Auto Top Off Questions

epleeds

Since there has not been a post about this in over a year, I was wondering if there is any opinions of people with the $195 Tunze unit. Is there anything better on the market that doesnt cost as much.

thks

I run a Tsnuami Top off with a small rio pump. I bought it back in 2005 from Marine Scene for $90+, but I found it here on aquacave for $60 (http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=254). You'll have to buy a pump separately, but that still puts you around or under $100. I haven't had one single issue with it in five years, and have done zero maintenance. It runs well, and is accurate. All I could ask for from a top-off device.

Jon

Edited by amos

I paid around 15$ for my top off system, that is if you dont mind DIY. Total included switch, cord, small pump and tubing. Unfortunatly I cant find the website where I bought the switches from, but I got 2 for under 10$ shipped. Here is an example from E-bay Float Sensor The cord was nothing special only a reg extention cord, that I spliced the switch into. Pump was just a small fountain pump I got a lowes for $10. I mounted the float sensor to a piece of angled acrylic in my sump.

Its been running great for almost 4 years now.

I got the DIY unit from Bulk Reef Supply. It was easy to put together and is doing a great job. Not sure about the Tunze or other units, but I'm confident in the unit I procured. And it was much cheaper!

I got the DIY unit from Bulk Reef Supply. It was easy to put together and is doing a great job. Not sure about the Tunze or other units, but I'm confident in the unit I procured. And it was much cheaper!

Is this the one you got? Top-it-OFF

I was thinking about ordering one.

The Tunze is a great product, you will be very happy with it's performance. It keeps the water at an exact level, it doses small amounts of water, perfect for using with a kalk stirrer.

Edited by overklok

Tunze osmolator has yet to fail in all the years they have been on my systems.

Friends have blamed, snails, algae, low quality check valves, power outages, and so many other issues I can no longer count...yet my numerous float+optical interrupts have yet to fail to maintain top of in years.

Lots of things work for days, weeks, months, and even years, but one top off system is engineered to overcome the indiscriminant deployment of reefers: Tunze. The alternatives are merely waiting for an excuse and reefers justification for failure vs expenditure.