moisture from tank

i realize it's summer... but what does everyone do about the moisture that accumilates in the room that their tanks are in? I have a 150 gallon in the basement... most of the time is cooler then the rest of the house... now, everytime i walk in there... it's almost as if I had just mopped the tile floor. I was thinking about getting a dehumidifier, but concerned that it would make my water evaporation on the tank fast.

any suggestions?

(edited)

You can get some DampRid and put it in a couple of small plastic containers to see if that is enough to lower the humidity.

Otherwise, you can adjust the dehumidifier so it won't affect your evaporation.

Edited by Boret

I have a dehumidifier... There really isn't any reason that it will speed up evaporation unless we're talking some serious humidity. For me, it's obvious whether or not the dehumidifier has been on when I walk into the room due to the humidity difference.

You can get some "DampRid" and put it in a couple of small plastic containers to see if that is enough to lower the humidity.

Otherwise, you can adjust the dehumidifier so it won't affect your evaporation.

The good thing about "DampRid" is it is made of the same stuff as DowFlake or Turbo Calcium. Just dump it into your tank when you need to raise the calcium levels.

http://www.damprid.com/downloads/2008MSDSCalcium.pdf

Calcium chloride 79.0 -85.0 %

Sodium chloride 1.0 -2.0 %

Potassium chloride 2.0 -3.0 %

The good thing about "DampRid" is it is made of the same stuff as DowFlake or Turbo Calcium. Just dump it into your tank when you need to raise the calcium levels.

http://www.damprid.com/downloads/2008MSDSCalcium.pdf

Calcium chloride 79.0 -85.0 %

Sodium chloride 1.0 -2.0 %

Potassium chloride 2.0 -3.0 %

Really??? No other trace elements? Reef Safe?

okay... i'm stumped... i viewed the video on DampRid and still no idea how this would work... maybe i'll just get one and see...

They are just little white pellets that absorb humidity. Eventually all the pellets disappear and what you have left is a container filled with water that you can discard.

I have a dehumidifier... There really isn't any reason that it will speed up evaporation unless we're talking some serious humidity.

Wrong again.

A dehumidifier removes moisture from the air. The usual technique used to remove the moisture is to condense the moisture onto a cold surface. In other words the water that is in the sump will stay in the sump provided the room and water temp are with in range and not being blown all around by fans.

Anyone who has poured a cold glass of iced tea on a hot, humid summer day knows that moisture will condense on the glass. When air cools, it loses its ability to hold moisture; in the case of the cold glass, the moisture in the air condenses right onto the glass. If the glass is left on a table long enough and if the air is very humid, a significant puddle of water can form.

A dehumidifier is simply an air conditioner that has both its hot and cold coils in the same box. A fan draws the room's air over the cold coil of the air conditioner to condense the moisture (which normally drips into a bucket). The dry air then passes through the hot coil to heat it back up to its original temperature. That's all there is to it!

(edited)
Wrong again.

A dehumidifier removes moisture from the air. The usual technique used to remove the moisture is to condense the moisture onto a cold surface. In other words the water that is in the sump will stay in the sump provided the room and water temp are with in range and not being blown all around by fans.

Anyone who has poured a cold glass of iced tea on a hot, humid summer day knows that moisture will condense on the glass. When air cools, it loses its ability to hold moisture; in the case of the cold glass, the moisture in the air condenses right onto the glass. If the glass is left on a table long enough and if the air is very humid, a significant puddle of water can form.

A dehumidifier is simply an air conditioner that has both its hot and cold coils in the same box. A fan draws the room's air over the cold coil of the air conditioner to condense the moisture (which normally drips into a bucket). The dry air then passes through the hot coil to heat it back up to its original temperature. That's all there is to it!

I've reread your post three times now... I know what a dehumidifier is and how it works, however I don't understand where exactly your point is that dehumidifier will speed up evaporation in a tank. I may be wrong, I was just using logic, however even if it does speed up evaporation in the tank, it takes enough humidity out of the air that the new evaporation isn't noticed...

Edited by L8 2 RISE

My point is that it does not matter how much humidity is in the room, the dehumidifier is only pulling moisture from the air and will not cause more evaporation in the sump it's self. The way I read your post to the original question is that his evaporation rate would increase if the room had a "serious humidity" level which is not the case at all.

