Dosing Vs. Calcium Reactor

DDiver

what are your thoughts..i'm currently dosing via Profilux doser and i'm happy with the results and ease of use...but everytime i see a tank that runs a reactor i'm always blown away by the growth of sps that i see...i'm i missing something?is there something else other than the calcium in the media?...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very good question... I was wondering the same thing. I am putting together plans for a future tank upgrade. Let me pose another question. Is it more effective to use calcium reactors on larger tanks?

The media is often times material from old coral skeletons. Therefore, it's possible that there's additional trace elements not present in your dosing regimen.

Here's an interesting article that I came across recently: http://www.unc.edu/~jries/Gazette_Ries_06.pdf Note the researcher's findings regarding coral growth rate as it relates to magnesium level. At (very) low magnesium levels (500 ppm or less), it appears, coral growth rate is slowed as more of the skeleton is built from calcite rather than aragonite. What's interesting is not so much the effect on growth rate as it is the change in the form of calcium composition that is deposited.

I use to do two-part which worked great for my coral growth for the past few years, until recently i added a ca-reactor. About a month ago i hooked it up set all the parameters on teh ACIII and done! Before my Alk was 6dKH, Ca 350ppm, and pH ~8.1-8.3. Now, and without any fluctuation, Alk 12dKH, Ca ~420-440ppm, and pH 8.3-8.38! The coral also shows it! They were growing semi fast efor, but now there going crazy! I had a piece of rainbow mont that had a .75" gap between two sections and within a week the gap was nearly inivisible and now completely closed! (i could literally see a little bit of growth change each day, which i have never seen before) Also, IMO its just one thing that i dont need to worry about anymore or in terms of supps, going out every few weeks and dropping $40 just for two-part. It's made it much easier on my life, since work is hectic, but i really want my tank to thirve and grow without me forgetting or not having the time for daily dosing (though peristaltic dosing is good, but can also be expense in the lone run). Just as a thought as well, i use Kalk in conjuction with the reactor and was also using it before i added the ca reactor as well. Hope this helps!! My second best investment for my tank besides the ACII!!!

-Anthony

I don't think it's anymore effective on a larger system. I just think it's more cost effective. You can go either route and both are trying to accomplish pretty much the same thing. Keeping Alk/Calc in line. On larger tanks, you'll use 2/3 part more as your system matures, in a sense, it'll be the same with the calc reactor, but not as quickly as the 2part. There's been a few folks who have done the trade offs and have found that the only thing people fear from CaRx is the initial cost vs. 2 part (~$500+ compared to < $100), but in the long run as the system matures, you'll use less money buying CO2/media than you will with 2 part.

I agree and for myself personally, it was easier and i didnt forget as much or get tied up with things and not have time to dose two-part. Also, since i have a controller, i never had to worry about pH issues or wild parameters sending my tank into wack without it being under control. It was a ease of mind and time for me personally!

Fazio92,

did I read correctly that your overall PH went UP with the addition of a calcium reactor? You mentioned that you were dosing kalk before as well as after the reactor addition. That seems to be opposite of what most people experience regarding PH. Any idea what might have contributed to the PH rise?

all i can say is that since i started dosing the two part solution my SPS have taken off with both growth and color, maybe because my tank is small i am able to keep parameters in check or could be that i dont have as many SPS as others but the dosing pump i got to start dosing made my life easier and corals nicer. Maybe when i get a bigger tank i will try another method. I await zoozilla's comment on this since i got his dosing pump, i beleive he now has a calcium reactor so he may know a bit more about this.

Fazio92,

did I read correctly that your overall PH went UP with the addition of a calcium reactor? You mentioned that you were dosing kalk before as well as after the reactor addition. That seems to be opposite of what most people experience regarding PH. Any idea what might have contributed to the PH rise?

