Bill's finally back in the hobby 150 gallon build

OldReefer

I have had reef tanks in Fairfax and in Montreal. The last one in Montreal got pretty elaborate, with about 300 gallons between 3 tanks and a sump. I got out of the hobby when I moved to Alexandria 3 years ago and took a job that had me traveling about 300K miles a year, The travel is going to settle down hopefully, so I took a chance and started piecing this tank together over the last 6 months.

DSC02625.jpg

It is a 60" X 24" X 24" tank with a starfire front panel. I tried to buy one from Oceanic, but they couldn't deliver a tank and a stand after 3 months of trying. I guess they are having some serious financial problems. So I swallowed hard, said a little prayer, and had this one built by Glasscages. I was pleasantly surprised. It is very well built and has some nice workmanship where it mattered. I didn't even have any customer service hassles.

DSC02627.jpg

The tank sits in an alcove I built out of our entry closed in our living room.

It has an 8 X 80 ATI Powermodule that is a thing of beauty.

I also have 3 MP40Ws. Two are generating a wave and one is providing some random flow back to front. . One is on battery backup.

The 200 lbs of live rock came from Dr. Mac. It cycled in about 3 days using MB7. It is great fresh rock with lots of life and great plating shapes.

The sump is downstairs in an unused guest kitchen.

DSC02632.jpg

It is a 75 gallon sump. The skimmer is from GSA. I am running a sicce with a purple pinwheel and it works great. I have a BRS media reactor running carbon and GFO. I also run and Enaly ozone generator carefully.

You will see a lot of automation. I need that since I travel so much. I have an AC3 with and expansion module. I am running 5 float switches, to handle top-off, sump levels, and water mixing. There is a 32 gallon Rubbermaid underneath the counter.

I also have 2 BRS dosers that I am in the process of dialing in.

On the other side of the room I have a 30 gallon Q tank set up with a hang-on filter and a couple of T5s. It is also hooked up for gravity auto top-off.

DSC02631.jpg

That is all for now. I will try to update again with some livestock in place. I don't have to travel until the middle of January. We will see how it goes.

Hi Bill, nice set up! Very clean and organized - nice that you had a guest kitchen that you could turn into a sump room!

Where in Montreal were you? My wife is from there and I've gone to a couple of stores in the past in that area, one whose name I can remember if I think real hard...

That is a really nice tank, can't wait to see the progress

Thanks for the comments. I lived in NDG on the west side of Montreal. The had a couple LFS of there. One was up on Decarie but I got most of my stock from other reefers. I got my hardware from the US. I had diplomatic status up there so I was able to deliver stuff to the border and bring it across without the traditional 15% tax.

Nice setup Bill. Can you detail the power backup for your AC3? I use a 9v battery, but the 6xC (or D?) seems like it should give a much longer emergency runtime. Where did you get the battery box and plug that fits the AC3?

Nice setup Bill. Can you detail the power backup for your AC3? I use a 9v battery, but the 6xC (or D?) seems like it should give a much longer emergency runtime. Where did you get the battery box and plug that fits the AC3?

Good eye. I would like details of this too. I think a nice unit with 3ea rechargeable lithium ion rcr123a 3v batteries and a relay would be awesome.

Bill, it looks great. Were the sump room pics taken before or after you connected the sump to the main tank?

Good eye. I would like details of this too. I think a nice unit with 3ea rechargeable lithium ion rcr123a 3v batteries and a relay would be awesome.

Bill, it looks great. Were the sump room pics taken before or after you connected the sump to the main tank?

The pictures were from yesterday with the tank plumbed in. The skimmer took a couple of days off when all the new plumbing material reduced the surface tension of the water, but now it is back running strong. I am skimming wet to pull off any contaminents. It is really a nice skimmer Dan. I really like the purple pinwheel with it. It starts up every time (good when I travel), and gives a nice balance between air and water flow.

