Jan's 3 gallon pico

Jan

I don't have a camera that takes good pics of my tanks so I'm sorry for the lousy pics. I think i've finally got this tank the way I want it..........for today anyway :lol2:

Various rics, shrooms, some zoas and softies. 2 sexy shrimp and 2 Pom pom crabs.

There's always room for more ;)

3gallonpicotope018-1.jpg

3gallonpicotope019.jpg

3gallonpicotope018-1.jpg

My green clown gobies

3gallonpicotope017-1.jpg

3gallonpicotope013.jpg

Edited by Jan

Thanks everyone. This little tank is a lot of fun! Maintenance is easy; 1 quart water change every 3-4 days.

3 g JBJ Picotope

HOB AC20 w/1/2 unit Chemi pure.

JBJ picotope HOB power filter modified into refugium

Coralife 2x18w PC's

Hydro theo 50w heater

I've ordered a Taam RIO Nano skimmer. It's on it's way. After I set up the new skimmer I'm going to convert the AC20 into a refugium.

Edited by Jan

That is amazing what you were able to do with such a small space. Great job!

Thank you. You'll recognize this new addition.

I read that "in the wild Green Clown Gobies are found in small colonies, 5-10-ish individuls living amoung the branches of Acropora coral colonies". This is why I was looking for a colony about 3-4 inches. These little guys have hardly moved since I got them. They'd just lay around. I attached the millepora acropora colony to the rocks last night and this morning these fish are in it like a clown fish in it's anemone. Amazing! It's the most movement I've seen from them since i put them in the tank. They chase each other through the branches and rub all in the milli.

3gallonpicotope028.jpg

3gallonpicotope023.jpg

I hope so. It's 36 watts at approximately 2-3 inches away in crystal clear water. I've been researching and reading what others have done with their picos. Consistently what i've seen is that people use the AC20 HOB or something very similar to it and 36w pc's. Many people who have these lights also have SPS in their picos. Of course there are plenty of others that use MH too or T5's (they don't seem to come in 12" so they use 20"). From what I've read the SPS positioned high up in the tank under a minimum of 36w pc's maintained the SPS's color and it did well. I really don't want rapid growth in a pico. Time will tell... :)

Will that light be able to support the acropora?

You will be fine with the 36w. You can always just extend the photo period if you need to. If the PAR meter is available you should get a reading to see what level of light the corals are getting.

They like cyclopeeze and frozen baby brine.

No, I haven't seen them nip at the SPS polyps. I did read that they tend to stay in the middle of a colony, which is what these two do most of the day. Also that they will pick at red bugs and AEFW and that they appear to be eating the polyps but they really aren't. We'll see. So far everyones behaving and they appear happy. :)

Tank looks great.

What do you feed the clown gobies? Have you caught them feeding or nipping on the sps polyps?

Edited by Jan

I'm on the list. I asked JM to put me on the list when I got this light :biggrin: .

You will be fine with the 36w. You can always just extend the photo period if you need to. If the PAR meter is available you should get a reading to see what level of light the corals are getting.

I've not seen that but there are MANY other examples that you can find by searching the internet. El Fab's thread isn't what I used as my "guide" just something i found and threw out to you. He's also written a thread about lighting http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1981074 where he says 36 watts is enough for some SPS. My green light was the licensed electrician who is also a marine aquarist of many years telling me it will be fine. That was as good as it gets for me. Time will tell, that and the PAR meter. Thanks for your interest.

I thought you might be talking about el fab's pico. The thing is with his is that he is not running pc's. He has a custom led retrofit.

Nice tank.

Is that a sexy shrimp I see in the second picture down?

I have seen them in stores but never had one.

David

Yes. There are 2 of them in the pico. They're very peaceful and entertaining. They move from spot to spot faster than i can see them. They also move their tails very fast from side to side when I feed them.

Nice tank.

Is that a sexy shrimp I see in the second picture down?

I have seen them in stores but never had one.

David

• 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...