Actually the first couple of days i had it setup my pH fell. then i relocated my effluent line to drip into my skimmer intake to burn off the excess CO2, as well as adjusted the bubble rate because i noticed CO2 pockets in the top of the reactor (AKA too much CO2 at one time and was not being consumed). But after I fixed those two issues and got ALk and Ca where i wanted them, the pH went stable as well. I know it really does not make sense being that they really arent related (except for it to fall), but it could be because my Kalk is now being balanced against the Co2 comming in from the reactor? dont really know. The only other thing I did was raise my Mg2+ from 1050ppm to 1450ppm; which probably made the difference too. I have a 92 corner fully stocked SPS and it just consumed too much for me to keep buying two-part and dosing so frequently, now the reactor is a godsend for me! Up front expensive, but in the long run for ME it is much cheaper. Again ever tank is different. Mine is 95% SPS and tons of them along with clams, so Alk and Ca cosumption is high; which is why it made sense for me to get the reactor. As a side note, i have had my clams roughly 3yrs and have really only grown about 2inchs over that period. Within the past month or so with the reactor, both have grown two layers (rims) of bright white new growth to their shells; i usually saw that every six months or so before. For me the reactor is incredible, but for others two-part may be the way to go. You just need to know your system and how is consumes. Just my 2c

Wow thanks for the input everyone..I'm just worried about the overall stability of parameters if iwent with a calcium reactor..I plan on running it without a kalk reactor.I do use alk buffered top off...

Wow thanks for the input everyone..I'm just worried about the overall stability of parameters if iwent with a calcium reactor..I plan on running it without a kalk reactor.I do use alk buffered top off...

Alk buffered topoff or Kalk buffered topoff?? If you mean kalk thats perfectly fine, you don't need alk though, thats the reactors responsibility to maintain after you get your intial Alk and Ca in line. If you have a controller, its a piece of cake! Good luck.

Alk buffered topoff or Kalk buffered topoff?? If you mean kalk thats perfectly fine, you don't need alk though, thats the reactors responsibility to maintain after you get your intial Alk and Ca in line. If you have a controller, its a piece of cake! Good luck.

I meant alk buffered top off..I noticed if I topped off with regular RO water it brings down my alk even though I dose..what's te reasoning behind kalk again?..

A controller is not a must, but defintily makes life super easy. Once you hook up the reactor you can tune it to raise your alk to where you want it, but keep in mind that lowers your Ca, so you will have to supp Ca until you have your parameters where you want them (i.e., Ca and Alk), then once that is achieved the reactor keeps everything balacned and stable at those levels. The Kalk can help offset the excess CO2 low pH, since it is more basic than acidic. You can add a fully saturated solution into your topoff for that; which is really easy. Kalk also helps to mantain Ca and Alk inbalance like the Ca reactor, but provides a higher pH; which offsets the low pH of the Ca reactor (i think thats right any input anyone, i forgot :wacko: ).

Edited by Fazio92

My only fear is the initial setup...I don't want something crazy happening and stressing/killing my corals..

Watching this one. Was at DDiver place yesterday his corals look awesome .But like he was saying earlier it seems the tank with reactors have a pop to them.Thanks again Billy Hope ididnt cause you to miss that coral looking at your tank.I could of stared at the corals for hours and still saw something new.

My only fear is the initial setup...I don't want something crazy happening and stressing/killing my corals..

I had that same fear, but now it's in the past and was one of the best decisions I ever made for the health and growth of my tank!!

I had that same fear, but now it's in the past and was one of the best decisions I ever made for the health and growth of my tank!!
hmmm...i guess if I take it slow there shouldn't be much to worry bout right?..also is dosing kalk required?

Watching this one. Was at DDiver place yesterday his corals look awesome .But like he was saying earlier it seems the tank with reactors have a pop to them.Thanks again Billy Hope ididnt cause you to miss that coral looking at your tank.I could of stared at the corals for hours and still saw something new.

Thanks Jim,that coral was apparntly sold the night before..

hmmm...i guess if I take it slow there shouldn't be much to worry bout right?..also is dosing kalk required?

Yeah, especially if you dont have a controller, you have to take it slow, so you dont melt away your media with too low a pH and lower the pH of your tank dramatically too. Or just have no change at all. So defintily take it slow and let everything adjust and take tests every day for the first week or so to get it dialed in. Not sure if Kalk is required, mainly to offset the low pH of effluent entering your tank, but its so simple why not just do it you know. Again just add it to your topoff. then again i have parmeters on my ACIII for that too, just incase it dumps into the tank the raises it too much, the controller will shut it off. Honestly, for me i probably wouldn't deal with all the hassel of all this equiptment as much if i didnt have the controller to keep everything in line. It's more of a fail safe thing then anything else and keeps me at ease, you know when you have thousands into something you want to take every precaution possible. that's just me though. I dont like leaving my tank for a few days without being able to check the parameters online and turn on/off things to help patch things while i'm gone. geez, now i'm starting on a whole new topic of controllers. lol. better stop now