Moving to Fairfax, VA Soon!

Ryan S

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan, and I'll be moving to Fairfax in less than 2 months. I currently have a 135g mixed reef, and a 38g fowlr that I'll be bringing with me. I currently live in Manhattan, KS - and will be driving a budget truck out to VA May 30- June 1 (3 days on the road, 2 nights in a hotel).

I look forward to joining WAMAS, it looks like a great club, and I've been reading posts for some time now. I am currently an active member in the Kansas circle, and love meeting / talking to fellow reefers.

I had a question to ask you all. Have any of you made a long road trip like this, and successfully transported your livestock? Right now, my LFS has offered to hold my fish / anemone / corals, and ship them from Kansas City International to Reagan Airport, via Air Cargo, I don't know what that would cost, maybe $100? That's not so bad, and would give me time to get the tank up and running for a week or two, before having her ship them. So this is what I am leaning towards, but in the back of my mind I've wondered if I could transport everything successfully too.

We will be towing our honda accord behind the budget truck. I could hook up a converter or run battery powered air stones in several rubbermaids with the fish. I don't think temperature would be an issue, but if it was, I could run heat or A/C in the car? I would then change 1-2g of water each evening from each rubbermaid? What do you think? Too hard/not worth the risk? Or doable?

I want to wish you best of luck with your move. I have no idea where Manhattan, KS is, so I google mapped it and it seems to be less then a 20 hour drive. I would think if you were to transport the livestock it should be completely fine. Most times when ordering fish online, they spend close to 24 hours in a sealed bag and flown across the country.

I will say this, my parents have a house in Key West, FL and my sister was down there for spring break and she brought me back an 8" porky puffer, a hefty decorator crab, a crazy all white cucumber and a red urchin. Basically my parents took some furniture down in their RV and drove back a week later....took 24 hours drive time. They were in a 5g bucket with an airstone....and a month later they are all still doing great.

I would setup your tank here and wait for the cycle to end before transporting them across the country. They would more than likely make it but then die from the cyling of the new tank.

And if any of you happen to work for the Dept. of Justice, or the DC Public Defender's Office, please PM me. I am still looking for a job in DC! (I am a lawyer). I will hook you up with some sweet corals from out west if you can help me with a job! ;)

If you trust your LFS to keep your corals for you, do it. You stand a much better chance of survival IMHO.

Welcome to the group!

Leave with a local reefer and have them send once you are set up here? Think this would be best. I'm sure the sig other's first priority would be a fishtank once you get here! :clap:

Manhattan KS huh? Went through there in 95 with the cross country Solar Car race. So many hills...

Welcome

Yea, I think leaving / having shipped is probably the smartest idea. Air Freight would be pretty fast from tank to tank to. I think that's what I'll do.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Can't wait to move out and come to club meetings. I'll post some pics of my tanks soon too. Maybe do a before and after the move comparison.

Welcome to WAMAS :)

Tried to edit my post....but I couldn't.

Sorry I reread your original post and didn't realize you were going to be on the road for so long. I would take everything to the fish store and have it shipped once you get settled in over here.

And if any of you happen to work for the Dept. of Justice, or the DC Public Defender's Office, please PM me. I am still looking for a job in DC! (I am a lawyer). I will hook you up with some sweet corals from out west if you can help me with a job! ;)

Oh, yeah... my dream job! Public defender in WashDC...

Welcome to WAMAS!

bob

Welcome to WAMAS!

For $100 I would get it shipped whenever you are ready to properly get them in the newly setup tank.

I would take the rock and sand to speed up the cycle.

B.

(edited)
Welcome to WAMAS!

For $100 I would get it shipped whenever you are ready to properly get them in the newly setup tank.

I would take the rock and sand to speed up the cycle.

B.

Thank you so much. This is definitely what I am going to do. I am so excited to move out!

Does anyone here live in the Fairfax area? We've been leaning towards a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment at Van Metre at Fairfax Square. It's around $1430/month. I'd love to find a detached though.

Edited by Ryan S

Thank you so much. This is definitely what I am going to do. I am so excited to move out!

Does anyone here live in the Fairfax area? We've been leaning towards a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment at Van Metre at Fairfax Square. It's around $1430/month. I'd love to find a detached though.

Prices decrease with the square of the distance from the center...

i.e. - the further from WashDC you live - the cheaper it is. Fairfax is fairly expensive, but not the most expensive. Nice area, though. Fairfax Square I've never seen. But Yen Chien (something like that) chinese restaurant is a 2-minute walk! :) route '66' is a 6-minute drive. Metro stop is only maybe 10-15 min drive. You are no more than 15 minutes from almost every store you can imagine. I can check out Fairfax Square on Saturday if you like... hehehe

bob

Why Fairfax? Don't get me wrong, I live in Fairfax and like it a lot, but I work in DC and getting there takes me over an hour in the mornings, regardless of driving my car, my motorcycle or taking the metro.

If I were you I will rent the cheapest available anywhere until I knew for sure where I was going to work.