If that's not what you were saying, then I interpreted you're response incorrectly.

My attempt at sarcasm... :rollface: If the air were so saturated with water that no water could evaporate from the tank at all, so basically under water :lol2:

i realize it's summer... but what does everyone do about the moisture that accumilates in the room that their tanks are in? I have a 150 gallon in the basement... most of the time is cooler then the rest of the house... now, everytime i walk in there... it's almost as if I had just mopped the tile floor. I was thinking about getting a dehumidifier, but concerned that it would make my water evaporation on the tank fast.

any suggestions?

Carpet the floor. LOL.

Really, though. I'm not convinced that spot-checking with damp-rid is a viable long term solution given your evaporation rate. Your floor is already acting partially like the dehumidifier that's being discussed. That is, it's acting like the cool coils and resulting in some amount of condensation. Now, having been in your basement, it could be that there's actually just a little bit of moisture on the floor, but because of the nature of the tile (smooth and cool), it may feel much worse than it really is.

The problem may be aggravated by an imbalance in your central air. From your description of the comparative coolness of the basement, you may be pumping more cool air into the basement than into the upper floors (where your thermostat is probably located). Rebalancing your airflow by cutting back on the air into the basement may help to warm the floor up just a bit - enough to keep the moisture in the air just a little bit longer. That's not the end of it, though. You still want to remove the water from the air.

Your air conditioner should be able to remove the moisture that you're losing - I think it's about a 1 to 1-1/2 gallons a day, right? Note that you should have an air return in the basement for your central AC. In fact, you might even have one on every level of the TH. In my home and most homes I've been in, they're a somewhat large grate on a wall somewhere near the main air duct which is normally closely aligned (vertically) with the inside air handler. One thing you might try - and Mark can check me on this - is to rebalance the return so you're returning air preferentially from the basement (I've done this at times by partially blocking the returns on upper floors). This should get some of that damp, basement air over to the coils of your central AC where the water can be squeezed out.

My attempt at sarcasm... :rollface: If the air were so saturated with water that no water could evaporate from the tank at all, so basically under water :lol2:

Sam, since the floor is acting already somewhat as a dehumidifier, the air around the tank is not saturated with water. The effect would help to maintain the differential between the tank and the air, allowing additional evaporation. I don't think Steve's situation is anywhere near the limiting condition (saturation) where a dehumidifier would increase the rate of evaporation in any significant way. While there might be some effect, I don't think it's going to be substantial.

I was replacing 3 1/2 gals a day with evaporation during the summer as I was using a fan - thought this was great (lots of Ca added via Kalk) until we realized all this humidity was going into, and staying in, the attic. not good for the house. Now I cover the tank, reduced to the evaporation to ~ 3/4 gal a day, but of course this required buying a chiller. I know it's expensive, but for me it was worth it not having to worry about destroying the roof/ceiling/having mold. just my experience. David

(edited)

I was having the same problem in my garage where my sump is. Lately I would crack open the garage door or open it all the way. I have my chiller running and the humidity has been low I guess because the water temp has remained normal and consistent.

Edited by queloque

One thing you might try - and Mark can check me on this - is to rebalance the return so you're returning air preferentially from the basement (I've done this at times by partially blocking the returns on upper floors). This should get some of that damp, basement air over to the coils of your central AC where the water can be squeezed out.

That is great advice, in fact the best way to do it somewhat naturally. Just be sure to check the condensate over flow line to be free and clear of dirt and dust. Those back up quite often.

My question would be though why do you have so much moisture to begin with? Typically with basements the #1 problem is moisture coming in through the foundation walls. More times that not this can be easily fixed by making sure your soil grade falls away from the exterior walls 1/4 inch per foot at least four feet away from finished walls, in fact that is building code pretty much nationally. Some areas even require a French drain, but that a whole other topic...

That is great advice, in fact the best way to do it somewhat naturally. Just be sure to check the condensate over flow line to be free and clear of dirt and dust. Those back up quite often.

My question would be though why do you have so much moisture to begin with? Typically with basements the #1 problem is moisture coming in through the foundation walls. More times that not this can be easily fixed by making sure your soil grade falls away from the exterior walls 1/4 inch per foot at least four feet away from finished walls, in fact that is building code pretty much nationally. Some areas even require a French drain, but that a whole other topic...

not sure on this... i know that prior to placing the tank in the basement, I had no issues with moisture.

