Cannibalism

Coral Hind

Well, I came home from work and did my normal tank census to find out I was missing a GBTA. Then I found it barely sticking out of a RBTA. All the tenticles and most of the body was inside the Rose.

gallery_196_516_92015.jpg

By the time I returned with the camera is started to spit it out.

gallery_196_516_325977.jpg

Not much left.

Do has the rose started to act sick?

that's awesome..and sorry for your loss of course..

I would like to know how exactly that GBTA even got into the clutches of the RBTA. Would it not have had to basically make its way right up to it,? And why on earth would it get close enough to touch?

Do has the rose started to act sick?

The Rose is fine but I threw the GBTA away this morning. The victim was attached to a small piece of rubble and was slightly above the Rose. I am guessing that it fell into the rose. I would have figured the rose would have just deflated and moved instead of eating it.

I find this subject very interesting. I wonder if there is a record anywhere of this type of anemone behavior - anyone know of anything?

I wonder if your RBTA + GBTA will turn in to a YBTA? You could get rich!

Somebody slap him! :lol2:

That's the first time I heard of that too!

I wonder if it came loose and fell into the RBTA and instinct took its toll?

Might explain why it spit it out? I guess the digestive juices are stronger that the GBTA?

Chips Anenome tank is loaded with BTA and it seems they don't have any issues either?

Post 5700 :wacko:

That's fascinating, they must be different enought genetically / proteinaciously that the rose viewed the green as a competitor. In the past I've seen them dissolve other adjascent Cnidarins and vice versa, but another E. quad, that's super weird. Maybe some taxonomic revision should be in order for the Entacmaea. Are they both clones? wild caught? do they have any ancestors or progenitors still living together?

Interestingly enough, I had this happen about 5 months ago, and didn't think anything about it. I figured it was more of just a killing of the other specie. I actually added a GBTA to a tank with 4 RBTA's last night. I'm hoping this is something not in the norm, as I didn't expect it was.

Interestingly enough, I had this happen about 5 months ago, and didn't think anything about it. I figured it was more of just a killing of the other specie. I actually added a GBTA to a tank with 4 RBTA's last night. I'm hoping this is something not in the norm, as I didn't expect it was.

My green and red live side by side and my red is 4 times larger. :clap:

hey... don't blame me... I was feeding the RBTA tofu and piping sanskrit music into the tank. :biggrin: dano