Watson's 250 display build

ok and so the great adventure begins.

Tank pick-up date: 8/1/09

gallery_2631519_667_516289.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_1021438.jpg

Tanks after a good cleaning, sump still needs a few more, wow does that smell. faulk!!!

gallery_2631519_667_454141.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_154677.jpg

Here is where the tank is going....

gallery_2631519_667_513450.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_419669.jpg

Stand build, almost done but still some work and more support beams to close in after sump is in...

gallery_2631519_667_486948.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_146120.jpg

Amazingly this thing came out perfectly level, don't ask me how, haha... :lol2: :biggrin: :lol2:

Hope to have the tanks in the house by sunday evening but we will see...stay tuned...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't quite see how those 2x4s are positioned ... are they on top of the 4x4 or on the side? If on the side, you probably want to rework that a bit because in effect, you have all the weight of the tank hanging on the screws that are holding the 2x4 to the 4x4. Most (if not all) of the weight of the tank is on the edges, so wherever the vertical glass pieces are is where the weight will be concentrated. Also, those 4x4s are salt-treated (as they all are now) so you need to put something between them and your floor. The salt in the wood will ruin pretty much anything it touches.

Don't post pics of the sump - I can still taste it.

Those are 4x6s and they have a 1.5x1.5 notch left at top and then 2 2x4s running on top of them to the corner posts and then 1 2x4 running diagonale between 2 of the corner 4x6s so it should be good...The 2x4s you see on the outside are just to keep it solid aginst the wall studs as a peace in mind that it won't go anywhere...

As for the salt info, d@mn , haha, wonder if i can shimmy a piece of plastic tarp or something under there, would that do the trick???

As for the salt info, d@mn , haha, wonder if i can shimmy a piece of plastic tarp or something under there, would that do the trick???

That should work or Maybe some 1/4" or 1/2" plywood?

Those are 4x6s and they have a 1.5x1.5 notch left at top and then 2 2x4s running on top of them to the corner posts and then 1 2x4 running diagonale between 2 of the corner 4x6s so it should be good...The 2x4s you see on the outside are just to keep it solid aginst the wall studs as a peace in mind that it won't go anywhere...

It needs to be non-porous. Maybe some plastic glued to the bottom of a square of carpet?

If I do nothing what will it do to the carpet? Just stain it? Would it spread or stay just where the post is touching it?

I'm going to have to try and rig something up, maybe two pieces of vynle with thier backs glued and try to shimmy it under there???

Looks like its going to be an awesome build Adam. Why not tear the carpet from underneath the stand? and also are those 4 by 4's preasure treated? if so you may want to change them, i hear toxic to put inside homes.

Looks like its going to be an awesome build Adam. Why not tear the carpet from underneath the stand? and also are those 4 by 4's preasure treated? if so you may want to change them, i hear toxic to put inside homes.

Yes, they're treated. I don't believe they're toxic inside homes like they used to be (no more arsenic).

I believe it'll at least stain the carpet, but may eat through it. I'm really not certain, I just know that it will ruin the carpet.

If I do nothing what will it do to the carpet? Just stain it? Would it spread or stay just where the post is touching it?

I'm going to have to try and rig something up, maybe two pieces of vynle with thier backs glued and try to shimmy it under there???

Because it was just installed last week : ) Figured I better do it before the tank went up b/c it won't get done for a while afterwards obviously....I plan to keep it VERY clean. My 100G system in our living room is kept basically spotless. My OCD appearently has a use afterall...I wanted to lay down some sort of subfloor over the carpet but the wife didn't like any of my idea, thus stand on carpet... ;)

Also, just to cairify the 2x4s will be fine against the carpet right? It's just the 4x6s that are salt treated that is a conern right?

I was also thinking about adding a coat of deck/fence treating to the 2x4s that will be most exposed to high moisture levels and possible salt creep. Would this be pointless or does anyone do this???

the 2 by 4's should be, as far as i know from working with a few carpenters a while back, no presure treated wood is safe for inside home use due to the toxic fumes it may give out. I think varnish or water proof wood stain would be what you want to use as a sealer.

Edited by El Camaron

Looks like you're off to a great start. I was just wondering about the floor, is it a slab floor or of wood construction? I'm not sure what the load limit of your floor is, but I have seen others reinforce their floors.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

no presure treated wood is safe for inside home use due to the toxic fumes it may give out.

Well then I think we're all going to be mutants. EVERY house has pressure treated wood in it.........any wood touching concrete or dirt has to be pressure treated by code.

I would worry more about the mold from the PT wood. PT wood shouldn't be painted or stained for at least 6 months to give it a chance to dry. Is there no way to move the stand......or easily take it apart? You could just cut a piece of plywood to the measurements of the stand bottom and set the whole stand on top of it.

Basement floor is cement based...

I was able to shimmy some vynle under the salt treated beams, hopefully this will help...was hoping to get the tanks inside today but it doesn't look like that is going to happen...few updated pics...

gallery_2631519_667_524670.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_340102.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_152039.jpg

Tank on stand and in house 8/15/09

Build a ramp which made the move through the doorway very easy...nothing like getting it out Riks, lol, sorry dave...haha

gallery_2631519_667_22986.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_3500.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_2601.jpg

and the cerimonial body in tank shots...

gallery_2631519_667_4300.jpg

gallery_2631519_667_5216.jpg

Getting pretty far along with the planning, hope this beast will be wet by the end of the month...

yea the depth was definately why i sprung on this one, i absolutely love the dimentions, i'll have to get a few good shots from another angle but when you come into the basement the 3' side is facing you and looks like a big tank in its self : )

Wow, I decided to go with just two 400w halides. I plan on running a 250 over the frag tank.

Are you planning on running LB reflectors or LUMENMAX? If LB, although i've never ran more than 1 or seen anyone try to run 2 on a 6' tank, they don't get great spread and you may want to go with 3 (also the one i'm currently running is the mini so the larges may get better spread). Someone else may have some personal experience with running multiples that can help though. And you will be able to see what mine looks like w/ 3 as well to help decide...

gallery_2631519_667_5216.jpg

Getting pretty far along with the planning, hope this beast will be wet by the end of the month...

Congrats Adam, i am digging the family protrait lol. Your puppy looks like one of my min pins except with shorter legs.