I love the lithium ion idea. I am surprised Neptune has never built a little box like that and sold it for $50 bucks. They would sell quite a few. Something that ran if for an hour or so and was always recharged would be great. Even better if it incorporated the existing power supply as well to get rid of more plugs and cords. I could easily picture a little plug-in box between the power supply and the controller with a GSA logo on it.

I just have 4 and 2 cell D-battery holders stuck together, with a normal Radio Shack 1/8" plug. I don't know how long it will run, but I would expect it would last the better part of a day. After the first few minutes all you can do is watch the sump go cold.

Thanks Boret. How about the little plug that fits the AC3? What are those called, anyway?

Boret,

No plans for a frag tank or fuge at this time. I love a big fuge. My last one was a 90 gallon above my 180 display. I don't have much room to expance in this setup. Maybe I will figure out how to recycle that Q tank as a frag tank after I get my fish in.

Justin,

As far as that plug, I just used a 1/8" Radio Shack stereo plug.

I like the looks of the 6 cell "C" battery holder in that link.

since you have that pegboard wall, have you thought about running all the extra wires and cables behind it so as not to be seen?

nice set up too.

Thanks,

Now that I finally have the thing running I will see what I could do about cleaning up the wires. There are an amazing amount of wires and tubes in an automated system.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

Looking good. Since you travel so much, I recommend you get one of those Brother labelmakers and go to town labeling everything...wires, pipes, controllers, skimmer, etc. That way when you're trying to troubleshoot something over the phone with the tanksitter or significant other, they're able to communicate clearly and don't call everything a "thingy". I did my tank this way, even adding labels to my light bulbs and RO/DI filters with installation dates to track usage, and have found it very helpful over the years.

Jon

Good advice Jon. I'll do that over the weekend. I may also get a wireless camera so I can watch from Singapore when my wife tries to clean the skimmer.

Bill

Very impressive! I am glad to hear you had good luck with glasscages. Keep us posted!

Does that vortech on the back wall cause a sand storm?

That Vortech on the back would be better if it was 36" deep. I have to dial it back quite a bit. I have the ones on the sides synched up and making a 1/2" wave. The one in the back is random just to mix things up.

I have been picking up livestock all over the place. Big BZA order arrives next week.

Glasscages is scary, they either get it right or they don't. I got one of the good ones. I sure like the starfire front glass.

By the way, I took the thought about the frag tank seriously. I am getting a used 150 watt Viper in next week to clamp on my fuge. I am converting half of the middle section of my sump to a frag grow out space and keeping the other half for chaeto.

I have been busy over the holiday break so I thought I would post an update.

I have added lots of coral and a few fish:

Whole.jpg

Here are a few closer shots. Many WAMAS members will recognize their corals:

Center.jpg

Right.jpg

I took some of your advice and put a frag grow out section into my sump. I am using a 150 watt Viper.

You can see the frag section next to the skimmer. There is still plenty of room to grow chaeto and pods to the right.

Frag_Fuge.jpg

I put a screen cover over the top of the tank since I will have anthias and maybe some wrasses.

Cover.jpg

Since I will be traveling and coaching my wife through tank care, I put a wireless camera with two way audio next to the sump.

SumpCam.jpg

Here is the view of the sump from the "Sump Cam". I can pan and tilt the camera to see most stuff.

SumpCamView.jpg

Sure can. You set up access throught the internet much the same way as you do for an AC3. I should be able to sit in Singapore with one window open to my controller and another open to the web cam. You can also talk through the camera to whoever is in the room. Should be a big help if something goes bump in the night.

Here is the link if you want to buy one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-Wireless-...=item20aed31e3c

Oh man, that camera is almost perfect, until I read the part about it needing Windows/IE to use it. I wonder if there is a similar class/price camera that works on Mac?

• 2 months later...

Just an update with most of the livestock in. I have stuff in here from at least 4 vendors and a dozen WAMAS members. Thanks to everybody for the help. Nothing to do but keep it stable and let it grow.

Full_tank_3-10.jpg

Left_3-10.jpg

Right_side_3-10.jpg

SyLengCap.jpg

Purple_acro-1.jpg

Tyree_flower_petal.jpg

McCoskers.jpg