How many of you guys (and gals) use a refractometer?

miniflea

I'm pretty new (two month old tank, everything doing well so far) and all I have is the standard swing arm hydrometer. I know eventually I'll buy one, but for now I'm set with what I've got. It probably helps that I'm sticking to easier fish and softies.

I assume most people here are pretty hardcore and use them, but my question is, how far along were you when you bought it?

I'm pretty new (two month old tank, everything doing well so far) and all I have is the standard swing arm hydrometer. I know eventually I'll buy one, but for now I'm set with what I've got. It probably helps that I'm sticking to easier fish and softies.

I assume most people here are pretty hardcore and use them, but my question is, how far along were you when you bought it?

I bought my right away and I check the calibration once a month

Bought mine right away too. I tried the float type and swing arm in the beginning....salinity was all over the place.

(edited)

This is embarassing. I had never even heard of them until like 13 years after starting saltwater, due to knowing no one else with a saltwater tank... one of the many things I discoered after joining WAMAS. I have one now and would never rely on a hydrometer again. I have had various hydrometers and you can't buy two and excpect both to give the same measurement. I had one that started out accurate (compared to the refractometer), but gradually became inaccurate.

If you are using a swing-arm you can "calibrate" it by comparing to a refractometer reading and putting your own marks with a fine-line permanent marker. Make sure you rinse it out after every use - the salt build-up is part of what makes them become inaccurate.

I love having a refractometer. They are relatively inexpensive and well worth the money. If you can get enough people together, perhaps you coiuld do a group buy to get a good price, which is how some of use got ours.

Editing to leave in all my typos - so many it's a good laugh to see.

Edited by treesprite

The Refractrometer is worth every penny I used a swing style arm for awhile until I borrowed a friend of mines. I could not believe how inaccurate the swing are was and I always washed my swing arm and let it sit upside down in my sink to dry as to no build up salt.

If you are using a swing-arm you can "calibrate" it by comparing to a refractometer reading and putting your own marks with a fine-line permanent marker. Make sure you rinse it out after every use - the salt build-up is part of what makes them become inaccurate.

I do rinse it out every time, and I always get a reading when its full of freshwater. So far its always on zero, but I'm not sure if that means much, especially if the results skew lower than they should.

I didn't buy one for quite a long time. Then after I did, I found out that my swing-arm was reading very low. 1.025 was actually 1.031.

bob

I purchased a refractometer earlier this year after close to 5 years in the hobby using a hydrometer. To be honest, it was more of a "piece of mind" purchase than anything. I was aware of the horrible reputation of hydrometers, so rather than counting on the reading of the swing arm, I just took a reading of the water in the tank first, and made sure my change water read the same. Occasionally, I would have somebody test my water to make sure it was within normal parameters. I've done weekly water changes for years and never had any problems. I even sometimes just use the hydrometer because its a little quicker.

Jon

I inject the water straight into my veins. I can tell the salinity by the number of twitches...HARDCORE!!!RAWR.

I inject the water straight into my veins. I can tell the salinity by the number of twitches...HARDCORE!!!RAWR.

The problem with that, is that you would have to always have the same level of water and salt in your body before you do the test each time, which would be very hard to accomplish, and there may be extraneous factors involved in the twitching at any given time.

(edited)

lol...only you would say that :rolleyes:

Edited by Vader