Skimmer Questions.

TonyInVa

After researching it seems that the Bubble King and Deltecs are getting good reviews. But it seems that so are the Bubble Magus and any other skimmer over $200. With threads talking about running a 120 gallon tank without one I really wonder. Are they really worth it? Other sites they say the Bubble King is. But how do we know? Can anyone offer any insite?

I've never owned one over $175 so I can't speak to them, but the 3 other one's I owned were not worth the money I put into them. Like you, I also heard you get what you pay for and the expensive ones are worth it. Personally, I saved the cash, got a large sump/fuge and had more money to spend on my corals/fish.

I can't tell you anything about a Bubble King. But as far as $$$ vs. value - I have an old 'Seaclone 100', which has to be about the cheapest skimmer there ever was. It works great! It just needs to be adjusted frequently.

bob

I can't tell you anything about a Bubble King. But as far as $$ vs. value - I have an old 'Seaclone 100', which has to be about the cheapest skimmer there ever was. It works great! It just needs to be adjusted frequently.

bob

OMG! I demolished the Seaclone I tried to use on my nano - it produced NOTHING at all - my old AIRSTONE skimmer worked ten bazillion times better than the Seaclone! On the plus side, there was zero nitrate in that tank with NO skimmer.

You can run a tank without a skimmer if you have other methods of keeping nitrate level down. Ask Rob (Zygote).

I'll post a pic of my cheap skimmer when I find the url...

Odyssea PS160, cost me about $59.00.

cup.jpg

sludge.jpg

I use this skimmer in a sump - it is marketed to be used either way, but I tried it as a hang-on before I set the sump up, and it wasn't near as productive.

I tried adding an ASM mini to work along with this, but the the ASM wouldn't work at all unless this was turned off... the ASM is in the closet.

have you checked out GSA cone skimmer? I would suggest you look into one. I have a Deltec but wished I has seen the GSA cone before i bought the Deltec.

have you checked out GSA cone skimmer? I would suggest you look into one. I have a Deltec but wished I has seen the GSA cone before i bought the Deltec.

+1 but I don't have a deltec.

peek

I'm running a double pump

+1 on GSA. Dan makes a very nice skimmer that will be more than enough for a 120. I am running a GS2 with 1 pump on my 150 with no worries.

I have had a lot of skimmers. Deltec and Bubble King are very nice but I think having the builder and designer of the skimmer within 30 minutes counts for quite a bit as well.

This topic is debated endlessly. Head over to www.advancedaquarist.com and search for the articles they did on measuring skimmer performance - that is the only article I've found that has tried to quantify the difference between various skimmers. Definitely talk to Dan about the GSA skimmers. He usually imitates a deltec or similar design, improving on it slightly.

This topic is debated endlessly. Head over to www.advancedaquarist.com and search for the articles they did on measuring skimmer performance - that is the only article I've found that has tried to quantify the difference between various skimmers. Definitely talk to Dan about the GSA skimmers. He usually imitates a deltec or similar design, improving on it slightly.

I looked for that article but could not find it.