Watson's 250 display build

gallery_2631519_667_5216.jpg

I wonder after the first water spill/leak.......will she still have that smile :)

I know my wife stopped smiling after she saw water coming through the kitchen ceiling.......lol.......now she just threatens me...... :laugh:

Get pics, can't wait to see more.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you planning on running LB reflectors or LUMENMAX? If LB, although i've never ran more than 1 or seen anyone try to run 2 on a 6' tank, they don't get great spread and you may want to go with 3 (also the one i'm currently running is the mini so the larges may get better spread). Someone else may have some personal experience with running multiples that can help though. And you will be able to see what mine looks like w/ 3 as well to help decide...

I actually have a single four foot pendant. I have a center brace so three lights is a no go. My tank is only five feet. Is yours six?

gotcha on the center brace issue, two larges should be fine i would just raise them up a few additional inches, say may 18-20" or so. I have my mini running at around 15" and it is too low.

pretty sure my tank is 65.5"

yea water on the floor = sh!tty day for everyone. she already experience it once when i forgot to turn the RODI off and she went into the basement found running water, DOWL! it wasn't too bad though since most of it was confined to our laundry room which has a cement floor.

yea water on the floor = sh!tty day for everyone. she already experience it once when i forgot to turn the RODI off and she went into the basement found running water, DOWL! it wasn't too bad though since most of it was confined to our laundry room which has a cement floor.

Just as long as you ruin only the basement! :tongue:

lol...yea, check this out, man was I in the dog house....plus I had to fix it....just what I wanted, more house work.

gallery_2631516_394_199210.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_22263.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Few update pics, i'm redoing the LB hanging, it's going to be adjustable between 14-20" from water surface. Also will lower down T5's to 6-8" once i get the rockwork in tank.

Also finished most of the pluming up last night, needed a few more things from lowes to finish. anyways enough useless rambling, here are a few pics.

gallery_2631519_667_544313.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_792565.jpg

Coming along nicely!! Good job. If you can, I would make sure that I can got closer than 14" from the water. At least try to have it so it can go 10". I have my 400 9" above the water and I get these PAR numbers:

1" below water surface 750

10" below water surface 500

20" at bottom 250

Ok just got down w/ water test, had to tighten up the bulkheads and add some more pvp cement to one of my fittings, water test part II coming up in an hour or so to see if everything worked. The way I have the lights set up now I can go from 1" off water to 22," that should work :lol2: :biggrin: :lol2:

I had planned on having dart and two mag 18s for return. But after firing up the dart and one of the 18s it was about as much as the overflow could handle, kina bummed about that but my switch to two 9.5's and the dart, which will be any easy fix...

Water in the tank makes me :)

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys, rock work can be frustrating! I like most of how things turnd out...sure I'll mess w/ a few pieces here and there until i'm fully happy.

yea plan to enclose everything but the 2 viewing sides. i'm pretty busy though so realistically i'm hoping to have it down by thanksgiving time. still have to get the ca and kalk reators going, been prolonging that process, maybe today if things go smoothly.

Going to put the other T5 unit back up, just had it down to make room to put rock and corals in...want to lower the LBs down a few more inches as well...

Dave I have an extra LB reflector from my old set-up :biggrin:

I applied purple primer in the PVC elbows inside of the tank and it helps to make them blend.

In you case black paint might be the way to go. Either way, it is looking fantastic and the only thing I would do is paint those so they camouflage.

Thanks for the offer, I ended up buying another LB and installed them last weekend. At what distance from the bulb to the water's surface are you going to lower yours to?

I'm at about 16" right now, may lower them down to about 14" and see if they still spread the entire tank, should but we will see...

I have seen that the mini's have a more direct doward light and need to be higher up for an even spread and for it not to look like a spotlight. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the larges...

be careful not to cook lower light corals. i am having that problem right now and have had to move several corals down. just keep an eye out. looking good so far

• 3 weeks later...
gallery_2631519_667_767534.jpg

I like the deep channel you made with the rocks. Maybe put encrusting corals on the sides rather than branching ones so it doesn't get filled in? zoas would look nice if the angel doesn't eat them.

Good job overall with the aquascape. Rik should be happy that you made his old tank look nice. You can get black PVC fittings at savko.com for the drain and returns BTW :)

• 4 weeks later...