Suitability of cleaner wrasses - you guy's opinions?

miniflea

Been wondering about this, and thought I'd ask you more experienced and wiser than I people this. In Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" he vehemently opposes keeping cleaner wrasses in aquariums. I've read numerous other books that say, at the most, that they can be difficult feeders sometimes. There's even a photo in Micheal Paletta's excellent (and very helpful to me personally setting up my tank) "The New Marine Aquarium" which shows a cleaner wrasse in one of his personal tanks. And I've read on online forums that people get them to accept prepared foods.

Whats the general consensus? Are they difficult but doable fish, or are they a tiny blue striped moorish idol as Fenner seems to say?

/Whew, first post. Love to death my yellow watchman goby and two clowns!

//Saltwater newbie

I would only buy one that has been at the LFS for a very long time and it is eating prepared foods. Or better yet, buy it from a local reefer who has had it for awhile. I have tried real hard twice to keep one in the last year and both starve to death in about two months. I will not be trying again.

I can never keep one alive, but I have a friend who keeps a trigger tank, one has been living in there for about 7 months. He has had his tail bit off a few times, but seems to be thriving. I am surprised he has lasted this long he eats prepared food and cleans the triggers. The triggers seems to have a love/hate relationship with the wrasse, resulting in behavior that alternates between lining up for cleanings and attempts to kill him!!!

I have a pair, 1 is 4 years old the other is 3 years old. You need a big tank and alot of fish for them but they eat everything. Don't try putting them in a tank less then 100g with a few fish. IME they are a very easy fish to keep.

George

I have a pair, 1 is 4 years old the other is 3 years old. You need a big tank and alot of fish for them but they eat everything. Don't try putting them in a tank less then 100g with a few fish. IME they are a very easy fish to keep.

George

Couldn't agree more. I have had great luck with mine, and they do a great job cleaning other fish. Mine will eat flake but prefers nori to anything else.

Interesting contrast in opinions. Aren't there some cleaner gobies that will do what the cleaner wrasse would do?

Supposedly the Neon Gobies do cleaning and have a better chance of survival.

I had a cleaner but he starved to death. Would not take any food and kept trying to clean the other fishes. He spooked every fish he tried but eventually the foxfax gave in for the most part. I would get one again but I would make sure he's eating food before I do so.

If it is cleaning of fish you are interested in. I have a good experience in a cleaner shrimp.

Just ask my Hippo who had ich before the cleaner shrimp was introduced :lol2:

gallery_290_532_12329.jpg

That hippo looks almost like he's smiling :)

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to see the same kind of polar opposite opinions here that I've seen elsewhere. I know there are a few (three?) separate species of cleaner wrasse, and also some very similar looking goby species, I wonder if this has anything to do with reports of success? Perhaps not, though, as I have read accounts of moorish idols who will eat anything and have lived for years. Could be normal variation.

I've seen those cleaner shrimp in stores before, but didn't know they could clean off ich parasites, very interesting.

I have had one in my tank for 4-6 months now. I have a 220 gallon tank with 20+ fish. I dont notice him eating flake but he is constantly in the hunt looking for something to eat.

(edited)

You can only go by personal experience. Unfortunately until that happens you must rely on others opinions. Some here do tend to offer theirs quite often without any personal experience what so ever. Definitely get one that is eating prepared foods and you should be fine. I have kept one alive for three years in a 55g. It ate pellets, nori and anything else that was fed. It did not die from lack of nutrition. However it did become nutrition for a new addition, sadly. They do tend to irritate fish after after awhile and can cause problems as they dig into and consume scales. Bluestreaks tend to do better than others. A good rule to go by is don't believe everything you read.

Edited by audible

Mine eats like a pig - pretty much anything I feed it - haven't watched when I have fed flake though, I'll have to see next time....

He is always trying to chill with my Purple tang too.....

You can only go by personal experience. Unfortunately until that happens you must rely on others opinions. Some here do tend to offer theirs quite often without any personal experience what so ever. Definitely get one that is eating prepared foods and you should be fine. I have kept one alive for three years in a 55g. It ate pellets, nori and anything else that was fed. It did not die from lack of nutrition. However it did become nutrition for a new addition, sadly. They do tend to irritate fish after after awhile and can cause problems as they dig into and consume scales. Bluestreaks tend to do better than others. A good rule to go by is don't believe everything you read.

So how do you make that distinction? :)

I have a red sea cleaner and it's done very well. Eats anything I feed everyone else, including nori off a slick. Some say they feed on coral polyps as adults but I do not know how old mine was when I got it or at what age they are cinsidered adults.

I have not seen it eat any but I'm not able to watch my tank constantly so it might sneak a polyp or two in when I'm not looking. I believe they would not be eating polyps but more like picking say red bugs, flat worms or simply mucus from the coral.

So how do you make that distinction? :)

I have a red sea cleaner and it's done very well. Eats anything I feed everyone else, including nori off a slick. Some say they feed on coral polyps as adults but I do not know how old mine was when I got it or at what age they are cinsidered adults.

I have not seen it eat any but I'm not able to watch my tank constantly so it might sneak a polyp or two in when I'm not looking. I believe they would not be eating polyps but more like picking say red bugs, flat worms or simply mucus from the coral.

Through personal experience of course. ;)

That's cool yours is doing well. I wouldn't be happy about any fish picking at my corals as it stresses the corals out. You should try to get it on pellets. They will take to the smaller pellets. Mine would annoy me because he always chewed through the nori right at the clip causing it to float away. Lol.

Through personal experience of course. ;)

That's cool yours is doing well. I wouldn't be happy about any fish picking at my corals as it stresses the corals out. You should try to get it on pellets. They will take to the smaller pellets. Mine would annoy me because he always chewed through the nori right at the clip causing it to float away. Lol.

I have not seen it picking at the coraols, YET, but I have not turned my back on the tank and then turned back around really fast yet so it might be happening.

I now wrap the nori around a 1" pvc pipe fitting with a rubber band and hang it via fish line in the tank.

(Saw the idea at Leishmans house if it lends it any credibility with you, :biggrin: )

All fish, including the RSCW, pick at it and it does not float away.

Anyone in the Leesburg area able to go confirm this?

sounds fishy

Don't know about the flake food, but had my arm in hunter's tank on Sat, and it was eagerly picking the hairs off my arm.

I think healthy captive cleaner's are the exception to the rule, but with the large tank hunter has, it works out it seems.

I'm sad to say that my cleaner jumped the other night after a year and a half in my care. Found it maybe 15-20 minutes after it jumped, it almost seemed "fresh" enough to revive. Not sure what got into it but it is now anemone chow. It ate everything, flake, pellets, pods, arm hair. I won't buy another though, I got this one from a WAMAS member getting out of the hobby in Dec 07. I do not think they are suitable in anything less than ~250 gal, and obviously with a lid.

I had good luck with mine cleaner until last week when he decided he wanted to see what life was like outside the tank. I had him for 7+ months in my 33 and last week I took the canopy off for some cleaning but didn't put it back one when I was done. I came back later that night and found him on the carpet. :( He was real cool and lucky for me would eat anything he could fit in his mouth. He would eat live brine, frozen foods, flakes, even some of the coral phyto mixtures I put in the tank. He was always the first one to go after the food and even has tried to clean my arm a couple of time when I had it in the tank. I would definitely get another one again when I get my larger tank set up.