150 Gallon Starphire Reef Tanks

Mando77

How much does a new 150 Gallon Starphire Glass Reef tank sell for. I'm always looking into things and can't seem to find a price. I'm really trying to put a nice setup together. I'm thinking a nice set up for a tank this size would run about $10,000?

I have gotten a quote from miracles (out of Canada) for a 60x30x20 rimless with 3 sided starfire glass. Shipped to my door was just over $1500 for the tank only. Then you need to have a stand built for it. What dimensions are you looking for. For $10,000, you could have way more than a 150 gallon tank. Maybe a 1500 gallon tank..

I think the $10K was tank, stand, lights, skimmer, reactors, controller........ You know - "setup". Yikes! I think end cost depends on whether you go used or new, top of the line or solid/dependable, etc.

My 240-gallon with Starphire on the front cost me $600 used. Built the stand myself for about $100 in materials. 150 pounds of live rock purchased from WAMAS members was about $450. $100 worth of sand. Grey Seas Skimmer about $250. Custom-built 90-gallon sump ran another $300 (but it is awesome). Return pumps about another $300 (dual eheim's).

So for a 240 on the 'cheap' (used tank, rock, less expensive equipment) ran me a bit over $2000 for the basics. Then, it depends on what you want to do with the tank. My lighting (10x80W T5's) ran about another $1000. Add $200 for a kalk reactor if you want to grow coral. Another $400 for CA reactor if you want to grow a LOT of coral. Media reactor for carbon/phosphate remover is a good idea ($200). Even if you plumbed up a nice return, you will want some powerheads. $250-$1000 depending on what you get.

So.... let's estimate about $5000 to set up a pretty decent 240-gallon system.

Then you get to buy fish, corals, etc. to populate it.

bob

That is a pretty good budget for the whole system. We have done tank installations in the 200g range (give or take) around $8,000 to $10,000... and that is with installation, filled with water, liverock sand etc. SO if you are doing it yourself you can use some of that $ on equipment upgrades or livestock. Of course, a LOT depends on what you want in the way of lighting and filtration and quality of the stand / canopy. Wanting starfire shouldn't bump you out of that range, but depending on the MFG it could delay the tank a little.

On the other hand, you could go "nutz" on some of the equipment and burn $20,000 or more, but that is up to you :o)

Good luck with it, tanks that size are loads of fun!

Phil

Edited by Grav

I always tell new hobbyists to plan on $50-$60/gal for a quality setup and beginner corals & fish. Obviously, better deals can be had by watching the for sale forum, but you have to spend time looking for them.

Thanks for the info. Seems there are many ways to go. I do want to build the system and would greatly consider used equipment. I always try to round cost up because this hobby isnt cheap.

I bought a 120 oceanic tech tank with starphire, a giesemann spectra light, 2 Vortech MP40s, deltec skimmer, calcium reactor and media reactor, teco chiller, sump, stand and rocks for $3000.00 This set up would have cost $7000 new.

Everything was 'like new' condition, only a few months old. So... internet searching and a little luck go a long way in this hobby.