Quiet pump?

Happyfeet

I'm running a mag 9.5 right now, which is a lot more powerful than I need and I'm looking to downgrade.

The Mag 9.5 is pretty freaking loud, I can hear it from every part of my apartment with all the doors shut, is their a quieter option? I understand all pumps are going to make noise, but I'd like to be able to get some sleep at night.

I'm running a mag 9.5 right now, which is a lot more powerful than I need and I'm looking to downgrade.

The Mag 9.5 is pretty freaking loud, I can hear it from every part of my apartment with all the doors shut, is their a quieter option? I understand all pumps are going to make noise, but I'd like to be able to get some sleep at night.

Is it the pump itself or is the pump vibrating against something? Some people use cut up pieces of mouse pads under the pump to make them quiet.

Is it the pump itself or is the pump vibrating against something? Some people use cut up pieces of mouse pads under the pump to make them quiet.

I think its the pump itself, I've been using cork as a temporary buffer to remove the vibrations on the glass. It makes it not as loud, but its still pretty loud. enough to lose sleep over in the next room.

I'll look into an eheim

(edited)
I have a Blueline Velocity T3 if you're looking for a new pump and want to go external.

Thanks for the offer, with my luck on plumbing lately, I want the pump to be inside the sump to reduce water going places it shouldn't! thanks!

Also thats more GPH than I need. I think I really only need about 600GPH for my tank.

Edited by Happyfeet

Jon, Does the Poseidon heat up your tank any? I have read it can increase tank temps by 4 to 6 degrees.

I dunno. I've read that too, but I've read a lot of anecdote or just plain wrong on the internet. Certainly some of the heat goes into the tank, but I don't know how much, or how it compares to another given pump.

For a long time I've wanted to test the actual temperature gain experimentally, but just never got around to doing it. It could be as simple as filling two 5g buckets with salt water, and putting the pump in one. Take temperatures before to make sure they're the same, and check the temps periodically. Even better would be a third bucket with another T4 pump, or even a different type of pump. Using different pumps and comparing them would help control for heat loss through radiation. Or you could use a closed ice chest to eliminate the heat radiation altogether.

Maybe we should start a forum for reef experiment design ala Mythbusters. Now THAT would fit the educational charter of the club!

strange. I've used a mag 9.5 before in my sump and it is not as loud as you are indicating. It's not the quietest pump, but it shouldn't be heard through doors and such. Before looking for a new pump, i'd suggest maybe giving it a good clean in a bucket of distilled vinegar... let it run for about 30 minutes to an hour or if you're up to the task, unscrew the front plate and see if there's is anything lodged or stuck inside that's causing the noise...

I also had a mag which I found much too loud being that my tank is in my bedroom. I immediately replaced that with a RIO because I couldn't deal with the noise and I'm actually quite happy with it. I think some people give them a bad rap but I've had it for a year now with no problems. I don't think there is such a thing as dead silent as people claim when the pump is in a bedroom when you're trying to sleep but it's pretty quiet. Some people claim Tunze pumps are dead silent. I would say the RIO operates at about the same volume as my Tunze on my skimmer. I use a pad under the pump as well.

+1 on the Eheim 1262.

However, are you plumbed with hard pipe all the way to the tank or do you have any flexible pipe or tubing to help isolate the plumbing from vibration?

+1 on the Eheim 1262.

However, are you plumbed with hard pipe all the way to the tank or do you have any flexible pipe or tubing to help isolate the plumbing from vibration?

I have hard plumbing for the entire system. Think a flex plumbing would help the noise level?

I have hard plumbing for the entire system. Think a flex plumbing would help the noise level?

There's a very reasonable chance then, if the pump is pretty clean, that what you're hearing is vibration being transferred from the pump to the plumbing and that you're hearing the plumbing vibrate on something like your stand, the back of your tank, or something like that. Try grabbing hold of the plumbing (near the pump) with your hand and see if you notice a change in the noise level.

It could be the pump still, but try this simple test to see if the real problem is just vibration isolation.

There's a very reasonable chance then, if the pump is pretty clean, that what you're hearing is vibration being transferred from the pump to the plumbing and that you're hearing the plumbing vibrate on something like your stand, the back of your tank, or something like that. Try grabbing hold of the plumbing (near the pump) with your hand and see if you notice a change in the noise level.

It could be the pump still, but try this simple test to see if the real problem is just vibration isolation.

I grabbed it, moved it around, lifted it so my hand was the only contact anywhere along the line. still just very loud. I'll just replace it. I'm not sure if its the pump or if its just the regular noise level, but its too high for me. I can't take the drone lol.