40 gallon skimmerless tank

This is my 40 gallon that I started 9 months ago. I decided to run it without a skimmer just to see what happens. As of today, my nitrates are between 2-10 ppm, alkalinity is at 4meq/l, calcium is at 450ppm, and ph is at 8.15. It is lit by a 400w 10k MH and 2) 32w PC's. The 'fuge is lit by a 6500k 42w CF bulb. I run the refugium on the RDP cycle and also employ a medium depth DSB in the main sump. I do bi-weekly water changes and add 30ml each of Brightwells Reefcode A and B daily. I also add 3 drops of Lugols every day. I have 5 fish, an Emerald Crab, a mantis shrimp, some jumbo Nass. snails, and an assortment of hermits and other types of snails. I feed 3 types of food daily and have zero nuisance algae or cyano in the DT. There is a little cyano and nuisance algae in the 'fuge, but nothing to worry me.

I'll post some pics leading to the present, but here is one from today:

gallery_2631654_455_433724.jpg

That looks good. My 20g right now has no sump and no skimmer. It's being used right now as a purple up tank and a copepod tank. I currently have two clowns and a scooter blenny keeping things in check along with a small cleanup crew.

That is a very nice and clean looking tank you have there. It proves you can have a nice looking, low cost, low tech tank if you pick the right things to put in it and set it up right. Thanks for sharing.

(edited)
How much are your water changes?

Total system is about 80 gallons and I do about 15-20g w/c. I believe that anyone can set up a tank like this for less than $500 and have a tank just as nice as those that have spent far more.

I look at it this way- the money that I've saved on un-necessary equipment, is money that I've spent on nice corals. I've also noticed that this system grows corals much faster than conventional systems. I've stuck mostly to softies and zoas, but since I've gotten my calcium, alk, and ph stabilized, my montiporas are growing just as rapidly.

I believe with more frequent w/c and a little less fish food, an all SPS version of this tank could be realistically done.

Edited by zygote2k

I've also noticed that this system grows corals much faster than conventional systems

Actually, this reminds me of the all-natural Aquapod at Aquarium One in Rockville - their frogspawn has just grown out of control and taken over the tank

Thanks Khalid.

If anyone is interested in setting one of these up, I'll be glad to donate some macro.

Dragons' Breath (Halymenia) is almost ready to give away.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone interested in setting up a similar system?

I wouldn't mind trying out some Dragons' Breath to see how it does. I am setting up a new remote fuge and have typically done just cheato. Let me know if some becomes available.

Thanks

Anyone interested in setting up a similar system?

Did I misunderstand this question or did I miss the reply?

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Rob-

I'm very interested in turning my current 40g breeder into a skimmerless softie tank with just a refugium once I get my cube running. Any chance you could save a frag of the green sinularia and the leather for me? Also, I was going to experiment with PC lighting on the softie tank.......do you see any issues with that?

Steve

Edited by steveoutlaw

PC's are great lights. I used to use them back in the day as a close alternative to halides. I think they are as good as T5's or better.

I've never cut the Sinularia. You can get a piece from Chip. As far as the big leather goes, get a piece at FF.

I'll be setting up an ATS (algal turf scrubber) with a dump bucket that empties on the top right of the tank soon. I'll still have the refugium too. I'll try to grow Dragons Breath exclusively in the ATS.

• 1 month later...

Things are growing and some things went to other tanks. I'm trying to maintain sps quality water and grow more sps. I absolutely love my Neon Green Sinularia from Flowerseller. I've had it for over a year now. No need for the ATS scrubber either.

gallery_2631654_455_767294.jpg

That's a lonely picture without that massive leather coral!

+1 That leather was very cool. The sinularia doesn't have as much bulk to fill the space.

• 2 months later...

As of today, my SPS are growing steadily and my params are 0ppm NO3, 0ppm P04, 450 ppm cal, 3.5meq/l alk, 8.19 ph.

Absolutely no need for a skimmer. No nuisance algaes or cyano either.

They said it couldn't be done- I now have proof that says otherwise. I encourage more people to try this simple system because it works.