Carpet the floor. LOL.

Really, though. I'm not convinced that spot-checking with damp-rid is a viable long term solution given your evaporation rate. Your floor is already acting partially like the dehumidifier that's being discussed. That is, it's acting like the cool coils and resulting in some amount of condensation. Now, having been in your basement, it could be that there's actually just a little bit of moisture on the floor, but because of the nature of the tile (smooth and cool), it may feel much worse than it really is.

The problem may be aggravated by an imbalance in your central air. From your description of the comparative coolness of the basement, you may be pumping more cool air into the basement than into the upper floors (where your thermostat is probably located). Rebalancing your airflow by cutting back on the air into the basement may help to warm the floor up just a bit - enough to keep the moisture in the air just a little bit longer. That's not the end of it, though. You still want to remove the water from the air.

Your air conditioner should be able to remove the moisture that you're losing - I think it's about a 1 to 1-1/2 gallons a day, right? Note that you should have an air return in the basement for your central AC. In fact, you might even have one on every level of the TH. In my home and most homes I've been in, they're a somewhat large grate on a wall somewhere near the main air duct which is normally closely aligned (vertically) with the inside air handler. One thing you might try - and Mark can check me on this - is to rebalance the return so you're returning air preferentially from the basement (I've done this at times by partially blocking the returns on upper floors). This should get some of that damp, basement air over to the coils of your central AC where the water can be squeezed out.

wow... leave it up to you Tom to write this in a way that I had to google 80% of the it just to understand ...lol.

I'll give this a try this weekend to see if it helps. In the meantime, would you suggest I get a small dehumidier to see who it does as well?

If you can redirect the air like he explains, do that first. A dehu is basically the same thing as the A-Coil in your air master handling system.

:cough:

I'd be happy to stop out one day when I am in the area to try and resolve, or figure out what your problem is.

Just PM me your info.

Mark

Sam, since the floor is acting already somewhat as a dehumidifier, the air around the tank is not saturated with water. The effect would help to maintain the differential between the tank and the air, allowing additional evaporation. I don't think Steve's situation is anywhere near the limiting condition (saturation) where a dehumidifier would increase the rate of evaporation in any significant way. While there might be some effect, I don't think it's going to be substantial.

ok... I get it... don't use sarcasm when typing... My bad, I should have known better... my point was that it wouldn't make sense for a dehumidifier to cause any more evaporation...

My bad and I'm sorry.

Question- assuming that the collection container is clean, could you take the water out of the dehumidifier and add it back to the tank? Does the metal condenser plate add unsafe trace elements?

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I just recently bought a house that has plaster walls, with my tank being open top I have noticed more moisture build up. I have a couple of windows cracked and a ceiling fan running to help move the air around. I do not have central AC and have baseboard heat. I notice the moisture build up more so in the evening's and can see moisture on the windows in the morning. I moved my dehumi upstairs and It doesnt seem to help.

Any other suggestions?

Ok, so I just recently bought a house that has plaster walls, with my tank being open top I have noticed more moisture build up. I have a couple of windows cracked and a ceiling fan running to help move the air around. I do not have central AC and have baseboard heat. I notice the moisture build up more so in the evening's and can see moisture on the windows in the morning. I moved my dehumi upstairs and It doesnt seem to help.

Any other suggestions?

I installed bathroom exhaust fans over the tank and ran ducts to the outside to carry the moist air. I have the fans turn on when the lights come on and turn off when the lights go off - I figure when the lights are on the air is warm and moist and that's when there will be the most evaporation and I most need the air carried outside.

You need one of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...rd=dehumidifier

The good news is that in a couple of weeks as highs drop into the 30's, you will be thankful for the extra mosture produced by the tank.

Any other suggestions?

I installed bathroom exhaust fans over the tank and ran ducts to the outside to carry the moist air. I have the fans turn on when the lights come on and turn off when the lights go off - I figure when the lights are on the air is warm and moist and that's when there will be the most evaporation and I most need the air carried outside.

thats a good idea.

You need one of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...rd=dehumidifier

The good news is that in a couple of weeks as highs drop into the 30's, you will be thankful for the extra mosture produced by the tank.

I have one, but looks like it may be out of freon. And yes im well aware as my last house was extremely dry.