Couple of questions.

Jason

Hey guys just a few questions.

I currently have red alg growing on top the sand and im looking for something that would take care of it as well as move the sand around to keep it clean and fresh looking. Any suggestions?

Also I have a 29 bio cube up and running with 2 false clowns and have a anemone but they wont host to it. Any suggestions on to get them to host with it? Also if for some reason they wont host with it is it possible to have 2 anemone's in the same tank? Or would I just be asking for problems?

For cleaners in a 29 gallon tank how many hermit/snails/crabs/star fish maybe to help keep things nice looking and alg pretty much free?

thanks for all the input.

-Jason

here is a picture of the current setup.

clowntank2.jpg

clowntank1.jpg

wait for your "cycle" to end, decrease bio available food in the water by increasing water changes, increasing filtration, decreasing amount fed, increase linear flow along the bottom/sand bed of your tank to prevent algae/cyano (the red stuff) from settling as well as keeping detritus suspended in the water column so your filtration can remove it

Jason's right, do all those and the light output from your night lights is inconsequential, won't impact anything ;)

Hard to tell, but is the anemone a condylactis? If so, the clowns probably won't host in it. Condy's are not good host anemones for clowns.

Hard to tell, but is the anemone a condylactis? If so, the clowns probably won't host in it. Condy's are not good host anemones for clowns.

I agree. That's a condylactis and the clowns will never host it. Your best bet, if you want to keep an anemone is to return the condy and get yourself a bubble tip.

As far as the red algae goes, it's more than likely cyanobacteria. You can get rid of it by syphoning it off the sandbed and using some Phosban or other GFO, reducing your nutrient input and increase your export with the GFO and water changes. Are you susing RO/DI water?

Is it ok to turn off ALL lighting in the tank over night or should I always run the night lights?

Yes. It's ok to turn off the night-lights (or lunar lights). The only value I give them is that it let's ME peer into the tank in the middle of the night. If you want to have them on at night, you can either put them on a timer, switch them on when you need them, or run them constantly (during the daytime lighting, they'll be drowned out by the bigger lights).

By the way, I have 2 (now mated!) false percs that host in a bubble tip anemone, and another true perc (in another tank) that hosts in a somewhat large frogspawn coral.

Edited by Origami2547

I had clowns that hosted for years in a $12 condylactus anemone I bought from Petco.

It is more unlikely that they will, but from from impossible. The nice thing about condylactus is they are much easier to keep alive than bubbles.

Good luck!

The nice thing about condylactus is they are much easier to keep alive than bubbles.

Yeah, but if you get an ill-tempered one, it will eat your fish. I had a 10" condy eat a 4" foxface. Then the condy promptly died.

Yeah, but if you get an ill-tempered one, it will eat your fish. I had a 10" condy eat a 4" foxface. Then the condy promptly died.

That is true, but a bubble will do the same thing. My bubble murdered the mandarin I had for years.

More likely with a condylactus though.

RIP

gallery_696_6_114277.jpg

That is true, but a bubble will do the same thing. My bubble murdered the mandarin I had for years.

More likely with a condylactus though.

RIP

gallery_696_6_114277.jpg

Sorry to hear about your fish. :-( Thanks everyone for the input. Ihave a diamond goby and a scooter blenny in there as well. Hope my condylactus wont eat them :-( Maybe I should turn it in. Its deff grown about twice the size it was from when it was at petco when i got it. The water I use is from the marine scene. I go there and get 5 gallon jugs when ever im down in ffx. I live up near winchester in stephens city so id like to find a good place around here if anyone knows any.

Sorry to hear about your fish. :-( Thanks everyone for the input. Ihave a diamond goby and a scooter blenny in there as well. Hope my condylactus wont eat them :-( Maybe I should turn it in. Its deff grown about twice the size it was from when it was at petco when i got it. The water I use is from the marine scene. I go there and get 5 gallon jugs when ever im down in ffx. I live up near winchester in stephens city so id like to find a good place around here if anyone knows any.

Save yourself the hassle and invest in a RO and DI system. I know it seems like a big cost, I thought the same thing, but it is well worth the investment. If you are not a full member of wamas, invest the 20 bucks(well worth it) and try checking or bulletin board for a used RO and DI system. Just not having to go to marine scene every time you want to change water, top off the system, seems like a hug plus to me.

Also what type of salt are you using? How old are the bulbs you are using? Sorry if you have already answered these questions. Plus have you checked your phosphate or nitrate level, if so what are the readings?