Taking livestock on domestic flights.

Jan

Some how I'm going to guess its a no no but you may want to contact your airlines, i know its a no no to bring them instate.

Though when we were breading reptiles, we use to check our snakes and lizards as luggage, and that was just based on permits to have the animals and that it was packed according to the airlines guide lines, but i don't think you can carry on fish... call you air line.

Ive never done it, but i imagine that you cant do it unless you are transporting less than 3 oz. of water. As with deoderant, shampoo, cologne etc. you arent allowed to bring any liquids in your carry on over 3 oz. That being said, I think you can call your airline directly and ask about exceptions, or possibilities, or maybe visit the TSA website. Keep us updated, Id be interested to hear what you find

It looks like I can carry on if i put it in 3 oz bottle. Small frags, shrooms, zoas and palys would fit if they were very small. If too big I'd have to put it in my luggage and check it. I'll call and confirm later today.

Ive never done it, but i imagine that you cant do it unless you are transporting less than 3 oz. of water. As with deoderant, shampoo, cologne etc. you arent allowed to bring any liquids in your carry on over 3 oz. That being said, I think you can call your airline directly and ask about exceptions, or possibilities, or maybe visit the TSA website. Keep us updated, Id be interested to hear what you find

It looks like I can carry on if i put it in 3 oz bottle. Small frags, shrooms, zoas and palys would fit if they were very small. If too big I'd have to put it in my luggage and check it. I'll call and confirm later today.

It gets awefully cold in the belly of an aircraft. It probably won't survive you putting it in your checked luggage unless you make sure there is a heat pack in there.

Many of us here have done this several times. You are not importing anything into the states, so permits are not necessary (though you might save the receipt, just in case someone asks...). Of course, it use to be easier prior to the 3-1-1 rule, so any large items you'll be checking. As Steve said, it gets cold down there, so in the cooler, I would advise you use a heat pack or two.

Then again, with the cooler as another part of your checked luggage, you might be better served to FedEx overnight your corals to your house the day before you leave so you can receive them upon your arrival. Cost might be very similar and less hassle.

Cheers

Mike

If you are going to try it I would get the Kordon's Breathing Bags. You do not need to waste space with air in the bag. You are also able to use less water with those bags. If you use a heat pack make sure it is not right up against a bag as it will cook it.

What corals do plan to bring back? I have brought zoas back waterless in my carry on. Just wrap in wet paper towels.

i think it's no no..

you can't carry anything liquid when you enter to the terminal..

they would ask you what's this..and you will answer..

" it's acropora and some zoath (button polyp)",

"what??",

"it's Acropora, you know?"..

"I don't know what "Acropora" nor "Zoath," , please step on this side... "

and it will go on~..and i think you will think i just should not have brought this..

how do i know?..I tried LOL.. i tried to bring some zoa and acropora frags when i came back from SF trip...

I had to explain to the head of that security unit..and well you don't want to hear more...

I gave it back to my cousin who was just out side of the gate area..(and I can't forget the look they had on me..LOL)

I have done this, I transported live fish from Kauai to DC. Get a cooler, duct tape it up really well after placing items in the cooler. You can check the bag, they will not let you carry it on. Check with your airline, I flew United, they asked what was in the cooler, I said live fish. They seemed unconcerned.

Moga said "i think it's no no. you can't carry anything liquid when you enter to the terminal.." , This is not correct, you can't carry anything liquid when you enter the GATE, you can carry liquids in the terminal, but will not be able to get past security to access the gate.

Edited by overklok

Jan,

As an aircraft mechanic with many 10+ years in fuselage structres and general flight operation of aircraft the cargo pit of any domestic or international flight is pressurized and will not be subjected to the cold enviroment at 30k plus feet, so basically it will not be -30 in the cargo area. To make a long story short if you pack the coral in tightly sealed double bagged you will be fine and they will not freeze. The coldest it gets in the cargo pit is about 70. And unless you have a dog or cat going into the cargo pit area (in a kenel) they most likely want the animal to be check by the vet for approval to fly in the event the animal dies (which happend the other day to one unlucky family) on a United flight in bound from Rome.

I have done this, I transported live fish from Kauai to DC. Get a cooler, duct tape it up really well after placing items in the cooler. You can check the bag, they will not let you carry it on. Check with your airline, I flew United, they asked what was in the cooler, I said live fish. They seemed unconcerned.

Moga said "i think it's no no. you can't carry anything liquid when you enter to the terminal.." , This is not correct, you can't carry anything liquid when you enter the GATE, you can carry liquids in the terminal, but will not be able to get past security to access the gate.

yes right..you can't pass the security..thanks~