Otherwise look into something close (as in walking distance) to the metro because nowadays, Fairfax/Vienna Metro parking is full by 8am, you can't use 66 into the city until after 9:30pm unless you have 2 ppl in the car, and the only other way in is Route 50 with tons of traffic lights. The metro, by the way, cost as much as driving and paying for parking. $4,40 each way to Metro Center plus $4,50 for parking.

I like Fairfax because it is a good compromise between being close to shopping areas and the city for fun nightlife, with a tranquil area with great schools.

But with current prices of houses, and would seriously consider something inside the beltway.

Just my $.02!

I live in Fairfax (Fair Lakes). It's not a bad commute to DC, at least for me it isn't and it does not take me an hour if I drive. If you leave later in the mornings it will take you longer and if you take Metro it will take you an hour on a good day when it's not broken or jumping tracks. I leave my house about 6:15 - 6:30 and get to work at 7:00. Going home is the fun part. I don't know how traffic is in KS, but out here...Well you'll see. I don't know about living in any places off Main St. If the places were built within the last 2-3 years then maybe. Otherwise, I'd pass. Try looking around the Fair Lakes or Fairfax Corner area. I've lived all over Fairfax and DC. Reston isn't a bad choice if you are primarily looking to drive into work. A metro station is planned to be open there in the next 3-4 years.

welcome to the club and the area!!!

my .02 is why limit your opportunities to just DC? I'm sure there are plenty of places in the fairfax area that might fit your employment needs without the drive.

Wow, look at all the replies! You are all so helpful and so kind! I could get used to this very quickly! :)

The reason I have to work in DC, is because I am licensed to practice law in DC, but not in VA, or MD. So no matter what, I'll have to find work in DC.

My girlfriend will be working here, starting in June: http://www.southpaws.com/

It's located at: 8500 Arlington Blvd. Fairfax, VA 22031 -- So this is why we chose Fairfax basically.

We currently have 2 vehicles, my honda accord, and her jeep cherokee. The "current plan" is to sell her Cherokee out here in Kansas, for $2000, and tow the honda behind the budget truck. She would then commute to work everyday via the car, and I would take a Metro Bus to the Fairfax Metro Station, or some apartments offer a free shuttle there, or ideally, I could be close enough to walk, but those apartments are usually priced out of our reach.

I suppose we could keep both vehicles, and consider relocating to somewhere else besides Fairfax? I guess the ideal goal would be to find an apartment close enough to the Fairfax Metro that I could walk to it everyday, and she could have a short drive to work each day?

Wow, look at all the replies! You are all so helpful and so kind! I could get used to this very quickly! :)

The reason I have to work in DC, is because I am licensed to practice law in DC, but not in VA, or MD. So no matter what, I'll have to find work in DC.

that would explain it...lol maybe look on the post office web site i had a friend that worked as a eeoc(?) lawyer for them. or usajobs

good luck in your search

(edited)
that would explain it...lol maybe look on the post office web site i had a friend that worked as a eeoc(?) lawyer for them. or usajobs

good luck in your search

There are tons of jobs for lawyers around dc, just a matter of finding a job in the area you want to be in. Most of them do not involve actual litigation, it's more about writing regulations to implement the laws congress passes. You'll find jobs at dept of labor, dept of commerce, etc etc etc. All US government jobs are hired through usajobs. Put your resume in there (it's not just an upload, you have to fill out their form) and begin searching and applying - you'll have to write responses to the KSAs for every job you apply to. Your responses to the KSAs are the most important part for getting rated and selected for an interview. The hiring process is unusually long and drawn out for no apparent reason, but that's just how it works. If you're interested in working for the post office, i believe the postal regulatory agency is still hiring lawyers. Most boring work possible for an attorney, IMO, but the pay is pretty good and the hours aren't too long (compared to the K St lawyers anyway).

Edited by Brian Ward

I work right outside of DC and live in Woodbridge. You can take the train in from woodbridge and there are quite a few forclosures out that way. Give it a look.

My girlfriend will be working here, starting in June: http://www.southpaws.com/

It's located at: 8500 Arlington Blvd. Fairfax, VA 22031 -- So this is why we chose Fairfax basically.

We currently have 2 vehicles, my honda accord, and her jeep cherokee. The "current plan" is to sell her Cherokee out here in Kansas, for $2000, and tow the honda behind the budget truck. She would then commute to work everyday via the car, and I would take a Metro Bus to the Fairfax Metro Station, or some apartments offer a free shuttle there, or ideally, I could be close enough to walk, but those apartments are usually priced out of our reach.

I suppose we could keep both vehicles, and consider relocating to somewhere else besides Fairfax? I guess the ideal goal would be to find an apartment close enough to the Fairfax Metro that I could walk to it everyday, and she could have a short drive to work each day?

One thing that might take some getting used to is the attitude about commuting out here. Truthfully - people in general think nothing of a 2-hour drive to work. I had one person working for me that drove down from the middle of Pennsylvania. Same way with buying corals and stuff here - we TRY to avoid driving a couple of hours to pick up a coral frag - but we do it anyhow.

bob