60 cube

zygote2k

I finally got my 60 cube this evening and placed it on the equally as nice stand. I only have one clamp lamp to show off one of the LED bulbs, but you get the general idea. Travis gave me a rock frame so I can build the rock column.

Some basic shots for now.

gallery_2631654_582_745707.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_39406.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_882679.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to make my own light fixture since Home Depot and Lowes didn't have what I was looking for. I'm going the clean and neat approach with this new tank, so the light should be neat too. I cut some 1/4" ABS on the CNC machine today and attached some ceramic lamp sockets. The top screws are what came in the kit, but I'll be replacing them with something black. The wires will be routed across the top and tucked neatly into conduit that will act as a support. Here's what I have so far:

gallery_2631654_582_162534.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_447734.jpg

gallery_2631654_582_439968.jpg

That is a very nice looking setup Rob!

How many of the LED luminaires are you going to use?

Will this also be run skimmerless?

I'll run 3 for right now, if I need more I'll add another.

Of course it will be skimmerless! I've already proven to myself that I can grow SPS without a skimmer, now I just need to have a system that looks as good as it works.

I'm making a stand for the 'fuge that will match (sort of) the main stand. It will sit on the right side of the tank hidden from sight. I have a 15g acrylic sump that will hold a DSB and the return pump. I want to keep everything simple and clean. I'll be getting 2) MP10's soon to replace the Koralias. No more wires!

I finished the light today. I made it from PVC conduit and a junction box that will mount on the wall. It cost less than $30 to make it.

I've spent $325 total- not bad for a light that will last 5+ years.

gallery_2631654_582_359687.jpg

The tank and the lights look great. I can't wait to see it with water and corals inside!

And on a sidenote, if I had 1/10th of the DIY skills you and Nate have, I feel like I'd be able to make anything!

Nice job rob, cnc work looks good. are you going to end up hanging the light and chords etc or is it going to be a clamp on??

still cant believe how bright those things were in your hallway.

Cant wait for water to go in.

Well- it's all together and running now. Very tiny leak, but the salt creep should seal it right up in no time. After all is said and done, 4 of these lights will sufficiently light a 24" square area. Next generation light will have 4 or 5 bulbs.

I took a break from shoveling and built a new DSB using some of the old DSB sand. I used the second chamber of a sump to place the DSB and the other side for the return pump. On top of the DSB is now the temporary 'fuge. It should suffice until the new trizonal filtration unit is built.

After all of my debates on reusing the old sand, I poured one cup into the tank and turned it into instant murk and decided to bag the sand for now. I put a sheet of eggcrate down to prevent the Engineer Goby from moving the rock. I'll strategically place the sand where I want it now.

Here's a few photos of what I have accomplished so far:

gallery_2631654_582_320095.jpggallery_2631654_582_634475.jpggallery_2631654_582_500294.jpggallery_2631654_582_47703.jpggallery_2631654_582_545993.jpggallery_2631654_582_617400.jpggallery_2631654_582_309102.jpg

I'm slowly filling it in with live sand and some of the old mixture. I reused the sand from the old DSB to make the new DSB.

The Engineer Goby keeps telling me he wants his sand back.

The shimmer effect is more intense than MH. The corals seem bushier.

Looks good, Rob. I didn't see on your LED thread what optics you picked. The light seems to be very focused. Even more so than when there wasn't any water in the tank (although that might be just an illusion).

Have you taken any PAR readings now that that water has cleared? If the shot with the dust storm is any indicator it doesn't look like most of the light is penetrating below about 50%.

Thoughts on that fourth bulb? Are you going to run it with wide or no optics to get some general light in the tank?