40 gallon skimmerless tank

Hey Rob, tank is looking good! When I was talking about being skimmerless I was talking about a tank that has a lot of fish in it. Looks like you have 2 fish, maybe more, but all fairly small? Issues come up when you have lots of fish, IMO, or very large fish. They require more food and therefore produce more waste and removing it before it contributes to nutrients and requires removal is what a skimmer is for. I know that that guy did studies on skimmers but I think what you have to look at is what impact these nutrients and detritus do to the tank when they don't get removed immediately. I believe that his study was based on dissolved organics but did not necessarily look at the solid material that was removed.

I have 6 fish- Scopas Tang, Lamarcks Angel, Flame Hawk, 6" Engineer Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Tailspot Blenny. About 5 hermits, 5 trochus, 10 or so nassarius, and tons of planktonic species. I never saw the need to pack the tank with fish, many people have too many fish in their tanks. More fish=more waste=more disease=more money spent on cleaning the problems associated with more fish. If you tell me how I can measure the dissolved organics in the water column, I'll do so. I have very little detritus anywhere- maybe it gets processed by something.

I maintain calcium and alkalinity with Brightwell 2 part. I actually pour some in every morning. This manual addition is virtually unheard of in these parts with all the dosing systems that purpotedly do the job for you.

I'll post pics tonight.

• 1 month later...

I'm moving toward an all SPS tank now. Everyone always asks the question if this system can support SPS. The answer is a definitive YES.

Montiporas grow fast, the slimer has doubled in size in a few months, the blue torts and efflos are encrusting their bases and I have yet to see a coral turn brown. In fact, the brown corals that I have received from friends have colored up nicely. I've started to buy or trade for the more expensive SPS just to see if they can thrive in this system.

I have a Tyree Efflo, Green Efflo, Oregon Tort, Cali Tort, Hawkins Echinata, Pink Limeade, Monti Danae, Monti Setosa, Superman Digi, FLowerpetal Monti, Hulk Acro, and a few unidentified acros and millies.

The only thing strange that I notice from time to time is an oil slick on the surface. Maybe it is caused by planktonic critters blooming. It goes away after a few days though.

Save your skimmer money and invest in corals.

• 3 weeks later...

Rob, can you get closer shots of the Lamarck's "pair" you have? It'll be interesting to see what types of behaviors they show in your system. I'm curious as to how they'll do in a 40 together with other fish. Last I spoke to John he mentioned that the angels will spawn after dark, so it'll be neat to see what they do after the lights go out. Are they both mature fish yet or are they still juveniles? From your picture it looks like you have 2 females so I would expect the larger one will be the one to change over to a male if it in fact does so, but I wonder if that will happen in a 40 as these are full size angels, albeit small ones.

They have so far been getting along, but a little of the larger one picking on the smaller. The small one follows the big one constantly and gets nipped for its' proximity. Lights are off and all fish appear to be sleeping. I really have no idea if the big one is mature, but I do believe both are females. I'll post more updates as they come.