Video Surveilling Fish Tanks

Nate

So I had this Idea of setting up a few cameras to watch over the tanks while I am away. Has anyone actually done this before. I was looking for a system that doesn't require a computer. I thought I saw something on TV that only needs a wi-fi connection and transmits over the internet. So you can log in from any computer and view whats happening. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

You can see these on youtube. I met someone at a LFS that showed me his tank live on his Iphone. He was completely automated to the tune of $20,000.00.

So I had this Idea of setting up a few cameras to watch over the tanks while I am away. Has anyone actually done this before. I was looking for a system that doesn't require a computer. I thought I saw something on TV that only needs a wi-fi connection and transmits over the internet. So you can log in from any computer and view whats happening. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

You can see these on youtube. I met someone at a LFS that showed me his tank live on his Iphone. He was completely automated to the tune of $20,000.00.

Ummmm yeah...$20,000 is a little out of my price range Jan. Neat idea but seriously that is so much money. I was thinking I would just monitor the cams and if anything seems like it needs attention I would just call the babysitter (a fellow reefer). The problem is that every camera system I have seen needs to be hooked up to a computer. I want something that will not require my computer be on the entire time I am gone.

Ummmm yeah...$20,000 is a little out of my price range Jan. Neat idea but seriously that is so much money. I was thinking I would just monitor the cams and if anything seems like it needs attention I would just call the babysitter (a fellow reefer). The problem is that every camera system I have seen needs to be hooked up to a computer. I want something that will not require my computer be on the entire time I am gone.

Nate, that was one very extreme example...youtube has what you're talking about and the more expensive ones. You should be able to see many options there.

I want a decent camera for my tanks that WILL work with the computer on. Would like remote control of direction, zoom, auto-focus or remotely manual focus. Wireless.

Any suggestions?? I did research about a year or so ago, and didn't find anything that made me happy for any kind of a reasonable price.

Not sure how you could get one to work without your computer; it would have to have a basic computer built in - something that could do the video processing, connect wireless to your router and out to the internet.

bob

easy breezy - I mainly have done broadcast video but just started with IP cameras and the best one for this application is the Axis wireless camera - should be around $200 but high quality - provides a webpage stream of the video you can see anywhere IF you give it a fully routable IP address - IE - you might need to ask your ISP for a real IP so you can see it from work/iphone etc.

I plan to do the same thing - you can also add serial triggers to some models (water overflow probe/controller alarm outputs/etc) and others have pan/zoom/HD and motion detection/recording.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_m1011w/index.htm

NOW you got me thinking!!!!

I want a decent camera for my tanks that WILL work with the computer on. Would like remote control of direction, zoom, auto-focus or remotely manual focus. Wireless.

Any suggestions?? I did research about a year or so ago, and didn't find anything that made me happy for any kind of a reasonable price.

Not sure how you could get one to work without your computer; it would have to have a basic computer built in - something that could do the video processing, connect wireless to your router and out to the internet.

bob

I can't find it now, but I came across a tank on RC once that had a camera inside the center of his tank in a dome, and you could control it from the website application, and move it around, zoom in and out, etc. Was super cool. Wish I could find it, but not having any luck.

I used to have this on my tank (minus the zoom)... I still have the camera, and I'd consider selling it...

This is the current model of the camer (I have a previous one)...

Wireless IP & direction controllable.

Dave

One of my friends has a video surveillence camera for vacation. He uses a USB rocket launcher that is controllable from the iphone and removed the rocket launcher part and replaced with a computer video camera. I think he did it all for less than $100.

I'll find out more info and post it.

Here you go Nate. Read about TankedCam.

http://www.aquaristsonline.com/blog/aquari...ium-monitoring/

Jan, that is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Did you go to the website and try it out?

LOL, No way! I'm so not there yet. I'm still trying to figure out what kelvin of MH's to get, how to figure out dosing, when to dose, why I've not needed to dose and how to set up my top off. :wacko: Then when I have it all figured out and have he $$ for a vacation I'll look for monitoring devices, maybe..

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up what I'm hoping is a great deal on RC... it's an X10 system which I've heard pretty good reviews about... original thread to the post on RC below and it even came with the power automatition kit:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...p;highlight=x10

The link for the X10 system is here: http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx11a_wirele...e_burst.html?QL

so it may be a cheaper altternative to some other systems. Hopefully, I get the items soon and hook it up and put a review together.

He he he, there are some deals in there but that front page (www.x10.com) looks like a voyeurism tools of the trade supermarket!!! LOL

What is up with all the bikini girls!! LOL :smokin:

I picked up what I'm hoping is a great deal on RC... it's an X10 system which I've heard pretty good reviews about... original thread to the post on RC below and it even came with the power automatition kit:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...p;highlight=x10

The link for the X10 system is here: http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx11a_wirele...e_burst.html?QL

so it may be a cheaper altternative to some other systems. Hopefully, I get the items soon and hook it up and put a review together.

I have an OLDER (4-5 years ago) X-10 video camera - and it ain't worth a darn... No better than what you would see through a nail hole into the girls locker room! :) Will be looking forward to YOUR review!

bob