Algae Turf Scrubber screen, where to get?

Larry Grenier

The guys on algaescrubber.net are using needlepoint screen from walmart or jo-ann fabrics or michaels etc. . .

It's called "Plastic canvas". I have a big stack of it somewhere, but you're too far away.

As I recall, paul b used plastic window screening that he lightly treated with some (powdered) portland cement for his algae trough. The cement was to give the algae something better to adhere, to. You may try to look up his algae trough thread on the forum for a possibly helpful idea.

You bet, I just exchanged PMs with Paul :clap:

As I recall, paul b used plastic window screening that he lightly treated with some (powdered) portland cement for his algae trough. The cement was to give the algae something better to adhere, to. You may try to look up his algae trough thread on the forum for a possibly helpful idea.

You bet, I just exchanged PMs with Paul :clap:

There's something to be said (and learned) from being in the hobby 40 years... You do realize that we've invited him to be the speaker at our next meeting, right?

You can use needlepoint screen but it only comes in small pieces. Plastic window screen is cheaper and you can get it in any length.

I sand paper it to roughen it up then smear some Sakrete Mortor mix on it. Algae just loves cement.

The only algae I have in my tank is on the cement coated screen andI have a lot of it.

I want the algae in there, just not on my corals.

Here is my algae trough which is almost free to make.

Algaetrough001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm setting up a 250 gallons tank and planning to use a horizontal ATS scrubber placed in the sump such as this one I found somewhere in the net ATS.JPGATS2.JPG

ATS3.JPG

My question is, is it necessary to take out the grown algae and scrub it off with tap water? Can I just cut off the water, stop the pump, weekly scrape the algae instead?

James

Edited by docjames

My question is, is it necessary to take out the grown algae and scrub it off with tap water? Can I just cut off the water, stop the pump, weekly scrape the algae instead?

James

Yes you want to use fresh water. The idea is to partially kill off the pod population on the screen; they eat the algae making the ATS less productive.

Back in the day, we just pulled the screen out of the scrubber and scraped everything off with a credit card. Never rinsed mine- it just grew that much faster. If you dry all the stuff that comes off the screen and pound it flat, you'll have some excellent food for the fishies.

I'm sorry for further questions. I'm a bit confused. I read an article written by Simon Trippick's ATS http://www.wetwebmed...e_6_1/algae.htm and wrote him asking him the same questions that was posted. This is what he had replied to me:

>My question is, is it necessary to take out the grown algae and scrub it

> off with tap water?

> <No, I hope my article was not confusing in any way - the screen should

> never be 'scrubbed' at all, yet alone with fresh water. This would set

the

> whole thing back months.>

> Or can I just cut off the water, stop the pump, weekly scrape the algae

> instead?

> <Yes, just periodically remove some of the algae by hand>

> I'm asking is because if I need to take it out once a week for fresh

water

> scrubbing, I may have to come up with a design that makes it easier to

take

> out the algae panels.

> <No, you only have to remove it when you take apart the sump, or change

> something underneath it. I used the compartment underneath to keep live

> rock in, and I would cycle a couple of pieces in and out of my tank every

> now and again>.

Now, this fresh water cleaning as I've been aggressively reading whatever I can find in the internet seems to all state that fresh water scrubbing is the way to go. However, it seems that Mr. Trippick is doing fine with his ATS system. Could it possibly because as he just hand remove the algae, the pods will also be removed enough not hindering the ATS productivity?

Thanks for your input ctenophore, I sure wish there are more people using ATS that can come to a more conclusive way of using this filtration method. My project will start next week, can more people who are using ATS help me start this aquarium in more of an agreement? It's really giving me a headache.

Thanks.

James

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was Santamonica who said you can discolor your tank water if you scrape in the tank.

chris