DIY MH project

Sph2sail

i quickly realized how flawed my idea was(tranformers and capcitorsleak in their old age):(, so i apologize. what about resessing a electical panel into the wall (if you own the place) you could do it low or high( enough to hang a pisture on it) so it would be less conspicuous and hide your wires accordingly. hope this helps, Gary  ???

The MagneTek ballasts generate way too much heat to safely put them inside a wall.  Ah well.  I already have a cooling fan in the box.

Somehow I think where I have them is where they are gonna be for quite a while.

s

Can you tell me a little more about your cable system?  My tank is in my wall and I have my hood hanging on two chains that go through two loops on each side.  So when I mess around in my tank I just shorten the chains up to raise it... I've been looking for something else though.  I'm wondering how easy the cable system you have would make it, otherwise I think I might go with two pulleys or something like that.

The cable system is kinda cool.  Came from Sunlight Supply through Hydro Grow Lighting, their local rep.  They are for hanging lighting in hydroponic systems.

Sunlight Supply Wire suspension kit

Prod # 750000

$35ea

Holds 50lb per kit

They are at:

13400 Occoquan Road

Woodbridge VA 22191

(703) 490-0700

Basically, it comes with a mounting plate/bracket for the ceiling and a nifty spring loaded jam device that you thread the stainless steel cable through.  To lift it, I simply hold up the end of the hood and pull the cable through the jam, then it holds.  To lower it, I lift the hood a bit, press down the jam release, and the cable slides through.

Slick.

I bought two kits so I can hold up all four corners easily.  Based on weight loading, I only need the one, but it seemed safer to support all 4 corners, as bulbs can break if the balance of the hood is not perfect and you whack the top of your tank by accident.

s

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Am new to WAMAS and new to the hobby (at least salt water). Am very interested in the DIY light that is in this thread. Have a couple of questions ...

1. do you have both the MH 250W ballast and the PC balast in the metal box (drill box)?

2. How are you finding the hanging cables for the hood itself? How high do they take hood up?

3. Was thinking of instead of using a metal box of building an "addition" to my stand that can act as a shelf and extra storage to house my ballast. You hink this is feasible or would you stick with metal?

4. Did you consider putting the box inside your stand? Or were you worried about leaks and/or space?

Thanks in advance.

John

• 1 year later...