what you're looking for. The problem is that acrylic and pumps are expensive. At $250 for Dan's skimmer body, he's not making that much money. Then, you'd buy the pump for it for an extra $100.<br><br>So a PVC body is probably your best bet, or look at a used ASM skimmer as Rob suggested.<br>

GSA's straight 6 comes with a pump, can be turned into internal or external pump, and works fantastic.