Phymanthus Buitendijki aka Borneman anemone

Jan

I've had one of these for a few years now. I got it when it was tiny from a local shop that had no clue what it was. I'll admit I didn't know what it was for the longest time. That link tells you where the originate. They'll eat just about anything. Mine has eaten pellets, flake, Rod's Food, cut up shrimp, fish, scallop, and clam. It seems pretty open to just about anything. For the longest time mine stayed on the sand bed. That is until it got tired of being buried by the pistol shrimp and moved to the rocks. It still has its foot anchored in the sand but is stretching up through a crack in the rock for light. Never had any of my clowns host in it but the sexy shrimp will stop in it for a few minutes. Overall it's been a easy to care for anemone that's been a pretty good citizen in my tanks through the upgrades.

I've had one of these for a few years now. I got it when it was tiny from a local shop that had no clue what it was. I'll admit I didn't know what it was for the longest time. That link tells you where the originate. They'll eat just about anything. Mine has eaten pellets, flake, Rod's Food, cut up shrimp, fish, scallop, and clam. It seems pretty open to just about anything. For the longest time mine stayed on the sand bed. That is until it got tired of being buried by the pistol shrimp and moved to the rocks. It still has its foot anchored in the sand but is stretching up through a crack in the rock for light. Never had any of my clowns host in it but the sexy shrimp will stop in it for a few minutes. Overall it's been a easy to care for anemone that's been a pretty good citizen in my tanks through the upgrades.

Thank you! I've got one that buried itself in a hole in a rock in my 24 gallon. I'm thinking that perhaps something bothered it. The other two are in my pico tank. They would not stay on the sand bed. One crawled ontop of a rock and the other crawled behind it. My sexy shrimp practically live in them.

(edited)

Are you sure that they aren't flower anemones? They are pretty common and look identical to that picture and come in a variety of colors.

Here's the latin name: Epicystis crucifer.

Edited by zygote2k

I've got 3 of these little beauties and I can't find any information on them in English. I'd like to know where they're from, what they eat, how to care for them, etc.. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pic in url..

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

How do you know that they are Borneman Anemones? Where di you purchase them? I think that they are kind of rare. I'd also like to think that what you really have is a rock anemone or flower anemone.

Maybe if you could post a picture of yours...

How do you know that they are Borneman Anemones? Where di you purchase them? I think that they are kind of rare. I'd also like to think that what you really have is a rock anemone or flower anemone.

Maybe if you could post a picture of yours...

Everything I have read ponts to them just being a common hitchhicker. There not a pest and and don't spread like pest they do have some nice colors and will clone them selves.

I took a picture but I can't upload it into my albums. Does anyone know why? I keep geting an error message. It says to contact the administrator.

It's probably too big. I would really suggest you get a photobucket- SO much easier.

Well, I got photobucket and it's still not working. I don't understand why this is happening. I've uploaded pictures to my gallery before without any problems.

Where did you get them?

PM sent in response. My apologies for a response that may have sounded curt. It wasn't meant to be curt.

since it was from a wamas member its a good chance it is a borneman...looking at the picture it IS a borneman.... i have 2 had more but gave some away. not a fish eater and the shrimp love to hang around it. under the right lights the colors around the mouth are very nice and have a cool design. mine have cloned themselves several times and even el presidente himself (gatortailale) has several...or has had several. i think they came about in this group from micheal gerdes who is a friend of borneman and one of the founding members of this club.

since it was from a wamas member its a good chance it is a borneman...looking at the picture it IS a borneman.... i have 2 had more but gave some away. not a fish eater and the shrimp love to hang around it. under the right lights the colors around the mouth are very nice and have a cool design. mine have cloned themselves several times and even el presidente himself (gatortailale) has several...or has had several. i think they came about in this group from micheal gerdes who is a friend of borneman and one of the founding members of this club.

Are they fairly hardy?

(edited)
Are they fairly hardy?

very hardy. they can take all kinds of light and i never feed mine and they still clone. mine even lived trough a tank crash which wiped out all my fish and my rbta(that i had in that tank.)

feed it a few times just to watch it. sometimes they shrink up or stretch out like their doing weird things and once they find their right spot for light they stay put...usually. IME they never stung any coral or anything.

Edited by GaryL

Great! Thank you for the information. I'm really happy with them so far. I love how the sexy shrimp hang out in them.

very hardy. they can take all kinds of light and i never feed mine and they still clone. mine even lived trough a tank crash which wiped out all my fish and my rbta(that i had in that tank.)

feed it a few times just to watch it. sometimes they shrink up or stretch out like their doing weird things and once they find their right spot for light they stay put...usually. IME they never stung any coral or anything.

Jan, Should these clone again and you are willing to spread the line..... I am very interested in purchase. Please keep me in mind. These little guys look interesting to me and I wouldnt mind trying to grow. Thanks much Bob

I am very interested Please keep me in mind.

You've got it. I'll definately let you know. They are nice.

(edited)

From Eric Borneman himself with links to previous WAMAS discussion on this anemone.

http://www.sareefkeeping.com/forum/showthread.php?p=330428

"

Originally Posted by Eric Borneman viewpost.gif That's too funny. In the states, it's often called the "Borneman anemone." I got it as a hitchiker in the mid 1990s and friends have taken them and spread them across the US. The reason it got that name had nothing to do with me...I never knew what it was either and couldn't get and ID, and as more people got it (it forms pedal lacerates, but not in a pest like way), the name stuck. Do an advanced google search using the exact phrase "borneman anemone."

Here's but a couple links

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic72...rneman+anemone

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23...rneman+anemone

Since then, I found a tentative ID...Phymanthus buitendijki and have seen it in Europe now, too.Thanks Eric! It is without a doubt a Phymanthus Buitendijki! Thanks for helping me identify this anemone."

Search long enough and you'll find :)

Edited by Jan

(edited)

Thanks Jan -

To echo what Gary said, I got one of these from Michael Gerdes about 4-5 years ago (who most likely got it from Eric), and it has formed multiple clones over the years - maybe a dozen or more. Feed it, and it will multiply. And, it is very tolerant of multiple conditions - from MH lighting to normal output. I had two living in the sump for a while, under a spotlight that grows chaeto, b/c I didn't have a good place for them in the display. I finally gave them to a friend who has them in her mantis tank under normal fluorescents.

I tried for a while to find a species ID on it and couldn't - I finally gave up. Thanks Jan.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte