My 90g reef

I have been waiting a very long time for this and finally got things started.

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

Before

IMG_9684.jpg

IMG_9687.jpg

After

Stand was built by Brian (Corsi1330) and he did an excellent job on it, more than i expected!

This is my first time painting anything and i tried my best not to ruin this incredible stand :P

Took me about 3 days to paint this... i guess i kept taking "breaks" from it so it should of been done a little sooner. I added a layer of polyacrylic so the water that splashes on there will slide off.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So it has been a while since i updated this. I just have been very busy lately and trying to get this done so i can have it start cycling. So here are some pics :)

IMG_9962.jpg

Fits perfectly and made some baffles...

IMG_9963.jpg

Got my black starboard and silicone the edges...

_MG_9992.jpg

Made the light stand out of PVC then spray painted it black... The light was heavier than i thought about 30 something pounds or more... The glass shield weighs a lot! I was worried it wouldnt hold but i guess PVC is pretty strong :) it bends but nothing too major... I havent seen the fixture for a while since i purchased it a long time ago and when i was building the light stand i measured wrong for the hanging kit so came up short :( hope its not too much of a problem in the long run.

Edited by Bn251

Made the light stand out of PVC then spray painted it black... The light was heavier than i thought about 30 something pounds or more... The glass shield weighs a lot! I was worried it wouldnt hold but i guess PVC is pretty strong :) it bends but nothing too major... I havent seen the fixture for a while since i purchased it a long time ago and when i was building the light stand i measured wrong for the hanging kit so came up short :( hope its not too much of a problem in the long run.

With that ceiling so close to the light, why don't you ditch the ghetto rig PVC thing and just install a cable hanging system instead? It'll look way nicer and be much stronger.

(edited)

With that ceiling so close to the light, why don't you ditch the ghetto rig PVC thing and just install a cable hanging system instead? It'll look way nicer and be much stronger.

I second that totally. You will be much happier and for all the money on those gadgets you have bought, the safety of a proper hanging kit is a cheap investment. It would suck to have it all ruined because of the failure of the pvc. You said it is already bending. Add the heat from the lamp and it will bend even more and into the tank it may go killing you system and possibly causing a fire!

Hang the light with your PVC hanger over your bathroom tub and fill tub with water, turn your halides on, and then YOU jump in the tub. Are we feeling safe now??

BTW, I see that light switch on the wall right behind the tank. I would cover that is some way. With an open top and if fish are in there, they will splash and it could go into that switch causing an electrical issue.

Edited by rioreef

If you decide to stay with PVC. Just buy some metal tubing that you can fit inside the pvc to provide extra support.

Ron

I was thinking about adding metal tubing but it was too much at the time so id thought id just go with the PVC and its hard now because i glued everything together already :(

I wanted to hang the kit from the ceiling but i didnt want to poke anymore holes in my walls, but i just might have to. Anyone know where i can get a nice hanging kit? Also im not sure where the beams are in my ceiling :( ill find a way to cover those switches too.

Heres some more pics...

_MG_9968.jpg

Hamilton Cebu 2 250watt 20k Radiums, 4 T-5 actinic 03, and not sure if you can see it but this fixture has some LEDs on the base of the single ended bulbs also thinking about switching 2 of the T-5 03 actinics to 22k aqua science though what you guys think?

IMG_9973.jpg

Mesh Tops

_MG_9983.jpg

_MG_9985.jpg

_MG_9987.jpg

What size tank are you using for your sump? Did you make the mesh top or did you buy it somewhere?

Matt

Hey Matt, its a 30g sump. As for the mesh top i made it myself, got some window screen supplies and put it together and the mesh was from a member on R2R.